[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

It bugged me, too, when I was trying to find that gif, but I guess that's what happens when you have to animate talking animals that don't have lips. (For the "ooo" sound, at least.)

This isn't technically MCU, but because it has bearing on it, this is the best place to mention this.

Sony previously stated that their Venom movie starring Tom Hardy would be part of its own Spider-man-less Spidey universe.

Well, now they're saying pretty much the opposite. Venom will be taking place in the same universe as Spider-man: Homecoming, as will any other Sony Spidey projects, and Tom Hollond will play Spider-man in them just like in the MCU. It would essentially be like the Marvel TV shows now, where the TV references the movies, but the movies don't reference the TV shows--in this case, Spider-man would do as MCU dictates while Sony fleshes out his world in Manhattan.

My initial reaction was the same as Kevin Feige's face during this announcement: :Leyla: But I'm now seeing the potential here. Doesn't mean the potential will be realized, but looking at it optimistically, MCU doesn't seem to have plans on making Spider-man solo ventures too often. He'll be in Homecoming in a couple weeks, and both upcoming Avengers movies, and probably won't have another solo film until 2020. Unless Sony is making the solo films. And by doing this, they can really flesh out the Spider-man world. They don't have to worry about losing the license, so there's no need to rush. They also don't need to establish a world, since the work's already been done for them, so no need to set up a billion things in a movie. They can essentially ride MCU's coattails and just do their best not to fuck up.

Now, that's where the optimism comes in, because Sony is very good at fucking up, some might say they're better at fucking up than they are at making movies. But I'm going to look at this with some hope, because in this way you don't have to tell big world-breaking stories. Really, they could tell any Spider-man stories.

Furthermore, and this is being unrealistically hopeful, it could show co-management of a property in a way that might open doors with Fox--yeah, that's being crazy. They'll never let go of the X-Men, but just maybe we could get the Fantastic Four and all the characters entangled with them. I don't know; there's definitely potential here.

What if Sony's movie(s) and the MCU movies contradict each other? For example (hypothetically speaking) let's say when Thanos attacks Earth in Infinity War, he destroys Manhattan completely. And then in the next Sony movie, you've got Venom or Spider-Man or whoever swinging happily around an undestroyed Manhattan. I mean, Sony could plausibly do everything in their power to maintain continuity with the MCU films, but somehow I doubt they'd try all that hard.

So, basically, will Sony's films become the Legends continuity of Spider-Man movies?

What if Sony's movie(s) and the MCU movies contradict each other? For example (hypothetically speaking) let's say when Thanos attacks Earth in Infinity War, he destroys Manhattan completely. And then in the next Sony movie, you've got Venom or Spider-Man or whoever swinging happily around an undestroyed Manhattan. I mean, Sony could plausibly do everything in their power to maintain continuity with the MCU films, but somehow I doubt they'd try all that hard.

So, basically, will Sony's films become the Legends continuity of Spider-Man movies?
Again, I'd like to believe there would be somewhat tighter collaboration.

But as what I like has zero influence on the situation, I'm just hoping for the best :p.

Marvel Studios have already started tripping over their short continuity so I doubt it will be a big deal.

The review embargo has lifted for Spider-Man: Homecoming and the results are very positive (RT 19+/1- thus far).

Jeremy Jahns can describe this movie in one word:

Does Peter Parker actually have agency in this movie? Or is it like the trailer's indicate where everything he does is because of Tony Stark?

Does Peter Parker actually have agency in this movie? Or is it like the trailer's indicate where everything he does is because of Tony Stark?
The impression I get from the trailer is that the whole story is about him transitioning from a Stark intern/fanboy to an independent hero in his own right.

I wish Marvel hadn't gone so apeshit overboard with the different Spider-man: Homecoming trailers. At this point I feel like I've seen half the fucking movie.

I wish Marvel hadn't gone so apeshit overboard with the different Spider-man: Homecoming trailers. At this point I feel like I've seen half the fucking movie.
This is the reason that when I've decided I want to see a movie I just start not watching commercials or trailers. I stopped watching anything about SMH over a month ago, it's possible I won't watch anything else about Thor Ragnorok until I see it in the theater. Heck, I'll work pretty hard to not see anything else about Last Jedi too. I don't need convincing, what really broke me from watching stuff was Star Wars Phantom Menace.

This is the reason that when I've decided I want to see a movie I just start not watching commercials or trailers. I stopped watching anything about SMH over a month ago, it's possible I won't watch anything else about Thor Ragnorok until I see it in the theater. Heck, I'll work pretty hard to not see anything else about Last Jedi too. I don't need convincing, what really broke me from watching stuff was Star Wars Phantom Menace.
I go to the movies. Unless I wanna be one of the shlubs who comes in after the trailers end and is then shocked when I can't find a seat, I'm kinda trapped. I don't seek this stuff out on YouTube or on the forum; I avoid it and then it's shoved into my face.

I've seen multiple War of the Planet of the Apes trailers in the theater and I don't feel like I have a sense of the shape of the movie, especially since the last one's trailers pulled a fast one. Spider-man, they seem to be scared if they don't show it all, no one will go to the movie of one of the three most popular superheroes in the world, whose bad movies still make big bank.

And hopefully I'm wrong, and it's such a big and wild movie that the trailers really haven't revealed anything. It's just annoying when it feels like they plaster everything in there.

GasBandit

Staff member
I go to the movies. Unless I wanna be one of the shlubs who comes in after the trailers end and is then shocked when I can't find a seat, I'm kinda trapped. I don't seek this stuff out on YouTube or on the forum; I avoid it and then it's shoved into my face.

I've seen multiple War of the Planet of the Apes trailers in the theater and I don't feel like I have a sense of the shape of the movie, especially since the last one's trailers pulled a fast one. Spider-man, they seem to be scared if they don't show it all, no one will go to the movie of one of the three most popular superheroes in the world, whose bad movies still make big bank.

And hopefully I'm wrong, and it's such a big and wild movie that the trailers really haven't revealed anything. It's just annoying when it feels like they plaster everything in there.
At Wonder Woman and Logan, I took to closing my eyes, sticking my fingers in my ear canals, and swirling them, until the previews were over. I've been deliberately avoiding Spider Man previews since the movie was announced. And others.

At Wonder Woman and Logan, I took to closing my eyes, sticking my fingers in my ear canals, and swirling them, until the previews were over. I've been deliberately avoiding Spider Man previews since the movie was announced. And others.
I tried that after you mentioned it before and while I couldn't see, I couldn't block out the AMC sound system. Normally I love that, drowns out the audience, but worked against me here.

It was also too late; by the time Wonder Woman came out, we were a month away. Now we're a week away, I'm seeing Baby Driver in less than four hours, and damn if there won't be a Spidey trailer. I miss the days when the trailers here would suit the movie's presumed audience, i.e. before a horror movie, you'd get horror trailers that likely wouldn't pop up before anything else. I know other places still do it that way because that's how it works for Cinema Snob's Midnight Screenings town, but here they kinda gave up on that and just throw in whatever it takes to make the trailers add up to about 20 minutes.

And now I'm just ranting.

And now I'm just ranting.
That's perfectly fine, this is a rantable thing. I don't see many movies in theaters, this year may be one of my heaviest in years, 4. I saw GOTG2, will probably see SMH, will see Thor, and will see Last Jedi. I usually go see the Pixar offering as one of a couple of movies, but I'll just wait for the bluray for Cars 3. I just can't justify spending more on a trip to the theater than I would spend on the disc itself.