[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

The Spider-man Homecoming poster also looks like shit.

I'm sure both movies will be fine. I'm actually a little more interested in Blavk Panther, both from his character arc in Civil War and because it'll be Marvel taking a risk like with the first Guardians.

On my phone it didn't look bad. But I think a big part of the problem is that his face it lit on both sides, when the rest of the photo is shown having a strong light source from the upper left (our right). It makes his head look like it's not part of the rest of the picture. I think they're trying to show Chadwick Boseman's (albeit handsome) whole face, and the shadows would be much stronger on his right side.

I like the idea, and I think he looks regal, but a sloppy mistake like that ruins the over-all effect.

I gotta say that I wasn't impressed by that trailer. "El Dorado was in Africa the whole time" is just too hard of a sell. The king of Wakanda died in the last Captain America film, to international news. Why does he have to explain what Wakanda is, even?

I gotta say that I wasn't impressed by that trailer. "El Dorado was in Africa the whole time" is just too hard of a sell. The king of Wakanda died in the last Captain America film, to international news. Why does he have to explain what Wakanda is, even?
Going to spoil this for people who might be unfamiliar with Black Panther stuff and might feel this is a spoiler (though it really isn't, it's the most basic premise of the franchise).

Because the rest of the world believes that Wakanda is a backwards, if peaceful, African country in the vein of white societal expectations... basically, that it's rundown country with a few big cities and everything else is dirt villages straight out National Geographic. People believe this because the government of Wakanda goes to ridiculous extremes to project this image, but the reality is that Wakanda is the single most advanced society (both culturally and technologically) on Earth and the Wakandan's have spent centuries keeping it's bounty out of the hands of tyrants looking to control the world. There is no hunger in Wakanda. There is no sickness in Wakanda. There is no war in Wakanda except that which outsiders bring. And they keep ALL of this away from the rest of the world because ALL of it would be misused, even stuff like the cure for cancer!

Even the guys who know what Vibranium is and that it only comes from Wakanda don't know this; they think the Royal Family mines it like blood diamonds for ceremonial use or something. What Vibranium sneaks out of the country is essentially stolen under the noses of the Wakandans at great expense; Howard Stark sent a team into Wakanda and they only came out with enough Vibranium for Cap's original shield... and the mercenaries (lead by Ulysses Klaue, the guy in the chair in the trailer) only managed to escape with a few pounds of the stuff (worth billions of dollars) before the Wakandans gave them the boot, all of which went into Ultron's body.

Going to spoil this for people who might be unfamiliar with Black Panther stuff and might feel this is a spoiler (though it really isn't, it's the most basic premise of the franchise).

Because the rest of the world believes that Wakanda is a backwards, if peaceful, African country in the vein of white societal expectations... basically, that it's rundown country with a few big cities and everything else is dirt villages straight out National Geographic. People believe this because the government of Wakanda goes to ridiculous extremes to project this image, but the reality is that Wakanda is the single most advanced society (both culturally and technologically) on Earth and the Wakandan's have spent centuries keeping it's bounty out of the hands of tyrants looking to control the world. There is no hunger in Wakanda. There is no sickness in Wakanda. There is no war in Wakanda except that which outsiders bring. And they keep ALL of this away from the rest of the world because ALL of it would be misused, even stuff like the cure for cancer!

Even the guys who know what Vibranium is and that it only comes from Wakanda don't know this; they think the Royal Family mines it like blood diamonds for ceremonial use or something. What Vibranium sneaks out of the country is essentially stolen under the noses of the Wakandans at great expense; Howard Stark sent a team into Wakanda and they only came out with enough Vibranium for Cap's original shield... and the mercenaries (lead by Ulysses Klaue, the guy in the chair in the trailer) only managed to escape with a few pounds of the stuff (worth billions of dollars) before the Wakandans gave them the boot, all of which went into Ultron's body.
It just dawned on me, Wakanda is the Paradise Island of the Marvel Universe...

A thought just occurred to me.

For a trailer for a film with such a strong cast of black actors, it's interesting that it opened with...two white guys.

That's not a complaint. The trailer is amazing. It's just an observation. I'm not sure what to make of it, honestly.

A thought just occurred to me.

For a trailer for a film with such a strong cast of black actors, it's interesting that it opened with...two white guys.

That's not a complaint. The trailer is amazing. It's just an observation. I'm not sure what to make of it, honestly.
I think that's just because those characters are the bridge from age of ultron

I think that's just because those characters are the bridge from age of ultron
That I can totally get. It's also a good introduction to Wakanda as "You really have NO idea what that place is like, do you?" And Klaw is the perfect example of that outsider who's seen shit you'd never believe. I'm super glad he's back for this.

It's just the choice of actors to do said introduction, you know? A film touted as having the largest black cast in a superhero movie and the first trailer opens with...two white guys.

That said, the movie still looks amazing. One person on Twitter said something interesting, too. To paraphrase, they said this film will be a great opportunity to showcase black characters in roles that aren't your usual western stereotypes.

That I can totally get. It's also a good introduction to Wakanda as "You really have NO idea what that place is like, do you?" And Klaw is the perfect example of that outsider who's seen shit you'd never believe. I'm super glad he's back for this.

It's just the choice of actors to do said introduction, you know? A film touted as having the largest black cast in a superhero movie and the first trailer opens with...two white guys.

That said, the movie still looks amazing. One person on Twitter said something interesting, too. To paraphrase, they said this film will be a great opportunity to showcase black characters in roles that aren't your usual western stereotypes.
Marvel is going to put a reasonable amount of white actors in all marketing for this movie so that white people feel comfortable going to see it. I don't think it's something you should get hung up on; they're going to play this in whatever way gets people into the theater. Civil War's trailers acted like the build-up and focal point of the movie was toward the airport scene, but that's really 15 minutes that feels like it's from a different movie. The advertising knew that's what was going to get people into the theater, regardless of the actual film.

The hopeful goal is that Black Panther will be just as successful as the other MCU movies in spite of Hollywood's belief that white people won't see movies starring black people, or that "black people movies" is a genre. It's the same bullshit that was laid on Wonder Woman, that if it was bad or didn't do well, that it would be the death knell of future female superhero/action movies, while male-led movies get to be garbage and continue being made. The same expectation will be placed here, that if Black Panther flops, that's it for black superheroes. Hollywood follows trends, hence the whole desperation for each major producer to have a shared universe. This movie can open doors not just for the actors in the movie, but overall. Marvel has been a game changer with how we view modern action movies, and while people say they play things safe, that can really only be applied to the pleasant tone of the movies. It was a risk to put a bunch of superhero movies out in quick succession, it was a risk to throw them together, it was a risk to make a movie starring a talking raccoon and a sentient tree. It was a risk for WB to make a female superhero movie.

It's not really risking MCU's success to make Black Panther. It's risking losing its potential effect on Hollywood's future and cultural mindset, on a number of people's potential careers. So while just showing the primary cast would be truer to the movie, and if it flopped we could say, "Hey, look, America really is racist, what a surprise," it's more important to convince the people who probably aren't aware of their own racism that this is a movie they'll want to see, so that it can make big bucks like the other MCU movies, so that things in Hollywood can actually change in the future for the better.

why did the magnet handcuff never pull towards anything else? we see it fly across the elevator to stick to the wall, but the taser batons ignore it, as does the shield.

why did the magnet handcuff never pull towards anything else? we see it fly across the elevator to stick to the wall, but the taser batons ignore it, as does the shield.
Taser batons are likely insulated plastic, and vibranium is sometimes magnetic and sometimes not, depending on which the plot needs it to be

GasBandit

Staff member
The empty one got slapped through the air across the elevator, than stuck to the wall it hit. The one on his wrist he took special pains to keep away from stuff but when it got close to the wall, it snagged.

I've had to wrestle with a magnet like that myself (somehow, the wheelhouse of "Information Technology" has also put me in charge of the magnetically locking doors here), and I can tell you they're stupid strong but only have an effective "grabbing" range of 3 inches or less. I can hold the door open with my foot easily, but if I let that magnet get within 2-3 inches of that plate, that door ain't opening again until the magnet is off. My own testing convinced me that the steel construction of the door would bend far enough to gain entrance (the magnet is at the top corner) long before the magnet would lose its grip on the metal plate bolted to the door.

I think James Gunn might be hinting at something...
I keep forgetting SDCC is coming and that we could be in for some crazy announcements. Not WB "announce whatever sounds good at the moment whether we intend to make it or not" crazy, but Marvel "that thing you thought we'd never do well we're fucking doing it" crazy.