[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

I looked him up and from his bio he seems to be a generic martial artist who fights stereotypical Chinese villains? I'm assuming the biggest part of the project will be taking his backstory and making it a consistent and compelling narrative - which, to be fair, Marvel has shown that they're capable of doing. I'll hold off judgement until there's more information.

I have no idea who Shang-Chi is. I think he's even less well known than the Guardians of the Galaxy.
His character design somehow always managed to simultaneously remind me of both Bruce Lee and Kwai Chang Caine, but I never really followed the comic.

--Patrick

Anyone else find Shang-Chi to be kinda boring as a character?
Like watching a Bruce Lee movie where all the fight scenes are cut to just stills.

Hopefully the movie can buck the homogeneity of the MCU, and be something interesting.

I looked him up and from his bio he seems to be a generic martial artist who fights stereotypical Chinese villains? I'm assuming the biggest part of the project will be taking his backstory and making it a consistent and compelling narrative - which, to be fair, Marvel has shown that they're capable of doing. I'll hold off judgement until there's more information.
He's also the son of a villain that Marvel has only sporadically owned the rights to and currently does not. This reeks of Disney executives looking at the catalog and going "What can we do to make a shit ton of money in China...?" without trying to put any effort into it.

Hey. Hey.
I heard rumors there was going to be an Avengers 4 trailer released on Wednesday, and now Wednesday is almost over (EST) and there's no trailer.

Where's my Avengers 4 trailer, Marvel?!

Hey. Hey.
I heard rumors there was going to be an Avengers 4 trailer released on Wednesday, and now Wednesday is almost over (EST) and there's no trailer.

Where's my Avengers 4 trailer, Marvel?!
It got rescheduled because of the Day of Remembrance for Bush.

Rumor has it, Friday is the new day.

I read an article that made an excellent point: they shouldn’t release a trailer. At all. Everyone is going to go see Avengers 4, except for the people who won’t no matter how good the trailer is. People are already at a fever pitch for excitement. They have nothing to gain by releasing a trailer, and the only thing it can do is disappoint fanboys who rage that it doesn’t match their exact predictions or desires from their imaginations.

So I say don’t release it at all. Just show the title card with the name and be done.

Last edited:
I read an article that made an excellent point: they shouldn’t release a trailer. At all. Everyone is going to go see Avengers 4, except for the people who won’t no matter how good the trailer is. People are already at a fever pitch for excitement. They have nothing to gain by releasing a trailer, and the only thing it can do is disappoint at fanboys rage that it doesn’t match their exact predictions or desires from their imaginations.

So I say don’t release it at all. Just show the title card with the name and be done.
That would be the best. Or just run a bunch of clips from the other movies of people who died in the snap, and then tag it "You know you want to know how we're bringing them back."

As is my usual policy, I'm not going to watch the trailer :p
I keep thinking this is a good idea, but then they're like "New Captain Marvel trailer" and I'm like "Let's drop everything, watch it twice, and then run home and make my kids watch it too". So weak.

Also: I hope it makes a billion dollars and sells a ton of toys and every douche who ever said that female superheroes won't make money gets shitcanned. It won't happen (at least the last part), but a man can dream.

I have already heard a lot of the douches are out there trashing it already. It's amazing to me how misogynistic this world is sometimes.

I'd love if there were no trailer. More surprises that way. Even though I can never help myself and watch every new trailer.

The problem with trying to avoid trailers is they're spoiled by everyone on social media, anyway. Or articles discussing "What Spider-Man's appearance in Civil War trailer means for the MCU."

Dave

Staff member
This is a @GasBandit kind of trailer. Shows nothing, but builds hype for the movie. There's only one reveal and it's not that big of a surprise.

Is it Him?

I kid, my understanding is that these movies are changing enough of the original story so that it actually focuses on Marvel heroes people actually care about, and doesn't end because Thanos is a tool.

... and the first mention of the trailer in my news feed is someone complaining that this trailer is disappointing. Like I said, the hype and anticipation got so high that Marvel couldn’t win. They should have just not released a thing.

I'm kind of surprised by the lack of action and special effects. But at this point, I think they're still working on the CGI. Early or first trailers like this in the past didn't show a lot of the post-production work, either, because it was unfinished.

That was the title I thought made most sense when they said it was a line from a previous movie, but discredited because it wasn't a spoiler.

I'll have to watch when I'm not at work. :(

Wait, sorry, my mind needed a minute to process..

HE STILL HAS PEGGY IN THE COMPASS! HE LOOKED AT HER! OF ALL THE THINGS THEY COULD HAVE SHOWN, PLEASE TELL ME WE'RE GETTING ONE MORE MOMENT! *SQUEEEEEEPLODE*

...whew. Okay, I'm good now.