[Comics] Marvel NOW

There are few angry words I can use to describe my absolute hate on for what has become of the only Marvel comic I've enjoyed in years.

Also, why does Marvel feel the need to introduce Wolverine 2010 into every fucking team? Deadpool serls cermix!

Fuck off.

Norris Okay....still weird though.
Yeah, if there's a Marvel NOW book that looks the most "meh", it's that one. Though FF is something I'm still waffling on.

Announced today at Comic Book Resources:

The title and the character designs didn't really wow me. However, the interview with writer Dennis Hopeless sold me on it. The specific quotes that intrigued me:
Our first arc is the story of how Cable and his X-Force become the world's Most Wanted mutant terrorists. You know how at the beginning and end of every "Mission Impossible" movie Tom Cruise is a spy, but in the middle he's an international criminal on the run from the whole world? That's what we're doing here.

I keep pulling out dated movie references, but the Uncanny Avengers are our Tommy Lee Jones from "The Fugitive." They're heroes acting heroically the whole time. From their perspective, this X-Force is a team of super villains.

I don't want to give too much away just yet, but I think we have a unique opportunity for cool fights with this X-Force. They're in a desperate situation here. That means throwing down with anyone who gets in the way, which should be fun.

At its core, the book is about X-Force breaking the law. I have a lot of different kinds of jobs planned for the team but they're all crime stories. There's a lot of variety within that though. I mean, "Breaking Bad," "The Wire," "The Usual Suspects" and "Oceans 11" are all crime stories.

The hype for Cable & X-Force makes no sense. How can they be the world's most wanted mutant terrorists when Cyclops and crew already have that because of ATTEMPTED GENOCIDE?

The hype for Cable & X-Force makes no sense. How can they be the world's most wanted mutant terrorists when Cyclops and crew already have that because of ATTEMPTED GENOCIDE?
Well, that depends: Has Cyclops escaped from jail yet? Last I saw (the final issue of Uncanny X-Men), he was still locked up. Emma Frost was last seen in custody as well. I know that Magik is free and I think Namor is as well. Colossus, one of the Phoenix Five, is a member of Cable's X-Force.

So. Amazing Spider-Man. Anyone read this? Pretty big things happening to lead into the big 700 issue, and then the new Superior Spider-Man from there. Summary below:

In ASM 698, Peter seems...not quite himself. Odd speech pattern, strange behavior in general. Doc Ock is dying, and mutters Pete's name. The Avengers bring Pete in to see Ock one last time, and he goes in alone, no cameras/people. Turns out, at some point in the last arc, Ock swapped minds. He won't reveal how, but at the end of the issue it looks like the real Peter dies in Ock's body as Ock walks out in Peter's. Most speculate it has something to do with the End of the Earth arc and the gold Octobot seen there and a few other places after. Leading into something huge apparently happening in ASM 700, and then from there the new Superior Spider-Man book.

Well, that depends: Has Cyclops escaped from jail yet? Last I saw (the final issue of Uncanny X-Men), he was still locked up. Emma Frost was last seen in custody as well. I know that Magik is free and I think Namor is as well. Colossus, one of the Phoenix Five, is a member of Cable's X-Force.
He's free in All New X-Men 1, but in prison in Uncanny Avengers (of which issue 2 appears to be late already :rolleyes:). So they fucked it up already.

He's free in All New X-Men 1, but in prison in Uncanny Avengers (of which issue 2 appears to be late already :rolleyes:). So they fucked it up already.
Hmmm....I wonder if breaking Cyke out of jail is what makes Cable's team the most wanted mutant terrorists?

Oh, and Indestructible Hulk dropped today. It was fucking amazing.

From what I've read so far:

• Red She Hulk: Trash. There is nothing redeemable about this title.
  • Uncanny Avengers: Good. Provided the book comes out on time.
  • All New X-Men: Good. Could have used a bit more action, but it's Bendis so I'm not sure why a book with nothing but a splash page surrounded by talking head surprises me
  • Iron Man: Meh. Greg Lands art makes the book a lot duller than it should.
  • Captain America: Surprise hit. Completely different direction from Brubaker's run, turns out to be what is needed to follow that 8 year run. Loads of fun.
  • Indestructible Hulk: Good. At time it panders to hard to the mythical new reader brought in by the Avengers. One line in particular indicates Waid was told to only use a character summary as character history. See also the use of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. Still interesting what Banner is willing to do when it's not his father-in-law trying to use him for national defense.

BananaHands

Staff member
I am loving All New X-Men, Thor and Uncanny Avengers.

Thunderbolts? Eh. Art wasn't that great and nothing really stood out to me.

BananaHands

Staff member
Anyone still reading these? Kind of dropped off with everything but Thor over here. Young Avengers is fun I gueeeesss....

Confused by the question. :confused:

Daredevil is still amazing, Hulk is good, All-New X-Men is ok, and I'm still picking up Captain America, Thor, FF, and the Two Hickman Avengers title, but I'm behind on them.

BananaHands

Staff member
I should pick up Daredevil. I keep hearing about it.

Oh, I am totally still reading Superior Spider-Man, but am just kind of mixed on how I feel about it. Uncanny Avengers lost me after
ONSLAUGHT

Is FF good?? How about Fantastic Four?

I've heard the opposite about Hickman from my local comic shop guy. Then again, he's a huge fan of anything Hickman does, so take that for what you will.

Has anyone read either Scarlet Spider or Venom? I've honestly been curious about them because they're like Daredevil, in their own little corner of the Marvel U.

BananaHands

Staff member
I've heard the opposite about Hickman from my local comic shop guy. Then again, he's a huge fan of anything Hickman does, so take that for what you will.

Has anyone read either Scarlet Spider or Venom? I've honestly been curious about them because they're like Daredevil, in their own little corner of the Marvel U.
I've heard nothing but good things about Scarlet Spider, Venom I'm not sure about. I was gonna pick up Scarlet Spider soon.

Mark Waid's Daredevil is his best work since his Fantastic Four run. Highly recommend picking up the trades (or back issues if that's your bag).[DOUBLEPOST=1368199493][/DOUBLEPOST]

I like Hickman, and is Fantastic Four run was great. Fraction however "writes" (and I use that term loosely) each character like a bad parody of themselves.

All caught up on Superior, prepare to rage at 9.

I hear Scarlet Spider is good, might check that out. Posehn's run on Deadpool isn't bad, either.

fade

Staff member
I really hope that's not promo art. Because if it is, a billion Marvel fans just did the ND Tyson hands and walked away from their computers.

For decades, Spider-Man was my favorite comic book. I'll pick up a trade here and but that's it.

Full disclosure, this does NOT include Ultimate Spider-Man, which I loved. Haven't had a chance to read it as I pretty much stopped reading all the Ultimate line when Ultimatum reared it's ugly head.

Bowielee You'd really like the new Ultimate Spider-Man, I bet. I read the first 6-issue story arc and really enjoyed Miles Morales.

Also, if you want another post-Clone Saga Spidey recommendation? Check out Peter Jenkins' run on Peter Parker Spider-Man.