[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

I rarely ever hear a British actor do a bad American accent. I can name a few Americans who have done shitty English accents, though.

As has been said before, I thought Tobey Maguire did a good job playing Peter and Andrew Garfield was good as Spider-Man. I hope returning the film to MCU control will lead to Tom Holland nailing both sides of the character.

I'm a little wary of this Spider-Man film falling flat, but I've being saying that about every MCU movie since GotG (and obviously I've been wrong). I remain cautiously optimistic.

I rarely ever hear a British actor do a bad American accent. I can name a few Americans who have done shitty English accents, though.

As has been said before, I thought Tobey Maguire did a good job playing Peter and Andrew Garfield was good as Spider-Man. I hope returning the film to MCU control will lead to Tom Holland nailing both sides of the character.

I'm a little wary of this Spider-Man film falling flat, but I've being saying that about every MCU movie since GotG (and obviously I've been wrong). I remain cautiously optimistic.
I can't believe we're getting three MCU movies this year and that all of them seem worth getting excited about. Guardians 2, obviously. I really like Holland from what little we got of him in Civil War and Marvel has a good grasp of their characters. Doing Spider-man as a teen movie seems like a no-brainer. And then Thor 3 being less like Thor 2 and more Thor/Hulk/Doctor Strange cosmic road trip? Sign me the fuck up.

I'm not too psyched about the Iron Fist trailer, but I have every confidence the show will be good. And then we get The Defenders in September probably.

This could easily be the MCU's best year yet.

And if Wonder Woman is good, then the DCEU will have one good movie, so it'll also be the DCEU's best year yet :D.

So GOTG2 got a perfect score with test audiences.

Be aware they don't use a random street sample and instead a sample from "friends and family" so the movies usually rate higher, but not even the first Avengers got a perfect score.

So GOTG2 got a perfect score with test audiences.

Be aware they don't use a random street sample and instead a sample from "friends and family" so the movies usually rate higher, but not even the first Avengers got a perfect score.
If we're going to be critical, the first avengers had quite a few problems that were easy to overlook because of how fun and new it was.

Hey, if he keeps walking around, showing off his...brains...he can live here. I'm only a hammer's throw from Stark Tower anyway. :D

Wait, just hang on a second.

Hrrghn! HRRGHN!! *takes a deep breath* HRRRRRGHN!!

Nope. No matter how much I try, I can't give a shit about The Inhumans.
Right?

I know that no one cared about Guardians of the Galaxy before and it obviously worked out, but I actively dislike stories with The Inhumans. I just don't know why this is going to be a thing.

Right?

I know that no one cared about Guardians of the Galaxy before and it obviously worked out, but I actively dislike stories with The Inhumans. I just don't know why this is going to be a thing.
Because Fox has movie and tv rights to the X-Men.

Guardians of the Galaxy had a strong cult following before they made a movie. The characters were part of a critically acclaimed series of titles in the years before the movie which filled a genre gap in the MCU. The Inhumans are a supporting cast that is liked, but almost never loved by fans, that are clearly being pushed because Ike & the Mouse are unhappy that they can't make movies with their most popoular property.

Anson Mount, star of Hell on Wheels, has been cast as Blackbolt.

He's capable of being handsome and babyfaced to rugged as shit.

and

Guardians of the Galaxy had a strong cult following before they made a movie. The characters were part of a critically acclaimed series of titles in the years before the movie which filled a genre gap in the MCU. The Inhumans are a supporting cast that is liked, but almost never loved by fans, that are clearly being pushed because Ike & the Mouse are unhappy that they can't make movies with their most popoular property.
I don't think having a strong cult following is something that helps with mainstream success...

Let's be honest here: Guardians of the Galaxy's box office and critical success had pretty much nothing to do with the comic, it succeeded because the property was adapted into a fun, quirky, beautiful, rousing adventure about a rag-tag gang of misfits saving the Galaxy from destruction, set to a frankly fantastic soundtrack that was used with great effect.

Let's be honest here: Guardians of the Galaxy's box office and critical success had pretty much nothing to do with the comic, it succeeded because the property was adapted into a fun, quirky, beautiful, rousing adventure about a rag-tag gang of misfits saving the Galaxy from destruction, set to a frankly fantastic soundtrack that was used with great effect.
Seconded. I'd never read a GotG comic in my life, but loved the movie, and I doubt I'm alone in that. Making a good movie, plus good word of mouth, plus having the MCU brand attached, can pull in quite a few viewers who couldn't have cared less about the GotG comic.

Minus the soundtrack, you just described the comic, too. If it wasn't for the creative team that brought that group together, we wouldn't have had the Guadians of the Galaxy we know. Keith Giffen, who wrote the Star-Lord series during Annihilation: Conquest that re-introduced Groot, Rocket, Mantis, etc. Which was a comic about a rag-tag gang of misfits saving the Galaxy from destruction. Then they were officially the new Guardians in their own comic, under writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, which included Gamora and Drax into the group (among others yet to make MCU appearances). The whole "I am Groot" thing came straight from the comic. They could have gone with the original team from the 70s which, funny enough, included a very different Yondu, but they went with the quirkier, more popular, and much more quirkier version.

So it's honestly unfair to say the comic had nothing to do with the movie's success. It was built on the foundations created by Giffen, Abnett & Lanning, and their artists. Of course, the comic itself was completely unknown to average moviegoer. If that's what you meant, then you're totally spot on.

Last edited:
Seconded. I'd never read a GotG comic in my life, but loved the movie, and I doubt I'm alone in that. Making a good movie, plus good word of mouth, plus having the MCU brand attached, can pull in quite a few viewers who couldn't have cared less about the GotG comic.
You are the overwhelming majority of every single movie based on a comic.

I wouldn't go that far. If there's one thing the MCU does right is adapt the stories and characters from the comics in ways that work for a 2 hour film.
This, but also this Marvel is willing to be flexible with their characters to fit the films. I'll admit I only own a few issues of GotG from the 90's, but I don't remember Star-Lord being quite the "dudebro" that Christ Pratt portrayed him as.In fact, most of the stories were more straight scifi as opposed to the humor you saw in the film. Now, the more recent issues that are clearly based on Pratt and are all "abs-ahoy!" (yum), is another story.

For what it's worth, for as long as I can remember (pre-MCU), the GotG and the Inhumans were usually C-listers, at best. When we weren't dealing with Thanos, you'd maybe hear about Drax or Gamora from time-to-time, or "hey, remember they made a talking tree and raccoon?" in a Howard the Duck type-of-way. Gunn and Co. didn't pull these characters out of thin air, but they definitely had with a lot less baggage than adapting Spider-Man or even Iron Man. It gave them an (almost) clean slate to create whatever atmosphere they wanted to introduce to the general public.

Like i mentioned before, movieSL is a mix of pre-Annihilation Nova/Richard Rider and Star-lord.

EDIT: I mean Gamora was Nova's thing.

Last edited:
Of course, the comic itself was completely unknown to average moviegoer. If that's what you meant, then you're totally spot on.
I think this is what he meant. Before the movie, GotG was not a name-brand and the general public wasn't aware of them. Hell, I wasn't aware of them. I didn't even know Dan Abnett wrote comics before a couple years ago; I always associated him with Warhammer 40,000 novels.

I really shouldn't have given my Eisenhorn omnibus to my brother 10 years ago. Probably has no idea where it is and/or my mom tossed it. They don't print that anymore, so it's worth a little bit, but I wouldn't mind giving it a read after all these excellent comics I've read by Abnett lately.