[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

I honestly feel most of the cast is going to die, but much like the end of Doctor Strange, one of the sole survivors is going to get a hold of the time stone and just reverse everything back to some big moment, to change the tide and bring everyone back to life for the real climax. It allows for some emotional moments without killing off the characters for the future.

Ewww... Twilight.

Disney is apparently very close to closing a $60 billion purchase deal of Twentieth Century Fox. Could be announced within a week.

I kinda can't believe this might be happening. While I'm nervous about the fate of some properties, on the MCU side I'm only excited.

Is Disney just buying Twentieth Century Fox so that the logo can appear on the front end of Star Wars films again?

Is Disney just buying Twentieth Century Fox so that the logo can appear on the front end of Star Wars films again?
I'm curious if they would do that, or if they're too happy with the Cinderella castle intro.

It's up in the air if they'd keep Twentieth Century Fox going for some franchises or if it would all be absorbed by Disney.

Disney proudly presents ... Alien: Legacy.

I'm curious if they would do that, or if they're too happy with the Cinderella castle intro.

It's up in the air if they'd keep Twentieth Century Fox going for some franchises or if it would all be absorbed by Disney.

Disney proudly presents ... Alien: Legacy.
I wouldn't be surprised if all Fox stuff just starts getting published under the Touchstone label, or if FOX becomes their "tv" Touchstone, since ABC has always bristled at that role.

Disney is apparently very close to closing a $60 billion purchase deal of Twentieth Century Fox. Could be announced within a week.

I kinda can't believe this might be happening. While I'm nervous about the fate of some properties, on the MCU side I'm only excited.
Logan never would have happened under the Disney banner. Same with Deadpool.

Imho, Disney controlling everything and becoming more of a monopoly isn't a good thing

Imho, Disney controlling everything and becoming more of a monopoly isn't a good thing
What I'm curious about is if such things would continue to happen now that they've got the ball rolling if this deal goes through.

What I'm curious about is if such things would continue to happen now that they've got the ball rolling if this deal goes through.
" It earned over $783 million against a $58 million budget, broke numerous records, and became the overall highest-grossing R-rated film, the highest grossing X-Men film, and the ninth highest-grossing film of 2016."

They aren't going to kill that cash cow.

They might release it under a different label - maybe they'll keep 20th century for that reason.

But it had a return on investment of well over 10:1, and Disney is first and foremost a profit center.

" It earned over $783 million against a $58 million budget, broke numerous records, and became the overall highest-grossing R-rated film, the highest grossing X-Men film, and the ninth highest-grossing film of 2016."

They aren't going to kill that cash cow.

They might release it under a different label - maybe they'll keep 20th century for that reason.

But it had a return on investment of well over 10:1, and Disney is first and foremost a profit center.
Hopefully, Disney does take the approach of basically using Fox as an outlet for stuff that would not fit the Disney brand, sort of like their Touchstone and Buena Vista divisions.

Also, the other parties interested in buying Fox are Verizon and Comcast. For as scary as it might be, Disney still seems like the best option.

But, that's two semi-decent movies out of how many poor ones? Versus a majority of decent MCU films. I'll give Disney a chance to do the smart business thing. Logan and Deadpool were quite popular. They see $$ for those franchises I'm sure.

I am excited for a MCU X-men/X-factor - so much potential, but how far away would we be from those coming to a theater? 5-7 years? I suppose this current MCU lineup can make way for the next set of heroes.

Also, the other parties interested in buying Fox are Verizon and Comcast. For as scary as it might be, Disney still seems like the best option.
Interesting. I was in the middle of making a completely different post in response, but looked up the revenue of each company in billions of US dollars per year:

Fox 32
Disney 55
Verizon 126
Comcast 80

Disney would only buy the entertainment portion, leaving news and sports fox alone.

That said, of the three companies, Disney would put the most on the line. But of the three Verizon is the only one without an established, successful media brand. Comcast has all the NBC properties, telemundo, universal pictures and all the universal parks, USA network, and several other media brands.

Disney and Comcast operate fundamentally differently, though. Disney folds IP into its system, over time eliminating the overhead of multiple teams and having essentially one utterly huge machine producing all these different IPs. Comcast appears to leave all their IP operations separate and operates them largely as subsidiaries.

As such I don't think that the Fox IP would be worse under comcast, but it also wouldn't be much better. Perhaps they'd have more resources to develop IP Fox has rights to but can't due to funding issues. They'd certainly have more funding than Disney - but conversely they might not want to put any of that on the line anyway.

Disney would be much more efficient at producing extra Fox IP. You'd see more of it across its properties - disney channel, movies, toys, video games, etc, so more IP might get greenlit under Disney, even though it's a smaller total organization. It probably wouldn't enable more movies per year than we get now, but the fox movies would become Disney movies and we'd see more character crossover in properties where it makes sense.

Verizon would probably just let Fox be Fox, and if they exert any significant control they'd use it to become their media platform going forward, rebrand everything Verizon, and most changes would take years to complete before it really felt like a verizon property. But they have the financial muscle to force Fox into a position where, under the right guidance, it could take on and overshadow the entertainment industry if they chose to flex it.

Certainly is an interesting proposition in any case.

I wonder if Disney intends to focus their MCU movies on the Fantastic Four and X-Men, after the primary Avengers retire and/or are killed off. They could easily form the basis of Phase 4, 5, 6, or beyond.

I wonder if Disney intends to focus their MCU movies on the Fantastic Four and X-Men, after the primary Avengers retire and/or are killed off. They could easily form the basis of Phase 4, 5, 6, or beyond.
I think they already have plans set for phase 4, but that was the case for phase 3 until Spider-man was on the table. It would be a matter of whether Fantastic Four or X-Men are worth sidetracking or spreading out other characters, and what works in the overarching narrative.

But we could get Annihilation.

As for Deadpool--Netflix show. Opening scene, he'll pop into Hell's Kitchen in a safari hat going "What is this strange new universe?" Cut to opening credits, which is the Daredevil opening except the figure being formed is now Deadpool sitting on a toilet while browsing the internet on his phone. Break the fourth wall a bunch, cameos, focus a season on getting to know his daughter. Don't make Scott Buick the showrunner.

Disney, I'll accept payment in the form of a check, or two lifetime passes to Disneyworld.

I never understood why people demanded Deadpool be rated R in the first place. The comic isn't. And honestly, the excessive gore and especially excessive swearing pulled the movie down for me. For so much clever writing (and there WAS a lot of clever writing), it relied way too much on the "fuck crutch."

Logan, on the other hand, totally earned the R rating.

I never understood why people demanded Deadpool be rated R in the first place. The comic isn't. And honestly, the excessive gore and especially excessive swearing pulled the movie down for me. For so much clever writing (and there WAS a lot of clever writing), it relied way too much on the "fuck crutch."

Logan, on the other hand, totally earned the R rating.
Logan had a lot of fucks too.

I tried to compare, but apparently you need 150 fucks, which neither film had, to make the list:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_that_most_frequently_use_the_word_"fuck"
It wasn't just "fucks." The "fuck crutch" is a term a writing teacher I had once described for overly excessive swearing.

For example, I can't remember the exact scene, but Wade freaked out over something and it was a string of string of fucks and shits and the sort for at least 2 minutes. And I sat there thinking, "You're wasting valuable screen time on this when you could have a whole MONOLOGUE of clever lines."

It wasn't just "fucks." The "fuck crutch" is a term a writing teacher I had once described for overly excessive swearing.

For example, I can't remember the exact scene, but Wade freaked out over something and it was a string of string of fucks and shits and the sort for at least 2 minutes. And I sat there thinking, "You're wasting valuable screen time on this when you could have a whole MONOLOGUE of clever lines."
I haven't seen Deadpool since opening weekend and so don't remember that, so I may or may not agree, but I will say by that you could probably write either movie to have zero fucks.

I think that was when he was back in Blind Al's apartment after unsuccessfully trying to find Vanessa, when he just kept stomping on stuff and screaming FUCK FUCK FUCK. And then that led to the rather humorous sequence of him gearing up and loading up all the guns in the apartment. And that, in turn, led to the classic "forgot the gun bag" gag.

I think that was when he was back in Blind Al's apartment after unsuccessfully trying to find Vanessa, when he just kept stomping on stuff and screaming FUCK FUCK FUCK. And then that led to the rather humorous sequence of him gearing up and loading up all the guns in the apartment. And that, in turn, led to the classic "forgot the gun bag" gag.
Which only existed because they didn't have the budget for doing the gun stuff, so they cleverly wrote around it.

That's my real concern for Deadpool 2--Fox had zero faith in the first movie, forcing them to be clever. I'm curious how things will go now that they have a bigger budget and less studio friction.

An example of good overuse: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.
An example of bad overuse: The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (I assume. I haven't seen it)

--Patrick