[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

The MCU marketing team wants people to discuss the subject of not spoiling Endgame. They want people to easily be able to find others discussing not spoiling Endgame.
This seems like it could easily backfire. It's like gathering the delicious hobbits together so they're easy pickings for the trolls.

figmentPez

Staff member
This seems like it could easily backfire. It's like gathering the delicious hobbits together so they're easy pickings for the trolls.
Indeed, that thought has crossed my mind. That does not change that it's still an appropriate use of a hashtag.

As an example, I was at the Crystal Bridges museum of American art last week. They had an exhibit about superheroes in pop culture: Men of Steel, Women of Wonder. They had signs saying it was okay to take pictures (without a flash) and to tag them #moswow. Now, by Gas's argument, this is a terrible tag, because no one would search for moswow if they had never seen the sign at the exhibit. By his logic they should have had #Superman #WonderWoman #CrystalBridges #NormanRockwell #EtcEtcEtc on the wall, and not the specific hashtag about the exhibit. Never mind that someone seeing an Instagram post from a friend at that exhibit, could then go on to follow the link in that hashtag to see the posts other people had made from there, without finding all posts about Superman, or all posts about Wonder Woman, or all posts about the museum as a whole. They'd be able to find posts about their specific interest, which is the purpose of hashtags in social media.

GasBandit

Staff member
Why would a LETTER have generic tags in it?
Why would a letter have any hashtags in it at all? At least, if it's a letter that can't have hyperlinks. As MD said, it would have been best to not write the hashtag on the paper and put it in the tweet the picture was embedded in (and that's not even touching the inanity of taking a photograph of a handwritten piece of paper and posting that instead of just straight up typing in an electronic medium to begin with). And then it could have had all the properly descriptive tags as needed.
Hashtags don't exist solely for searches with no context. That's like saying "If someone followed this link to page 12 of the webcomic without having read the first 11 pages, it would be completely useless." The purpose of this hashtag is to allow people who have been made aware of the issue to easily find other people discussing the issue. That is part of the explicit purpose of how hashtags are supposed to work. Oh, hey, this tweet has been tagged #SpecificTopic, I can easily click on the hashtag to find other people discussing Specific Topic.
That also breaks down because all too often people just go crazy inventing extra hashtags and drowning useful ones in a sea of nonsense. I'm not railing against Troy and Abed using the hashtag #AnniesMove to livetweet Annie's Move.
Are you wanting to have a discussion with people on social media about, specifically, pale redheads in stockings turning you on? NO? Then what you're saying here has no relevance to the issue at hand. The MCU marketing team wants people to discuss the subject of not spoiling Endgame. They want people to easily be able to find others discussing not spoiling Endgame. Finding other people discussing the #MCU in general, or even #Endgame as a whole would not be the same as trying to find the specific topic of #DontSpoilTheEndgame. They also wouldn't want to use #EndgameSpoilers because that's a tag people wanting to avoid hearing spoilers wouldn't read, whereas they might read a discussion about NOT spoiling the movie.
And really, my initial comment was not specifically about this letter, but about the common forms of hashtag abuse. We seem to have gotten a little off into the weeds, then trying to apply my gripes about the practice in general to this specific example.

But yeah, it's still extra stupid to write a note by hand, put a hashtag on the paper, take a picture of it, and tweet that picture.

Avengers: Endgame’ surpasses $100 Million in China on Opening Day, easily giving it the record for the biggest opening day in Chinese history, surpassing domestic film “Monster Hunt 2” (which did not have midnight previews). (Variety)

Just got back from it.

Short review: Loved it.

Longer review: Looooooooooooooved it.

Slightly longer, more serious review: It's great. Perhaps not quite as good as Infinity War as a movie, but as a spectacle, as an emotional vehicle, and as a satisfying conclusion to the current Avengers arc, it definitely hits all the right notes.

Long review, with tons of spoilers, like seriously there are spoilers out the wazoo here:

I saw a Youtube video that analyzed Civil War, and compared it to Batman vs Superman. The video asked why did Civil War succeed where BvS failed? And the conclusion it drew is that the conflict and story in Civil War was based on the characters, and that we had watched these characters grow and change and develop, and could easily see how Cap and Iron Man's character arcs and paths would put them in conflict. Cap went from the super-patriotic guy in The First Avenger to gradually becoming disillusioned over the course of Avengers 1 and Winter Soldier. Iron Man went from the rogue genius playboy in Iron Man 1 and 2 to screwing up everything in Age of Ultron, until he eventually accepted that some limitations are good. These are organic developments in their characters, which we got to see over the course of several movies. Whereas Batman and Superman were fighting because the plot required them to, and not in a very good way. *cough*Martha

This applies to all the MCU characters, we've watched them grow and learn and win and lose and change, and that's why Endgame is so satisfying on a storytelling level. The first half or two thirds of the movie is very light on action and spectacle. So much of it involves the characters talking to each other, with various scenes exploring how they became the people they are today, and what is left to drive them forward on the morrow of their greatest failure. This trend continues even after they embark on their scheme to grab the Infinity Stones in the past. Thor and Tony get one last conversation with their deceased parents, and can reflect on the type of people they've become. Nat and Clint acknowledge how they've both been improved by the other's friendship. These interactions make these characters seem much more human, which makes their sacrifices and losses more impactful.

Speaking of human, another thing I thought was interesting is that Endgame acknowledges that these characters are mortal, and have mortal wants and desires and flaws and quirks, and that's okay. Tony has a wife and daughter, and is terrified of jumping back into the fray because he doesn't want to lose them. Thor's lost hope after failing to undo the snap. Steve abandons his life as Captain America so that he can finally have the life he missed out on with Peggy. Can anyone fault them? We might expect these heroes, these titans, to be superhuman in their ability to sacrifice everything, even their own lives and happiness, in the pursuit of what's right, but can we really blame them for wanting some peace of their own? Is that not what it means to be human?

So, with all these great character moments, what about the action and the spectacle? The movie delivers on that front too. The final battle is basically one long series of payoffs, with the return of the snapped, Cap finally calling for the Avengers to assemble, Cap being worthy, the charge of the heroines, Carol standing toe to toe against Thanos, etc. It's pure adrenaline and pure satisfaction from beginning to end.

I also liked how this movie rewards fans of the franchise. Not only did the time travel element allow the audience to revisit past films, there were also nods to previous events or plot points, such as the elevator fight. There were also tons of returning characters for fans to spot, even if they were just brief non-speaking cameos.

If I had to pick some deficiencies, the movie seems to ignore its own time travel rules when convenient, so don't think about it too hard, seriously. Also, I wish we'd seen more of how Banner and Hulk did their merge to become Professor Hulk. Cause right now the movie just goes, "Oh by the way, we made peace with each other, so now I'm green and smart, cool huh?"

All in all, an excellent experience. Not as focused as Infinity War, but that's inevitable given all that has to happen. But overall I'm satisfied with how the film, and these characters, were handled by the Russo brothers. They know their stuff, and I hope they get more chances to make Marvel movies in the future.

Finally, yes, everyone's hot.

Last edited:
Oh man that was just the greatest. I'm completely exhausted, but my favorite moments include:

"Hail Hydra"
That one moment that we all knew and hoped was coming--Thor's hammer in Captain American's hand
Ant-man and that fucking taco.

When they first traveled back to 2012 New York and they gave us that shot of them all together, Jun was like "Hey, that was our first date".

HOLY GOD DAMNED SHIT-that was the greatest, kinda sad they did Black Widow like that, but EVERYTHING else was amazing! Also, I'm just wandering how they'll explore the COMPLETELY separate timeline made from borrowing the Infinity stones, one where Lokis is NOT ONLY alive but ALSO has the Tesseract, Gamora never joined the Guardians of the Galaxy, and a WHOLE bunch of other stuff that snowballed from all of that!

And Tony-GRAH-what a BEAUTIFUL swansong for the character, ending it on a bang! And ending the film with the sound of him forging the Iron man armor, freaking CHILLS yo! Ultimately this may be the best version OF Tony Stark as he gets something that the comic book version will never get: An ending.

I'm also surprised so many people are hating on what happened to Cap, PRIMARILY since we'll get a Sam Wilson who'll be allowed to STAY Captain America instead of being forced to get rid of the shield because branding. Also there is NO god damned way Cap didn't have kids with Peggy. Where is Steve Junior Steve?! Or Stephanie? SHOW ME!

Fun easter egg but possible spoiler for Infinity War, in case someone hasn't watched it yet and has been living under a completely impermeable rock since its release.
Search for "Thanos" on Google, an Infinity Gauntlet will appear in the box on the right. Click on it.

Then, afterwards, click it again.

Fun easter egg but possible spoiler for Infinity War, in case someone hasn't watched it yet and has been living under a completely impermeable rock since its release.
Search for "Thanos" on Google, an Infinity Gauntlet will appear in the box on the right. Click on it.

Then, afterwards, click it again.
The number of results dropping by half at the end is a nice touch.