[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

Saw it and really liked it. I enjoyed the way they played around with their own formula. Larson was awesome and I am looking forward to more of her in Endgame.

Last edited:
I bought tickets for Saturday.

The seats are less good than what we had for opening, but if we don't see it next weekend, we're going to miss it due to other movies coming up. There are way too many I want to see this year.

I bought tickets for Saturday.

The seats are less good than what we had for opening, but if we don't see it next weekend, we're going to miss it due to other movies coming up. There are way too many I want to see this year.
I would say to see it before you see Endgame, it would be worth pushing a different movie back for that.

I would say to see it before you see Endgame, it would be worth pushing a different movie back for that.
Like I said, we're going Saturday, I'm just explaining why I won't wait for one of those other weekends despite the worse seats. But even then, AMC strips out the non-3D non-Imax screenings significantly after the first weekend, so that probably explains why there are fewer seat options. The people who don't want 3D and/or Imax end up squeezing into the same two showtimes. Odds are if we wait, it's going to be 3D/Imax and we're just not doing that.

Like I said, we're going Saturday, I'm just explaining why I won't wait for one of those other weekends despite the worse seats. But even then, AMC strips out the non-3D non-Imax screenings significantly after the first weekend, so that probably explains why there are fewer seat options. The people who don't want 3D and/or Imax end up squeezing into the same two showtimes. Odds are if we wait, it's going to be 3D/Imax and we're just not doing that.
Interesting, around here it's the opposite. The 3D showings just about go away and it's just the normal digital showing that gets all the screen space. Personally I avoid the 3D stuff, haven't seen anything that really benefited from the tech outside of a Disney Park, and that is usually augmented by a flight simulator setup.

All it's really going to do is see RT get rid of user reviews and go back to vetted sources. Say what you will about critics, they at least aren't going to downvote a movie out of spite and certainly not enmass.
I tend to only look at CinemaScore for audience stuff like this. Intercepts aren’t perfect survey methods, but at the very least, CS captures people who were actually inside the theater the film was showing at.

Brigading has essentially killed off the value of aggregated user reviews for anything that manages to embroil itself in controversy, fake or otherwise.

EDIT: Saw it in Saturday, had a great time. The Staneo got me giggling, and the updated Marvel logo put a lump in my throat in the first 30 seconds.

In countless Facebook and YouTube comments, alt-righters keep saying they’ll watch Alita instead. And it’s a fairly common trope/stereotype that alt-righters jerk off to anime.

So, after letting it stew for a couple of days (in a good way) I've decided to post my thoughts about Captain Marvel:

So, I liked the movie. Enjoyed it, as a stand alone film. Good action sequences, good detail to revealing Carol's past and memories, even good use of Goose the Cat.

But....

The main issue I had with the whole thing was that it was a "prequel" or more appropriately a Flashback. There weren't any real stakes on the line for the movie. You knew that Nick, Carol, and Coulson would make it through. It's the same problem that all Episodes 1-3 had with Star Wars, that Rogue One and Solo had, that even the Hobbit (even though there are many more in all of them) had. You know who is coming out the other side of the movie.

Hmmm, Nick Fury (sorry, everyone calls him Fury) sent a pager message out at the end of Infinity War, so no question about Carol making it through. The tension that should be generated about the confrontation with the Supreme Intelligence was yanked out from under us before the movie started. It was fun to watch, but you know that Carol is gonna be full on full-power super-being by the time it's over.

I loved all the 90's nostalgia, the nods to Mall Rats and Pulp Fiction, the reveal of what Goose actually was. I liked that it game enough info to give a hint at how Carol can be the one to reverse the SNAP. Loved the change to the Marvel opening to have nothing but Stan Lee. Liked the changes from the comics to the history of the Kree and Skrulls, makes sense in universe.

I'm happy that I saw it, just wish that it could have been a seeming "one shot" movie earlier in the franchise instead of being a flashback right before the finale of the current generation of heroes.

I'm so glad our theater now has reserved seating. I haven't seen a trailer in theaters in months, can entirely miss them if I want.
And I do. I already know I'm seeing this, the less I watch beforehand, the better.

You know what? These trailers give almost nothing away. It's amazing. Hype without spoilers.
I believe you, but my brain hangs on to little things and I don't want to spend the movie wondering when ___ blank image will pop up.

I'm loving the new poster though!
IMG_20190314_120720.jpg

I hope you don't mind if I switch gears a bit...

I found this article interesting about Shang Chi. Basically, the author argues that Shang Chi is running the risk of perpetuating potentially harmful stereotypes about the "mystical powers" of martial arts. He applauds the hiring of Asian or Asian-American people for writing and directing duties (as well as the obvious casting choices that are sure to come), hoping that they give the same dignity and authenticity to Asian culture that Black Panther did for African culture. But he also talks about how martial arts itself has a history of pushing bullshit ideas of how people can shatter metal or dodge bullets if they train hard enough in kung-fu, karate, or other disciplines. And given the comic character's history of doing just those sorts of things, he's got a point.

I hope that this is taken into consideration, and they avoid some of the ridiculous tropes about martial arts masters having magical powers. It has enough potential with Shang Chi as a gifted hand-to-hand fighter kicking bad guy asses in an action or spy thriller setting. It could have tones similar to The Raid, or the Bourne films, or even many of the more grounded kung-fu flicks. But if he isn't supposed to have superpowers I don't want to see him fly or blow up a tank with one kick.

I found this article interesting about Shang Chi. Basically, the author argues that Shang Chi is running the risk of perpetuating potentially harmful stereotypes about the "mystical powers" of martial arts. He applauds the hiring of Asian or Asian-American people for writing and directing duties (as well as the obvious casting choices that are sure to come), hoping that they give the same dignity and authenticity to Asian culture that Black Panther did for African culture. But he also talks about how martial arts itself has a history of pushing bullshit ideas of how people can shatter metal or dodge bullets if they train hard enough in kung-fu, karate, or other disciplines. And given the comic character's history of doing just those sorts of things, he's got a point.

I hope that this is taken into consideration, and they avoid some of the ridiculous tropes about martial arts masters having magical powers. It has enough potential with Shang Chi as a gifted hand-to-hand fighter kicking bad guy asses in an action or spy thriller setting. It could have tones similar to The Raid, or the Bourne films, or even many of the more grounded kung-fu flicks. But if he isn't supposed to have superpowers I don't want to see him fly or blow up a tank with one kick.
While I do not necessarily disagree that potentially harmful stereotypes should be avoided, as an Asian person, I don't think this issue is a big deal. The way I see it, it's no worse than films portraying technology being able to do ridiculous things (like the Iron Man suits, or Vibranium technology), or medical science being stretched to the breaking point of plausibility (radioactive spiders, super-soldier serum, etc).

So I would have no problem with seeing Shang Chi dodge bullets or shatter tanks with his fist. Alternatively, if they want to go for a more realistic and grounded approach, that's fine too. As long as the final product is a good, entertaining movie, I'm ok with either way.

OTOH if Shang Chi doesn't have at least some superhuman martial arts abilities that could imply he is somehow inferior to Iron Fist who does have those abilities which just opens that whole can of worms again.

Plus purely human incredibly skilled hand to hand combatant is Black Widow's thing isn't it?

OTOH if Shang Chi doesn't have at least some superhuman martial arts abilities that could imply he is somehow inferior to Iron Fist who does have those abilities which just opens that whole can of worms again.

Plus purely human incredibly skilled hand to hand combatant is Black Widow's thing isn't it?
I always thought she had a more "sneaky, shadowy, kills-you-when-you-least-expect-it" vibe.

I always thought she had a more "sneaky, shadowy, kills-you-when-you-least-expect-it" vibe.
The movies at least have been steadily moving her away from that and into "fights incredibly strong aliens in hand to hand and wins."

It the comics, Black Widow had been given a super soldier-adjacent serum as part of her Red Room treatment. Since they have never explicitly confirmed or denied it in the MCU, it could be something they mention if she ever gets her solo film.

So...is Thanos Jesus, and the other twelve the Apostles, with her being Judas? Or is she Jesus and the rest are the Apostles and Thanos God? Or...
never mind :p

Dave

Staff member
Close. Danai Gurira's name is missing. She's the ONLY PERSON ON THE POSTER whose name is not included.