[News] Mass shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first thought is that some islamaphobe asshole mistook the Sikhs at the temple for Muslims, and that was his motivation for the killing. It seems quite a few people can't tell the difference, or don't even know there's a difference.

My first thought is that some islamaphobe asshole mistook the Sikhs at the temple for Muslims, and that was his motivation for the killing. It seems quite a few people can't tell the difference, or don't even know there's a difference.
In other news, quite a few people are complete idiots.

Also, I'm still surprised I haven't heard "the muslims are bringing their wars over from India to our country OMG Waaaah :tina::aaah:" yet. Not that I think that's the case, mind.

In other news, quite a few people are complete idiots.

Also, I'm still surprised I haven't heard "the muslims are bringing their wars over from India to our country OMG Waaaah :tina::aaah:" yet. Not that I think that's the case, mind.
I don't think the idiots even know about wars in India even if they've been going on for 30+ years. Most people in the U.S. don't want to know much beyond their backyards.

Fucking people. If they want to die why don't they just take themselves out instead of trying to take as many people a they can with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fucking people. If they want to die why don't they just take themselves out instead of trying to take as many people a they can with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, no. If these people wanted to kill a lot of people, they'd have used bombs. Guns aren't dangerous and don't facilitate killing!

sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go hang my head in shame for a bit now.

Man, what the hell. All the Sikhs I've ever met have been great people. Sure they carry knives as part of their faith, and sure they probably know the deadliest martial art ever known to man, but still, they're wonderful guys. I can't imagine anyone wanting to hurt them.

From the CNN story:

Kaleka was not at the temple at the time of the shooting, but helped police interview witnesses in the aftermath. He said members described the attacker as a bald, white man, dressed in a white T-shirt and black pants and with a 9/11 tattoo on one arm -- which "implies to me that there's some level of hate crime there."
That's not good.

also Fox News dot com curiously left that part out!

Did you just bring up an event that happened more than 23 years ago that had NOTHING to do with the hate crime the OP posted where yet another American had far too many guns in his control?[DOUBLEPOST=1344217618][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just get the impression that Charlie and Jay fistpumped when they saw this.
I get the impression you have nothing relevant to say and just posted this to congregate two very different opinions into one generalization.

You made me feel like a Sikh.[DOUBLEPOST=1344217707][/DOUBLEPOST]
also Fox News dot com curiously left that part out!
No conspiracy there, Fox News simply sucks.

I get the impression you have nothing relevant to say and just posted this to congregate two very different opinions into one generalization.
My apologies very relevant and not at all meant to incite.

Edit: actually, I take it back about charlie. That wasn't fair of me to say, and he didn't jump into his usual rhetoric. You on the other hand, just posted your little comment about the US.

I wasn't the one blaming the other 300+ million of us whenever one idiot does something stupid like this. It's gotten old.

That's exactly what I thought.

And it sounds like that's what happened.

Fuck.

Seriously.

Dave

Staff member
One of the local newscasters has been calling the victims "Sicks" all morning.
I don't know how to pronounce it either. But if I were on the news I'd learn how.

And just a quick note. I think I'm going to be adding a section in the censorship area that will take the names of these spree killers and either X them out or make fun of them. Not so much in cases where the guy was killed but in cases of the Colorado shooter where he could get his jollies by being acknowledged.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I don't know how to pronounce it either. But if I were on the news I'd learn how.
SEE-kh-s, I believe. With the 'kh' pronounced like in the word 'charisma'.[DOUBLEPOST=1344281409][/DOUBLEPOST]No, wait... just checked. It's pronounced either /si:k/ (the same as 'seak') or /s|k/ (as in 'sick'). At least in English.

And just a quick note. I think I'm going to be adding a section in the censorship area that will take the names of these spree killers and either X them out or make fun of them. Not so much in cases where the guy was killed but in cases of the Colorado shooter where he could get his jollies by being acknowledged.
Yeah, I don't like that idea at all, but then I hate all censorship filters

That just seems kind of silly.

GasBandit

Staff member
While I agree the mass media needs to stop rebroadcasting their faces and names every 30 seconds for months following their criminal acts, I don't think the same goals are served here on a tiny forum that isn't even in the top 350,000 websites out there.

Dave

Staff member
I don't know whether to feel bad that we don't matter or bad that the idea is silly.

GasBandit

Staff member
Instead of x's why not replace it with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.
I don't think that's appropriate either... the whole point of that plot device in the book was to be cowed out of even saying a tyrant's name out of fear of his power. That's so very completely not the intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.