Marvel Snap - Ben Brode's new game

So I've made a huge mistake, I tried playing Marvel Snap, a free to play collectible card game available on mobile and steam. And it's fucking good.

The only reason I even bothered to look at a free to play marvel branded mobile game is that it's the first game by Second Breakfast, Ben Brode's new company ever since leaving as leader designer of Hearthstone. And this game clearly learned a lot from the blunders that Hearthstone still faces, while offering fast, tactical, unique games.

The basic idea is that there are three locations on the board, and you have to win two of them. Each card in your 12 card singleton deck is a creature with a power rating and different abilities. If you have more power at a location than your opponent, you win that location. Each game is six turns, by the end of turn six whoever wins more locations is the winner.

Each location can also have random effects, which makes every game play out differently.

The best part of this game, however, is that it seems to be a very, very generous free to play model. You can't buy cards, you can't even buy random card packs. Instead by playing the game and winning matches you gain materials to unlock new card variants (different arts and stuff) and then your collection level goes up. As your collection level goes up, you unlock new cards. Matchmaking is only made against people in the same collection level as you.

I'm doing a terrible job of explaining this, go try it for yourself. But I'm hooked.

20221121160740_1.jpg

I forgot to mention the whole SNAP thing.

The way ranking works (and ranking is purely for bragging and some rewards like avatars), ten points gets you up to your next rank. Ranking starts at 1 and goes up, so higher is better. Every game you win earns you two points, so five wins will increase your rank one level. But, if you lose, you lose 2 points, so losing 5 games will makes you go down a rank.

But you can retreat if you feel you can't win, retreat halves the number of points you lose, so you lose only 1 point on a retreat.

BUT, if any player thinks they can win, they can SNAP and double the stakes. If the opponent continues after the snap, 4 points will be gotten on a win, and 4 points lost on a loss. Retreating after a snap loses only 2. Of course, you can retreat in response to the snap and still only lose 1 if you aren't confident to play it out.

But if you ARE confident, you can Snap Back! and double the bet again. Now whoever wins gets 8 points and whoever loses is 8 points lost.

The above screenshot is of someone that snapped me on fricken turn one. Naturally I had to snap back and wreck him, felt fucking good.

I know no one cares about this game but me, but GET WREKT, PERSON WHO SNAPPED ON ME

View attachment 43103
For people that don't know what these cards do, in the middle location there I have a blue marvel, who has an ongoing ability to give all other creatures +1 power, and then three onslaughts, who each have an ongoing ability to double the power of all ongoing abilities at this location... which in turn double the other onslaughts, each also double-double-doubling blue marvel

*snif* "But...I'm Batman!" (walks away slowly) *ugly cry* "I'm Batman, mom! Really I'm Batman..."

--Patrick

Silver Surfer just got added to the game, a 3 cost 0 power with ability: give all other three drops +3 power. This has lead to some new strategies, and because he has 0 power he synergizes really well with Mister Negative, who swaps the cost and power of all cards in your deck.
IMG_20221206_084529_334.jpg

I just saw that this thread existed but I've been obsessed too - collection level 1298 lol
I was having fun with a discard deck this last weekend when bar sinister was in a higher rotation - Moon Knight says "No Cards For You!"21CFAB05-D4C6-467F-8ED7-3B15EB7AF219.jpeg

I just saw that this thread existed but I've been obsessed too - collection level 1298 lol
I was having fun with a discard deck this last weekend when bar sinister was in a higher rotation - Moon Knight says "No Cards For You!"View attachment 43109
Pfft, your opponent was a coward, I can still win a topdeck war.

Now sticking a yondu there is fun, no deck for you

True Fact: People who use Cosmo and/or Professor X in their deck have never made a human woman orgasm.

Ha, I should've known to check here for other people playing. I'm obsessed with this game, even payed for the Silver surfer premium pass, I don't think I've ever paid for a mobile game pass-thing before.

I love the gameplay, but I do echo the frustrations with the pool 4-5 cards being so hard to get. You have to basically grind for hours every day, even if you pay, don't know how they can hold on to whales long term with that system.

Ha, I should've known to check here for other people playing. I'm obsessed with this game, even payed for the Silver surfer premium pass, I don't think I've ever paid for a mobile game pass-thing before.

I love the gameplay, but I do echo the frustrations with the pool 4-5 cards being so hard to get. You have to basically grind for hours every day, even if you pay, don't know how they can hold on to whales long term with that system.
So, the good news is that starting at the end of this month, they're going to start rotating cards into lower pools. Going forward, new cards being added start in pool 5, the very rare pool, and they push down previous pool 5 cards into pool 4, who then push down pool 4 cards into pool 3, which is gauranteed (assuming you have them all). Some cards, like Thanos and Galactus, are consider epic and will always be pool 5

Well I fell down a rabbit hole fast.

I don't know if I'm decent or people are just stupid. I started playing last night and I think I've only lost a handful of games, almost gold.

Example, a location gives you 1 extra energy if you leave it open(can't recall which). Almost without fail these guys are putting things in there as soon as its revealed.

Well I fell down a rabbit hole fast.

I don't know if I'm decent or people are just stupid. I started playing last night and I think I've only lost a handful of games, almost gold.

Example, a location gives you 1 extra energy if you leave it open(can't recall which). Almost without fail these guys are putting things in there as soon as its revealed.
What's your collection level? If you're still very early on it's possible there's no one of similar clvl to match you with so you're mostly playing against bots

What's your collection level? If you're still very early on it's possible there's no one of similar clvl to match you with so you're mostly playing against bots
139 or so I think?

Edit: 147 at the moment. Most of the people I'm playing seem to have the same or better cards and I've not bought anything so not sure how my collection level would be so much higher than my opponents if it is.

Last edited:
139 or so I think?

Edit: 147 at the moment. Most of the people I'm playing seem to have the same or better cards and I've not bought anything so not sure how my collection level would be so much higher than my opponents if it is.
That's super low. You beat all the newbies and only have bots to match against now, that'll change as your CL goes up.

Reactions: Far
Aghhh I was 1 point away from Omega before season close with 20 minutes left and I could not make it happen.

I wanted to throw together an actual Avengers deck just for shits and giggles and landed on this for now. It's not gonna send you flying up the ranking but it's a fun change of pace deck and not something anyone would predict.
1E2E7B4A-61CF-4AA9-B357-13A49DD62565.jpeg

I quit now. The extra 5 levels after each milestone they started doing for this season really made this possible though.

1678513879706.png

Used this most of the way up from 20 where I was at at the start of the week...

1678513959063.png

I want Throg but I'm not fucking paying 90$ cdn for him, jesus christ.

But I can go back to playing fun decks again at least. I need casual mode something fierce.
1680983561744.png

True Fact: People who use Cosmo and/or Professor X in their deck have never made a human woman orgasm.
Currently, Professor X followed by Alioth is testing my patience.

Control decks are for boring, scared people.

I played this game religiously, had all the cards, took a break to focus on baldur's gate 3 when it launched and the idea of trying to catch up soured me so much I decided to just uninstall