[Comics] Marvel NOW

“It’s not hype when we say that AvX is the culmination of a lot of stories we’ve done over the last several years"

That's strange. They've said that about past events, too. So which one is the culmination?

Anyway, who wants to take bets on how long this lasts? I give a year, tops.

As long as it isn't a reboot that turns all their female characters into whores *cough*flashpoint*cough* I'm cool with it.

I'm intrigued by Bendis' idea for the X-men. It's an interesting way to bring Jean Grey back without actually resurrecting her.

Zappit

Staff member
So they do a new status quo that lasts until they go back on it, like the post-Civil War fallout.

I think Civil War had quite a bit of lasting impact. Things only really got back to status quo after The Seige. That was, what a few years of prominent ramifications.

I'm obviously excluding the bullshit that is One More Day.

Zappit

Staff member
I'm not arguing that Civil War didn't have consequences or really changed the status quo - it did. But, it felt like after those few years things simply settled back to (or close to) where they were before Civil War. I'll give Marvel credit for not throwing out all their stories and history (like some other company) and rebooting from square one, but they always kinda slink back to one established, kinda bland status quo. Osborn in charge of SHIELD/HAMMER was cool, until that came undone. There could have been years of stories from that, making the world's peacekeeping force a real, shadowy threat. Dead Cap was dead, until TIME TRAVEL instead. THAT could have had such greater impact if Marvel had the balls to go through with it and make it stick. He would have become the ultimate fallen hero in the Marvel U.

One More Day was bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, and a bit more bullshit. They even tried to force that in the daily newspaper Spider-Man strip, but Stan Lee and the readers called bullshit on it and went back. Joe Q should hang his head in shame for forcing such a moronic idea through.

Uncanny Avengers sounds crazy interesting. From the article:
Uncanny Avengers: Remender describes this as “a bridge book, something that can delve into both worlds. It has a natural purpose for existing after AvX, where we can focus on human-mutant relations. The broad strokes are: Captain America comes out of AvX and recognizes that he hasn’t done enough to help the mutants.” The book will be drawn by John Cassaday, and will include heavy-hitters like Cap, Thor, and Wolverine, but Remender is also excited to focus on some less well-known characters, like Cyclops’ little brother Havok. “Havok’s always been the black sheep rock-and-roller of the Summers family. He can’t do that anymore. You’re going to see Havok become one of the biggest players in the Marvel Universe.”

Perhaps appropriate for a team that comprises a vision for the Marvel Universe’s future, the Uncanny Avengers’ first villain will be, literally, a ghost of the past. “In 1943, Arnim Zola, who was this bio-fanatic engineer, recorded the Red Skull’s consciousness, and set it to wake up 70 years later. So the Red Skull [in Uncanny] is right out of 1943-44. Prime Nazi scumbag. In his mind, he’s taking that vitriol and hate and Nazi horror and methodology, and pointing it at the mutant species.” And Remender stresses that the mash-up philosophy of Uncanny extends beyond the team’s lineup. “I’m not just smashing the heroes together, I’m smashing the villains together. It becomes something unlike anything we’ve ever seen, with stakes that are so huge, it takes a team comprised of the best Avengers and the best X-Men to go take care of it.” (Starts in October)
A mixed Avengers/X-Men team fighting a genocidal Red Skull who is focused on destroying mutant kind. Written by Rick Remender, who has done some pretty interesting stuff so far. May as well add it to my pull list tonight. Hickman's Avengers sounds somewhat promising as well - 18 member team, bi-weekly, stories large in scope (but then again, it is Hickman and that's what he does), mix of big story arcs and one-and-dones. I'm digging his run on Ultimates so far, I'll give his Avengers a shot.

As long as Jonathan Hickman is writing something, Marvel will have my money. The things he's been doing with FF and The Ultimates are just great.

Everything else ranges from semi to straight up uninteresting. Jean grey stuff sounds awful. GotG has been great, in my shitty opinion, because it hasn't been dragged down with a ton of interaction from the mainstream Marvel universe.

Seriously though jean grey blargh.

Also, black nick fury in the main continuity continues to be stupid.

I like the X-Men stuff. The concept of the original team seeing what a mess the X-men have become opens up a whole window for commentary on, well, the mess that the X-men have become. Scott in particular should hate what he's become.

I can't wait to see Beast's reaction to being a big blue cat thing :p

I'm glad to see Axel Alonso is keeping the same view on readers' intelligence as Quesada did.

Nrama: We're in a world where an Avengers movie made $600 million, so is there a consideration given to catering to that audience?
Alonso: Catering is making the characters in your comics look exactly like the characters in the movie, and we definitely aren’t doing that. Indeed, I wouldn’t say we’re “catering,” at all. We’re just aware that the Avengers have more fans that ever, and doing our best to make the new stories accessible to anyone who decides to test-drive the comics.

Not for nothing, but I think he has a point. I don't think it would be particularly easy to jump onto Captain America or the Avengers titles for a new reader right now.

And the All-New X-Men idea might be interesting if it weren't Bendis writing it. Not that I dislike his writing in general, I just don't think he's the right man for capturing and updating characterization straight out of the 60's.

Also, black nick fury in the main continuity continues to be stupid.
I agree, but at least they gave original flavor Nick Fury a good send off (didn't read Battle Scars, but I've been told he retired due to the Infinity Formula that's been retarding his aging since the 1960's is wearing off) and did so in a way that doesn't preclude his return.

Not for nothing, but I think he has a point. I don't think it would be particularly easy to jump onto Captain America or the Avengers titles for a new reader right now.
I agree with this. If you try to go over Avengers Disassembled and the subsequent BS with the Scarlet Witch, you're going to see most new reader's eyes gloss over.

Wait, so now there's more mutants than non mutants on the team?

So, it's pretty much the X-men guest starring Thor and Captain America.

Well, two of those mutants (Logan and Scarlet Witch) have been Avengers for quite awhile. Wanda, in fact, is probably more closely associated with The Avengers now, rather than with X-Men.

BananaHands

Staff member
Guys, I miss reading comics but I don't want to pick up halfway through one of these "GIGANTIC STORY ARCS" that seem to be the only thing happening in Marvel.

Basically, should I pick up these Marvel NOW! Titles?

Guys, I miss reading comics but I don't want to pick up halfway through one of these "GIGANTIC STORY ARCS" that seem to be the only thing happening in Marvel.

Basically, should I pick up these Marvel NOW! Titles?
If The Heroic Age is any indication no.

If Brand New Day is any indication probably.

Tentatively, I would say "Yes, yes you should". New creative teams going in brand new directions on most of the relaunched books. Indestructible Hulk ad Uncanny Avengers seem particularly promising.[DOUBLEPOST=1347036357][/DOUBLEPOST]
If The Heroic Age is any indication no.

If Brand New Day is any indication probably.
The thing with Heroic Age was that they didn't really change creative teams around that much. So the big, ongoing arcs in individual titles (like the X-Books, Invincible Iron Man, Hulk, etc) just incorporated what was going on. In this case, most creative teams are being switched around and a bunch of ninety degree turns are being taken (Indestructible Hulk is a big one in that regard). So there's a better chance of actual change.

BananaHands

Staff member
I was thinking of picking up the New X-Men, just because the concept seems kind of neat too.

I just hope it isn't a bunch of "AH DON'T WANNA TURN INTO DA PHEEEEOOOWWNIIIIWWWX!" from Jean.

The thing with Heroic Age was that they didn't really change creative teams around that much. So the big, ongoing arcs in individual titles (like the X-Books, Invincible Iron Man, Hulk, etc) just incorporated what was going on. In this case, most creative teams are being switched around and a bunch of ninety degree turns are being taken (Indestructible Hulk is a big one in that regard). So there's a better chance of actual change.
I mention Heroic Age for the grand sweeping promise of a brighter tone in the Marvel Universe, with actual heroics and less "hero" vs. "hero" and "hero" causes the problems, only to be right back to the same "real world" infighting and "super-heroes are the actual cause of all villainy" bullshit after 3 months. Which as Marvel readers know means half a story.

Despite that boring cover, as long as the plot is good I'll check it out.
See, I was talking about the line-up. The cover was "meh", but the team was "meh"-er. However, the solicitation for issues two:
  • What are The Red Skull’s new powers? How did he become the most powerful man on Earth
  • Can Havok and Thor defeat the spreading influence of Honest John, The Living Propaganda?!
  • Rogue and Scarlet Witch trapped on the Isle of the Red Skull’s S-Men!
    Wolverine & Captain America: uncover the truth behind the worldwide mutant assassination epidemic!
Sounds like exactly the batshit insanity of awesomeness I have come to expect from a Rick Remender comic. So I'm in. Also, this:
Hulk - Indestructible force more weapon than man. Banner – smartest man alive. Combined they are the Strongest, Smartest Weapon on the planet! And NOW! the INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK is an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.!

Looks rather promising. As does the three piece cover of Avengers #1

That is Cannonball and Sunspot among The Avengers. That's kind of awesome.

Man, I love when Lenil Yu just gets filthy with the Hulk's art. The messier his pencils become, the more I like it.

Okay I'm not complaining here, but why is the Hulk's hair....nice? It looks like he just got back from the barber.
Because he's being drawn that way? A more orderly hairstyle is being used as a way to visually convey the level of control Banner's going to have over The Hulk? BTW: HULK AS A SHIELD AGENT WRITTEN BY MARK WAID OH SO MUCH THE YESNESS.

Wait....why are Flash Thompson Venom on the team? Aren't the Thunderbolts there against there free will from the government? But....HE'S A DAMN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE! In-fact- SO IS RED HULK! This is just weird in my opinion.

Wait....why are Flash Thompson Venom on the team? Aren't the Thunderbolts there against there free will from the government? But....HE'S A DAMN GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE! In-fact- SO IS RED HULK! This is just weird in my opinion.
From the book's editor:
Unlike the most recent Thunderbolts, this group is not working for any government program -- this is Red Hulk's team, to do with as he sees fit...
The old series and its storylines continue in Dark Avengers, which will have had that title for something like six months by the time Thunderbolts drops. Though it is going in a new direction come December.