[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

It's pretty crazy that we don't know the title for Avengers 4 even though it's coming just a year later because Marvel feels the title alone will be a spoiler for Infinity War.

I'd love to be able to just watch the first trailer and nothing else. I may try Gas's trick when the second trailer drops in front of Black Panther. Or just leave and come back. I could honestly opt out of seeing any MCU trailers at this point. Unless the movies start getting really bad, I already know I'm seeing them all.

As for who may or may not die, I know one founding Avenger who is definitely not dying in Infinity War.

Cap. Only because Chris Evans' contract ended with Infinity War and they had to extend it by one movie.

Kevin Feige said the MCU intends to give superhero movies something they rarely get: a finale. He said there's everything up to Avengers 4 and everything after, end of an era, etc. Factor in that the Russo brothers were feeling bummed during filming ... yeah, they're bringing the pain.

While I do agree that people are probably going to die in Infinity War, I'd just like to point out that a lot of pre-release marketing for Civil War also implied that people were going to die. So I honestly wouldn't be surprised if everyone makes it through Infinity War too.

fade

Staff member
I loved the trailer, personally. Just seeing all those guys together was "the big moment" for me, especially the stinger. We all know who they are now, I feel like it didn't need more. And yes, I like surprises. I still cover my ears and close my eyes for every trailer/commercial and skip every article/discussion for The Last Jedi because I've tired of being spoiled. I want to go in knowing as little as possible and be wowed.
I feel like between all the trailers, I could just about piece together the entire Last Jedi movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1511973372,1511973162][/DOUBLEPOST]
Infinity War Trailer
Lord of the Gauntlets[DOUBLEPOST=1511973549][/DOUBLEPOST]Thanos is hard, because he's kind of ... I don't know happy-go-lucky for a bad guy. And they nailed it. Again.

I guess I also think of the Infinity movies as one film, two parts, so most of my speculation is from that point of view. That being said, I'm going to have to put Iron Man on my Least Likely to be Killed list. Robert Downey Jr. has already renegotiated his contract once to keep making appearances as Iron Man, even though he doesn't have to commit to headlining a film. And since most of his stunt work is mo-cap, he doesn't need to be in the peak physical condition that Chris Evans or Chris Hemsworth needs to be. He could keep making mentor cameos like he did in Homecoming for as long as he's interested (i.e. Disney offers the $$$). They might kill him, but the odds are in his favor.

But on my Most Likely to Not Survive the War list:

Cap- This is the one I can't deal with. Chris Evans has won me over on and off screen (don't you touch him, 2017!). He made me care about Cap in a way I never did reading the comics. But mostly because Li'l Z LOVES Captain America. I see him get excited about Cap the same way I did about Spider-Man and Wonder Woman at his age. Now, granted, the only live action film we've let him watch so far is Homecoming, but he loves the Avengers and he's getting to that age where we can let him watch the movies. Evan's Cap is the type of guy that would keep fighting to his last breath, so retirement is out of the question. If this happens, I will be a big, sobbing puddle on the floor that needs to be carried out of the theater.

Hawkeye - He's not getting is own movie. I read the Vanity Fair article on the upcoming MCU 10th anniversary and Infinity (and if you haven't yet, I recommend it.) They are very tight-lipped about upcoming plot, but I noticed Linda Cardellini was part of the cast photographed. If Laura Barton is back, you know something's happening to Hawkeye. (I mean, Pepper was there, too, but I'm still going with my Iron Man theory.)

Hulk - Ragnarok already showed Banner has even less control over Hulk than he used to. Ruffalo is no spring chicken, but like Downey, a lot of his stunt work is mo-cap, so less physical strain. I could see this as a chance to him to go out in a blaze of glory.

Black Widow - I don't want to see her go, either, but ScarJo couldn't be bothered to dye her hair, so that's not a good sign.

Nick Fury - Jackson only has to make cameos, but he is also 70, iirc? SHIELD is also a mess right now, so I could see it. This could be his Coulson moment.

Thor- I'm on the fence about this one. On one hand, he's almost 40, the role is very physically demanding and Asgard,
like Odin, is a smoldering hole
. But Ragnarok was extremely successful, and he doesn't seem to be over the character (Same for Tom Hiddleston). I could see him pulling a Hugh Jackman, but the events of Ragnarok could mean bad things for the Odinson family.

Coulson - STOP KILLING COULSON! :D

Cap- This is the one I can't deal with. Chris Evans has won me over on and off screen (don't you touch him, 2017!). He made me care about Cap in a way I never did reading the comics. But mostly because Li'l Z LOVES Captain America. I see him get excited about Cap the same way I did about Spider-Man and Wonder Woman at his age. Now, granted, the only live action film we've let him watch so far is Homecoming, but he loves the Avengers and he's getting to that age where we can let him watch the movies. Evan's Cap is the type of guy that would keep fighting to his last breath, so retirement is out of the question. If this happens, I will be a big, sobbing puddle on the floor that needs to be carried out of the theater.
I think for movie 4, yeah. Russo brothers did Winter Soldier and Civil War, now Avengers 3 and 4. I could see a heroic death being their final interaction with Cap.

I will be the same as you though. Evans has made me care about Cap, the Cap trilogy are three of my top five MCU movies, and ... yeah, I would also be a mess. But I thought he might die in Civil War because Crossbones was in it, but they tricked us.

I feel like between all the trailers, I could just about piece together the entire Last Jedi movie.
This. Entirely fucking this.

I feel like trailers didn't use to be this ready to bare it all.

You forgot Vision. There's a 0% chance the guy brought to life by an Infinity gem in his forehead is going to make it to the end credits of part one.

You forgot Vision. There's a 0% chance the guy brought to life by an Infinity gem in his forehead is going to make it to the end credits of part one.
My money is on him having the gem ripped out, appearing to be dead for a long stretch, then coming back. It makes for good misdirection.

While other characters die for real, of course.

I will be the same as you though. Evans has made me care about Cap, the Cap trilogy are three of my top five MCU movies, and ... yeah, I would also be a mess.
If they say something about him being with Peggy, I will be "Jurassic Bark"/Pixar/"WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?!?" levels of ugly cry.

My money is on him having the gem ripped out, appearing to be dead for a long stretch, then coming back. It makes for good misdirection.
Yeah, Vision's on my Least Likely to Die (permanently) list.[DOUBLEPOST=1511979089,1511978530][/DOUBLEPOST]You know what I'd like to get out of Infinity War that I know will never, ever happen? I'm assuming the second film is mostly in space, so let's assume whoever is alive is bringing the fight to Thanos. Maybe a few heroes get left on Earth (probably Spider-Man, for example). Thanos pulls a "oh, while you're here bothering me, I'm sending some of my army to destroy your planet like last time" and the space team is like, "well shit, who's protecting Earth?". And we're back at Earth and the odds don't look good, and the cavalry arrives: Agents of SHIELD, the Defenders, etc. You don't even have to show the fight, just a quick, 5 second nod that this is the Marvel UNIVERSE, and I will lose my mind. And I know they are very, very adamant that the TV universe and the cinema universe are separate, but you are never going to get another chance like this.

There are so many superheroes defending *just* parts of NYC, that I feel a quick movie cameo of them together somehow would be appropriate.

At least one infinity stone is in NY, so it makes sense that Thanos would go there. And another spends time around Dr. Strange’s neck, and he’s often in NY, so now you have two.

GasBandit

Staff member
Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, and Chris Pratt all on the same screen.

Trying to find a seat at this movie's gonna be like

wetseats.png

At least one infinity stone is in NY, so it makes sense that Thanos would go there. And another spends time around Dr. Strange’s neck, and he’s often in NY, so now you have two.
OK I agree with the Dr. Strange one, what other one do you mean? The Vision doesn't live there, he's wherever the main Avengers compound is I thought?

A full listing may be valuable here. Spoilers for the new Thor movie below, as well as a couple others.
Tesseract/blue - Loki has it, picked it up near the end of Thor: Ragnarok
Ether (From Thor the Dark World) - The Collector has it
Purple (Guardians 1) - Last we heard, the "good" government from that movie has it... I think.
Yellow (mind stone) - In The Vision's head
Green (time) - Around Dr. Strange's neck.
What others? I'm amazed I remembered as much as I did already.

It just occurred to me that another Coulson situation might occur again, ie a member of the Avengers' support personnel is going to die to inspire them, or to emphasize the scale of the threat, or simply to tug at heartstrings.

Maria Hill's probably going to bite it.

I dig the Skrull story, but with Captain Marvel coming out wouldn't it be a bit predictable (at least for the real fans). I don't really want any of the characters to die, but surely one of the non-supers will go. I think the biggest shock would be if they kill Stark or Cap'n. I might shed a real tear if Cap'n dies. Like Wraith of Kahn tears.

I honestly feel most of the cast is going to die, but much like the end of Doctor Strange, one of the sole survivors is going to get a hold of the time stone and just reverse everything back to some big moment, to change the tide and bring everyone back to life for the real climax. It allows for some emotional moments without killing off the characters for the future.

I think only the Super Skrull is.
Pretty sure Fox would argue if they have Super Skrull they pretty much get the Skrull race.

It's like how Marvel can't use the word "Mutants", even if they didn't use the X-Men, the word is tied to heavily to a certain group that using it would be seen as infringement on the contract. Super Skrull, for the most part, is probably the only well known Skrull.

Edit: Ah well, cool they are officially coming into the MCU, nice to see.

GasBandit

Staff member
OK I agree with the Dr. Strange one, what other one do you mean? The Vision doesn't live there, he's wherever the main Avengers compound is I thought?

A full listing may be valuable here. Spoilers for the new Thor movie below, as well as a couple others.
Tesseract/blue - Loki has it, picked it up near the end of Thor: Ragnarok
Ether (From Thor the Dark World) - The Collector has it
Purple (Guardians 1) - Last we heard, the "good" government from that movie has it... I think.
Yellow (mind stone) - In The Vision's head
Green (time) - Around Dr. Strange's neck.
What others? I'm amazed I remembered as much as I did already.
You got most of it right, just missing some proper names.
(Blue) Tesseract/Space Stone - Loki
(Purple) Orb/Power Stone - The Novans
(Red) Aether/Reality Stone - The Collector
(Yellow) Mind Stone - The Vision
(Green) Eye of Agamotto/Time Stone - Dr Strange
(Orange*) Soul Stone - Unaccounted for

*implied from GOTG

I honestly feel most of the cast is going to die, but much like the end of Doctor Strange, one of the sole survivors is going to get a hold of the time stone and just reverse everything back to some big moment, to change the tide and bring everyone back to life for the real climax. It allows for some emotional moments without killing off the characters for the future.
I suspect that by now Dr. Strange has learned just how harmful that action is, and that he will be unable or unwilling to do so again. At least on possibility is rewinding too far - in his movie he only rewound stuff on the order of minutes, maybe as much as an hour. With thanos I could see him rewinding a few small bits and pieces here and there, or large areas for small pieces of time, but entire battles lasting long periods of time or ranging over large areas are probably unwise to "fix" using that artifact.

Plus Thanos will have it for at least a portion of the whole event.

As others have suggested,

Chances are good they'll have little to no warning, and Thanos will attack them piecemeal to gain several of the stones before they finally get their act together. I supect the movie will end with him getting the final stone, or perhaps the penultimate stone and facing off against the last opponent (fade to black) while everyone else is still struggling to understand the enormity of the situation and who's involved and how to organize a reasonable defense. It's by this point I expect at least a few main character's lives to be in question, if not outright definitely dead.

The second movie will then be the underdogs preventing the seizure of the final stone, or facing off against a fully powered thanos. He will have to get the last stone before they finally beat him, but they'll have to work together, some will have to make significant sacrifices, and all will be changed in some fundamental or at least significant way.

It's basic movie plot stuff, so I doubt I'm guessing anything surprising.

But I'm sure going to enjoy it when it hits the theaters.

*implied from GOTG
Are there only 6, or is there a 7th as-yet-unknown? I mean, that's 6 out of the 7 rainbow colors...

Warning some spoilerish talk in here regarding Thor: Ragnarok.
There was a lot of talk that the Soul Stone was going to be in Thor: Ragnarok, and though it ended up not being shown, it's still theorized the Soul Stone was what was powering the Eternal Flame, and thus is floating in what remains of Asgard. Though that would contradict the comments back at the end of Thor 2, when they talk about how dangerous it would be to have two Infinity Stones on Asgard (Space and Reality), though it could be argued they just never knew about it.

Based on the trailer, we know Thanos has gotten two of the stones, Power and Space. It seems pretty obvious to me after Thor 3 that Thanos is going to attack the lifeboat ship, and we are going to find out either Loki betrayed Thor and sold them all out for Thanos, or Loki is going to bargain a trade with Thanos for the safety of the Asgardians, depending on if they are going to keep his recent face turn. They show Thanos putting that stone into the Guantlet, which already has the Power Stone socketed, so it's likely he made a pit stop at Xandar before running into the Asgardians. This would explain why the GOTG was so close to Thor, since they would be investigating what ravaged Xandar and are in search of the Power Stone.

I hope, HOPE, they don't just blow up all the Asgardians at that point, making everything in Ragnarok moot, but it does not look promising since the leaked ComicCon trailer showed Thor spiraling out in space all battered when he runs into the GOTG ship, I hope that is just him being lost helping them fully escape (though all the Asgardian corpses in the new trailer are not raising my confidence on that).

Now my best guess is he sends his lackies to Earth to collect the Mind and Time Stones, while he goes to collect the Reality Stone from the Collector, before showing up back on Earth for the climax events. What makes me unsure on this though is that there seems to be some shots of, at least appears to be, the climax, but Thanos still only has the Power and Space Stones. However, that is likely them faking us out similar to what they did with Thor's missing eye, in which they took scenes where his eye was missing and just kept him with both for the trailers, so as to not spoil the surprise of that moment. Even the CC leaked IW trailer showed Thor with both eyes, so they will go out of their way if needed to fake out us nerds. They don't want us to already see him with nearly all the stones.
[DOUBLEPOST=1512063704,1512063566][/DOUBLEPOST]
In the comics, there are only 6. I mean, the movie could add a 7th, who knows...
There are 6. You can see on the Gauntlet he has a socket for each finger, including thumb, and one larger stone that goes on the back of the hand, which will likely be where the Soul Stone goes in the end.

Last edited:

*implied from GOTG
I know the whole thing NEEDS to be about Earth, but if the last one is on Earth as well, that would mean that 3/6 were on Earth before the 20th century started, at a minimum. 1, OK, something has to be here. 2, stretching, but possible via those crazy mystics (Dr. Strange movie). 3? C'mon! That's just nuts. I'm more hoping it has to do with the ending of GotG2, and that "gold-skinned" Civilization has the 6th, but like other speculation, I'm still betting on Wakanda, which is still 3/6, which is nuts.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know the whole thing NEEDS to be about Earth, but if the last one is on Earth as well, that would mean that 3/6 were on Earth before the 20th century started, at a minimum. 1, OK, something has to be here. 2, stretching, but possible via those crazy mystics (Dr. Strange movie). 3? C'mon! That's just nuts. I'm more hoping it has to do with the ending of GotG2, and that "gold-skinned" Civilization has the 6th, but like other speculation, I'm still betting on Wakanda, which is still 3/6, which is nuts.
The gold skinned civilization is
going to be Adam Warlock's origin story, though in what movie I don't know. It was teased in the after credits of GOTG2.[/quote]