[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

I mean, a very large number of incels are also racist, so there's a lot of overlap. It's not "they're not like me so I'm lumping them all together", it's, "if you read an incel forum there's a fuckton of racism, and if you read a white supremacy forum there's no shortage of incels".
Sure, absolutely. And if using the word conveyed anything remotely relevant to the point of the post I'd have no issue with it. It's just a couple times I've seen IronBrig throw out one of these "it's the incels!" posts in a situation that didn't really seem related, and I figured I'd put out some food for thought regarding how he chooses to communicate. Whether or not he does anything with it is out of my hands, and I'm not going to pretend that I'll be stressing about it.

I meant what Null said for the most part. I used to regularly post on a gaming forum and the Venn diagram between racists and incels there was pretty much a circle.

Sure, absolutely. And if using the word conveyed anything remotely relevant to the point of the post I'd have no issue with it. It's just a couple times I've seen IronBrig throw out one of these "it's the incels!" posts in a situation that didn't really seem related, and I figured I'd put out some food for thought regarding how he chooses to communicate. Whether or not he does anything with it is out of my hands, and I'm not going to pretend that I'll be stressing about it.
Would it just be more accurate to label the actions of misogynists? While incels are a form of misogyny, I have no doubt a number of the trolls in these actions may have wives or girlfriends, but still are repulsed by the mere thought of women being treated as equals. It's like the statement that "some of my friends are [minority]" doesn't mean you aren't a bigot. To dimiss these actions merely on those who are not getting physical intimacy is not only feeding into the lie about sex and your value as a human being, but also placing the blame of bigotry on someone else and not the bigot himself.

Would it just be more accurate to label the actions of misogynists? While incels are a form of misogyny, I have no doubt a number of the trolls in these actions may have wives or girlfriends, but still are repulsed by the mere thought of women being treated as equals. It's like the statement that "some of my friends are [minority]" doesn't mean you aren't a bigot. To dimiss these actions merely on those who are not getting physical intimacy is not only feeding into the lie about sex and your value as a human being, but also placing the blame of bigotry on someone else and not the bigot himself.
This depends a bit on context, too. While talking about misogyny more generally when it's an issue of gender is better communication a lot of the time, there are circumstances where it's an organized campaign by self-proclaimed incels, and using the term then is completely appropriate. The issue here was that the discussion was about issues entirely related to race and not at all related to gender, so blaming "incels" for it came across as the same kind of in-group vs out-group, like-me vs not-like-me categorization that leads to racism and misogyny and groups like incels in the first place.

I don't think that IronBrig was doing it on purpose, and as he's explained there are reasons for the groups to overlap in his mind, but I figured it was worth what I'd intended to be a shorter discussion about the value of clear, contextual communication. Oh well!

Dave

Staff member
I love those magic eye stereograms. I might have to go to the site and see what else is there.

Null, I genuinely don't understand why you get worked up about the things that you do.
Because you're being a dismissive pedantic asshole ignoring the very large overlap among people who have a problem with non-white, non-male representation.

Last edited:
Because you're being a dismiss[ive] pedantic asshole ignoring the very large overlap among people who have a problem with non-white, non-male representation.
I don't know if it's the what you get worked up over so much as the degree, like there's so much of it that's somehow personal.

--Patrick

No, your reactions sometimes just seem unexpectedly disproportionate (at least to me).
You know, like I WILL CIRCUMCISE YOUR DOG WITH A BURNING TRAC II IF YOU DON'T USE THE OXFORD COMMA kind of unexpected.

--Patrick

True story: the other day I was arguing with someone and they told me not to burst a blood vessel.

I said, "Rest assured, if I do in fact burst a blood vessel on account of your stupid ass, I will tear the ruptured vein from my flesh, shove it down your throat, and drown you on my blood."

I have no interest in trading insults with you, so you can feel free to claim the victory or whatever it was you were after here.

Dave

Staff member
All of those movies were great except the Ghostbusters one. That movie sucked and was so damned unnecessary.

But what's the fourth one?

All of those movies were great except the Ghostbusters one. That movie sucked and was so damned unnecessary.

But what's the fourth one?
The new She-Ra show. Dumb Internet men were mad that she wasn't drawn as sexually as in the 80s show.

I’m going to agree with Dave, but for a different reason. I thought the cast was great and I don’t mind the idea of a remake/reboot, but the writing was TERRIBLE. I thought every joke fell flat.

But I also know that’s not what these internet A-holes were complaining about when they wanted a Ghostbusters “for them.”

I’m going to agree with Dave, but for a different reason. I thought the cast was great and I don’t mind the idea of a remake/reboot, but the writing was TERRIBLE. I thought every joke fell flat.

But I also know that’s not what these internet A-holes were complaining about when they wanted a Ghostbusters “for them.”
Yeah, the cast was great, but the writing was so lazy and weak it's hard to understand. Paul Feig, with many of those same actresses, can be hilarious. But GB2016 just didn't quite work because the jokes were lame.

No, your reactions sometimes just seem unexpectedly disproportionate (at least to me).
You know, like I WILL CIRCUMCISE YOUR DOG WITH A BURNING TRAC II IF YOU DON'T USE THE OXFORD COMMA kind of unexpected.

--Patrick
Whatever, man. My dog's already been shaved, groomed and neutered

They don't have to be great. If we can have sucky movies starring men, then we can have sucky movies starring women, too.
Honestly, I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, it was watchable, and bad comedy is nothing if not completely unwatchable. It was dumb and forgettable, and was mostly in the news because "fans" hated it, but as someone who wore out at least one Ghostbusters VHS tape, it was fine.

Ironically, I really watch all of these movies at home if I can, but I want to see Captain Marvel in theaters just to add to money made that irritates the griping wieners who are very manly men who only want to see people fighting in tights if they are also manly men. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have tickets to see it opening night. Suck it, misogynists!
So do I.

A recent PVP strip featured the man-baby backlash. On its Facebook page, some of those man-babies immediately started whining about how Larson was racist and sexist for encouraging inclusiveness. Even teh Kurtz weighed in and called them out but there's no reasoning with some people. I mean, how do these grown men end up being so fragile, quarrelsome, and repellent? Who failed them that badly?