[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

Social media reactions are in for Captain Marvel, and they are quite positive:

Angie J. Han may have the best pull quote of the night:

Okay, I know that there's a lot of MCU movies coming in the next two years; I know that Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, and Spider-man 2 are the immediate ones. But news of The Eternals movie is coming out and... I can't seem to get excited about it at all. I've always thought that The Eternals are boring as shit, and I just can't see the film being any better.

Anyone else feel the same way? Or just me?

Okay, I know that there's a lot of MCU movies coming in the next two years; I know that Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, and Spider-man 2 are the immediate ones. But news of The Eternals movie is coming out and... I can't seem to get excited about it at all. I've always thought that The Eternals are boring as shit, and I just can't see the film being any better.

The same was true of the Guardians of the Galaxy for a long, long time. I'm expecting a completely rework of characterization.

The what?
Jack Kirby's New Gods, as done by Jack Kirby when he had to leave DC.

GasBandit

Staff member
I consider myself to be more comic-savvy than your average schmuck, but this is genuinely the first time I've ever heard of this.

I’ve heard of them (though I didn’t follow them), but that might also just be because the mid-80’s were my comics heyday.

—Patrick

But news of The Eternals movie is coming out and... I can't seem to get excited about it at all. I've always thought that The Eternals are boring as shit, and I just can't see the film being any better.

At this moment, yes, the same. But I also felt that way about Thor and Guardians until I saw some footage. I'm with Ash in hoping there will be a revamp like they did to GotG (but maybe not the the same exact tone) that will make me care. I've been pleasantly surprised before.

EDIT: On the other hand, they really dropped the ball with The Inhumans, so maybe not everything can or should be adapted.

EDIT: On the other hand, they really dropped the ball with The Inhumans, so maybe not everything can or should be adapted.
I will just point out that is the difference between the television side and the movie side. Plus, they were trying to fast track the Inhumans to take the place of Mutants, before they knew they were gonna get the Mutants back .

http://www.cracked.com/blog/wait-ti...Dx__O78hyHDI6obyjNXvINZUX7G_w5IK9suOiVVmAAYNg

I mentioned this in the DC thread, but it's more appropriate here. Lots of irate white men are giving Captain Marvel fake one-star reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Apparently asking for more inclusion among film critics is tantamount to calling for white genocide.

Larson: “[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

What the world at large heard, including most white dudes: "I want more film critics of different backgrounds."

What incels heard: "I HATE WHITE GUYS!"

Maybe China's right with the "social credit" system. We could apply it here to the incels, only with a lot more violence. You either end up culled, or beaten into having actual human decency. Call that a win-win.

Maybe China's right with the "social credit" system. We could apply it here to the incels, only with a lot more violence. You either end up culled, or beaten into having actual human decency. Call that a win-win.
I'm honestly surprised their hasn't been a movement for this in the Christian world.

Yeah, I'm a little bit grouchy right now. So much hate and stupid going on around here and no one to put a stop to it. But that's another thread.

There is a heavy overlap between racism and misogyny. The incel who resents women for not dating him will likely become enraged at the prospect of her dating someone of a different race instead.

There are still different meanings for the different terms, and choosing which one to use without consideration of the context reads distressingly like the "they're not like me so they're bad" mentality that's driving them to do the things they're doing. Something to think about.

Surely you meant racists rather than incels?
I mean, a very large number of incels are also racist, so there's a lot of overlap. It's not "they're not like me so I'm lumping them all together", it's, "if you read an incel forum there's a fuckton of racism, and if you read a white supremacy forum there's no shortage of incels".

I know that there have been some changes to the site, but I thought that you could only indicate your intention to see the movie or not?

They allowed you to provide a score on movies that hadn't been seen yet?
Oops. I mean "not interested" previews. They pulled the same crap with the Ghostbusters remake and Black Panther. This wasn't just a small collection of moviegoers who just didn't want to see it for whatever reason. This was a coordinated campaign because a feminist actress scared them.

I mean, a very large number of incels are also racist, so there's a lot of overlap. It's not "they're not like me so I'm lumping them all together", it's, "if you read an incel forum there's a fuckton of racism, and if you read a white supremacy forum there's no shortage of incels".
I saw some incel posts on Reddit and even the Redditors were like "WTF is wrong with you?!"