[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

Im not sure what aggrod means. I'm fairly certain you're heaping a great deal of emotion on a statement of "blech". I'm also fairly certain this is maybe the second time I've said something about squirrel girl, and neither time were what I would describe as hitting a nerve. It's more on the level of "not what I would've gone with". Not sure where the other is coming from.[DOUBLEPOST=1501343193,1501343000][/DOUBLEPOST]I just searched the forum for squirrel girl, and I mention I don't like it twice. Both recently. Here and in the streaming thread. Are you mixing me up with someone else?
I think he's projecting his own feelings about Marvel onto us. The slightest comment, and he has to jump to a rabid defense. I make two posts about Hydra Cap and Hydra Magneto in six months, and suddenly I'm "obsessed." It's not us, it's Zero.

Im not sure what aggrod means. I'm fairly certain you're heaping a great deal of emotion on a statement of "blech". I'm also fairly certain this is maybe the second time I've said something about squirrel girl, and neither time were what I would describe as hitting a nerve. It's more on the level of "not what I would've gone with". Not sure where the other is coming from.[DOUBLEPOST=1501343193,1501343000][/DOUBLEPOST]I just searched the forum for squirrel girl, and I mention I don't like it twice. Both recently. Here and in the streaming thread. Are you mixing me up with someone else?
Maybe? I really thought it was you a bit back, but maybe im associating past disliking of things as being all yours. If so, I'm sorry. For some reason it feels like people are being repetitive around here, but I could be rereading posts and thinking they're new.[DOUBLEPOST=1501345708][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, it's not that she doesn't look like supermodel, it's that it looks like it took 15 seconds and 5 lines to draw her, and 10 seconds with a photoshop paintbucket tool to ink her.

Maybe I'm just spoiled because I'm used to shading and stuff.

I mean, the comics I've been reading most recently were the Darth Vader comics, where every panel looks like this.

Comparing that, even Galactus up there looks paltry with his entire two shades of purple with no gradients.
The weird thing is, the artist initially wanted something more usual and Ryan North insisted on this style. But I know the bombshell model wasn't people here; there was a Reddit thread. Don't remember how long ago.[DOUBLEPOST=1501345766][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think he's projecting his own feelings about Marvel onto us. The slightest comment, and he has to jump to a rabid defense. I make two posts about Hydra Cap and Hydra Magneto in six months, and suddenly I'm "obsessed." It's not us, it's Zero.
I'm not getting into it with you because you might threaten to leave again over nothing, but I will say both Covar and Yoshi have seen me bitch plenty about Marvel in past few months.

Maybe? I really thought it was you a bit back, but maybe im associating past disliking of things as being all yours. If so, I'm sorry. For some reason it feels like people are being repetitive around here, but I could be rereading posts and thinking they're new.[DOUBLEPOST=1501345708][/DOUBLEPOST]

The weird thing is, the artist initially wanted something more usual and Ryan North insisted on this style. But I know the bombshell model wasn't people here; there was a Reddit thread. Don't remember how long ago.[DOUBLEPOST=1501345766][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'm not getting into it with you because you might threaten to leave again over nothing, but I will say both Covar and Yoshi have seen me bitch plenty about Marvel in past few months.
See, your first mistake was Reddit. Any large subreddit is going to become just the worst possible people.

That said, I've put up with mediocre art for good story before. And that squirrel girl art probably isn't even that noticable once you get used to it, but the overly simplistic style is going to stand out to new eyes. But criticism of the art isn't criticism of the whole.

The Dark Knight Returns was one of my favorite comics as a kid, despite hating the art and thinking it looked like shit. Now, as I've grown older, I've started to realize all of it might be shit, but that is a different conversation entirely.

The Dark Knight Returns was one of my favorite comics as a kid, despite hating the art and thinking it looked like shit. Now, as I've grown older, I've started to realize all of it might be shit, but that is a different conversation entirely.
I was in HS when it first came out. IIRC there were delays on top of delays as the series progressed. I wound up giving up before the last couple of issues finally arrived in stores.

I was just shocked to see the standard Tumblr Marvel "fan"* defense. "I think the art in that middle panel looks bad." "Sorry you can't jack off to squirrel girl you sexist cis-shit-lord!"

Regarding that art I don't recall exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was from when Erica Henderson was also doing Jughead or the Squirrel girl beats the Marvel universe graphic novel at the same time as the monthly. Woman has some crazy fast output, but it does hit the quality a bit sometimes.

*does not actually purchase comics

I was just shocked to see the standard Tumblr Marvel "fan"* defense. "I think the art in that middle panel looks bad." "Sorry you can't jack off to squirrel girl you sexist cis-shit-lord!"

Regarding that art I don't recall exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was from when Erica Henderson was also doing Jughead or the Squirrel girl beats the Marvel universe graphic novel at the same time as the monthly. Woman has some crazy fast output, but it does hit the quality a bit sometimes.

*does not actually purchase comics
Weird, I thought you did buy comics. But I guess I wouldn't either if I worked in a place that sold them.

Anyhow, I was being tongue in cheek at my first response, but then Fade made a completely rational response that I interpreted as denial, so I went off, which then may or may not have even been based on his behavior at all, I'm not digging through the forum's guts so I'll take his word for it, and I apologized.

So to set the record straight: I do not genuinely think that if someone dislikes a comic's art, it's because they want a more masurbation-worthy example of the character, otherwise I'd be getting questions about that I think Todd McFarlane's art in The Incredible Hulk run looks shitty.

In the 90's, I was certain the Kuberts only got their jobs because of their dad. They've improved, but it was, like, Rob Liefeld levels of awful back then.

I don't mind Henderson's over-all style, but I feel like faces are her weak point. It's almost like she draws out everything else in the panel, saves the faces for last, and when she finally has to deal with it, she does a quick scribble and calls it a day. Not every face she draws is like that, but it happens so often, it seems like facial structure for her is like feet for Liefeld.

Weird, I thought you did buy comics. But I guess I wouldn't either if I worked in a place that sold them.

Anyhow, I was being tongue in cheek at my first response, but then Fade made a completely rational response that I interpreted as denial, so I went off, which then may or may not have even been based on his behavior at all, I'm not digging through the forum's guts so I'll take his word for it, and I apologized.

So to set the record straight: I do not genuinely think that if someone dislikes a comic's art, it's because they want a more masurbation-worthy example of the character, otherwise I'd be getting questions about that I think Todd McFarlane's art in The Incredible Hulk run looks shitty.
I was making a crack about how all the twitter and Tumblr praise doesn't translate into sales, and it's not just direct market either. Digital is only around 10% of the direct market volume and the top charts don't differ enough from the two to be significant. It does better in the book market, but that's relative to the sales band.

My pull list definitely got smaller when we opened the store. I think I only have 3 monthly titles on. Supersons, Invincible, & Usagi Yojimbo. I still read stuff, just a lot of older trades and single issues here and there. I wish I had more Rebirth titles from the start, but they were selling so well I wanted the shop to get some more money and customers from them.

Anyway that's not what this thread that has really gone of the rails is about. Let's all agree that things got weird and move on.

fade

Staff member
To flesh out what I meant, I don't like her face art in particular in the second panel. Even cartoon art has to "work" so to speak, and the upper and lower buck teeth break that rule to me. I don't get the purpose of the peak in her lip. But I can let all that slide if it weren't for the weird facial features floating in a sea of face thing combined with an expression that seems to say she doesn't even know where she is kind of dumb. It really is the whole thing together that just doesn't work for me. But even so, jeez I just meant that as a passing remark. I had, like, zero emotional investment in that statement, which is why I was kind of shocked at the reaction.

fade

Staff member
Do you think hulk's dong size changes with his incarnations? They're based on his personalities. The green hulk is supposed to be a big invulnerable 3 year old, so he should have a tiny 3 year old thingy. Joe Fixit on the other hand is all the darker thoughts and he always has women. So maybe he's got like a 3rd leg.

GasBandit

Staff member
Do you think hulk's dong size changes with his incarnations? They're based on his personalities. The green hulk is supposed to be a big invulnerable 3 year old, so he should have a tiny 3 year old thingy.
I've seen stuff on imgur that says otherwise.

I gotta say, I actually rather enjoyed the art, what little I've seen of it. The looseness, for lack of a better term, is what I find appealing about it. It's not a master work of anatomy, and that's okay.

I never knew watching pixel-graphics Wanda Maximov spin pixel-graphics Natasha Romanov in the air again and again could be so hypnotically fascinating.