[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

Unpopular opinion: I didn't like the first Iron Man movie. I think part of it was I didn't get to see it until well after the hype train went full steam ahead. I thought it was kind of boring and clunky. I remember hearing how RDJ did a ton of ad-libbing, and given how people were gushing over his performance I thought "gosh, he must have killed it with the dialogue!" Yeah, not so much.

Unpopular opinion: I didn't like the first Iron Man movie. I think part of it was I didn't get to see it until well after the hype train went full steam ahead. I thought it was kind of boring and clunky. I remember hearing how RDJ did a ton of ad-libbing, and given how people were gushing over his performance I thought "gosh, he must have killed it with the dialogue!" Yeah, not so much.
I am a gusher. I think he was great in CW too. The Manchurian Candidate line makes me LOL. I understand your dissent though. I've been burned by the hype train plenty of times. Your opinion is wrong, but I understand. :p

Nothing against RDJ, dude has charisma spilling out of his pockets. But the movie as a whole makes me think of the Hobbit movies; a director flying by the seat of his pants and hoping for the best.

Nothing against RDJ, dude has charisma spilling out of his pockets. But the movie as a whole makes me think of the Hobbit movies; a director flying by the seat of his pants and hoping for the best.
I was concerned about the director since I didn't care for Daredevil (the affleck one). I thought IM1 was a fun ride from start to finish.
Agree to disagree, compadre. :drunk:

Yeah, I don't get that impression at all. I got the impression that it was a love letter to the fans, from a fan, to give them an Iron Man movie that really sells the idea of the character. Iron Man didn't just sell the character, it sold the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's not my favorite MCU movie now, but it's the bedrock the MCU was built on.

The Hobbit movies were a confused mess with a director visibly drunk on CGI and somehow taking a small story and putting in more epic scale shit than in the actual epic scale conflict he'd done in the same universe previously.

I've never seen the Hobbit movies. I am using that as a reference point due to what I've heard regarding the filming process, where Peter Jackson dove right in with no prep work and just went with it the best he could. To me, Iron Man felt like someone coming up with ideas and never bothering to flesh it out. The two things that make it feel that way to me are the dialogue and the action scenes (well, the last battle, as I don't much remember the other action scenes). And really, the only reason I remember the last battle is for how underwhelming it was (although in fairness, I was expecting something epic due the hype). Like Favreau just gave the storyboard artist bare-bones instructions so they'd have something on paper and they just ended up going with it. I mean, from a technical aspect its fine, but it didn't strike me as very interesting. Certainly nothing to warrant the lavish praise the movie got. And the dialogue, again so bare-bones that the fact that it was mostly ad-libbed is completely unsurprising.

I mean, RDJ does a great job as Stark. I guess I'm not a big enough fan of Iron Man where that sells the rest of the movie for me.

I've never seen the Hobbit movies. I am using that as a reference point due to what I've heard regarding the filming process, where Peter Jackson dove right in with no prep work and just went with it the best he could. To me, Iron Man felt like someone coming up with ideas and never bothering to flesh it out. The two things that make it feel that way to me are the dialogue and the action scenes (well, the last battle, as I don't much remember the other action scenes). And really, the only reason I remember the last battle is for how underwhelming it was (although in fairness, I was expecting something epic due the hype). Like Favreau just gave the storyboard artist bare-bones instructions so they'd have something on paper and they just ended up going with it. I mean, from a technical aspect its fine, but it didn't strike me as very interesting. Certainly nothing to warrant the lavish praise the movie got. And the dialogue, again so bare-bones that the fact that it was mostly ad-libbed is completely unsurprising.

I mean, RDJ does a great job as Stark. I guess I'm not a big enough fan of Iron Man where that sells the rest of the movie for me.
I've never read or bought a single Iron Man comic. I don't read comics in general. I knew little about Iron Man other than "he's an alcoholic genius with a red and yellow suit of power armor". The movie sold me. I mean, I get that it didn't grab you, and that's fair, it's just that pretty much everything you're saying is a completely different experience than I had and it leaves me curious as to why.

@drifter while I disagree with you on IM1 as a whole - it does a fantastic job of not only introducing the character, but also setting up the MCU & being a fantastic movie on top of that (still one of the top MCU movies), I will admit you have a point on the final battle.

That should have been the highlight of the movie, but is inferior in every way to the battle with Tony wearing the IM1 suit (that he built in a cave...WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!), from emotional (I didn't care about Tony's beef with Stane, I did care about Yinsen's death), to action (this fight was just plain more entertaining to watch), to making my inner comic fanboy geek out (they've got the original Iron Man suit up there on the big screen. And haven't made it look stupid!).

it's just that pretty much everything you're saying is a completely different experience than I had and it leaves me curious as to why.
This is what I feel when I read someone saying how much they like it. Just one of those things I guess. :)

I'm not going to argue over Iron Man since I never read an Iron Man comic and I think those particular movies are okay-ness that's been slathered in RDJ

But I need to point out that's not how big budget movies are made.

"And starring Kurt Russell as the one whose tape broke and now we don't know what he sounds like cuz we can't play him any more."

--Patrick

I mean, I'd say that's pretty obviously framed as a slapstick kind of gag with Drax's comment.
Ya, but isn't Mantis like super durable too? My knowledge on the GOTG lore is more lax then others, but I remember a friend telling me she can survive in space without a suit and has survived getting literally exploded in the comics by splitting into an astral state and reforming later. It could be a running gag in the movie that she keeps getting into situations that should kill her but she always comes back.

I decided to look into it myself and this is the only relevant passage I can find on Wikipedia.
"The Silver Surfer finds himself falling in love with Mantis. However, Mantis (whose body was now green and had begun to manifest new powers of invulnerability that allowed her to survive in space due to side-effects of her pregnancy) grows bitter with her life and the way she was forced to abandon her child.[volume & issue needed] This comes to a head when Mantis is caught in an explosion and presumed dead by Silver Surfer.[volume & issue needed] She survives, but the strain of the previous years causes her to literally split into multiple versions of herself, each representing conflicting aspects of her psyche that could no longer co-exist inside her mind."
They don't list anything about invulnerability under her power list though.