[MLB] 2023 Major League Baseball Season (MLB Thread)

1981 American League East 2nd Half Champions
1982 American League Champions
2008 National League Wild Card
2011 National League Central Champions
2018 National League Central Champions
2019 National League Wild Card
2020 National League Wild Card
2021 National League Central Champions

...by the Padres? ;)
I wish I could say that I was surprised by the speed at which the Padres collapsed this season. I've been a Padres fan my entire life and am used to them playing bad baseball. When they can pitch, they can't hit. When they can hit, they can't pitch. This season was crueler than most because the Padres were actually pretty good going into early August. Then the whole team collectively got the yips at the same time. They struggled to eke out wins against the Diamondbacks and Rockies.

If the MLB had a relegation system like European soccer clubs, the Padres would have been sent down decades ago. At least then they'd be playing with the Pirates, Orioles, and other peer teams.

...The Cardinals are going to zoom right past everyone, host the Wild Card, beat the Dodgers, the Giants, then us (AGAIN) before destroying whoever comes out of the AL, aren't they?

“Ladies and gentlemen, our long national nightmare is over.”

Brewers beat the Cards, 4-0. And all is right with the world.

104 wins. Holy shit. I did not think this year would be the year the Giants set a franchise record (since coming to the West Coast in 1968).

And the Padres are doing us a solid by beating LA. Woo!

EDIT: Aw, the Dodgers came back to win it. Bastards.

Last edited:
Pagan has been awful lately. He looked like he was pitching at the Dodgers' batting practice. He needs to go, and so does Tingler.

This past week is why we need expanded playoffs. Toronto and Seattle deserved a date with October.
MLB is too big to go back to There Can Be Only One like pre-1969. They should re-align into four divisions each and be done with it. If you can't win your division, tough. Same for interleague. Want your team to play the other guys? Get gud and make the WS, end of discussion.

And make things right with a league swap and put Houston and Milwaukee back where they belong.

This past week is why we need expanded playoffs. Toronto and Seattle deserved a date with October.
While I like the idea, Seattle didn't cut it this year. It was close, true, but hopefully that leaves them motivated to kick ass next year. Seattle is the only team to never have been to the World Series and, I believe, has the longest post-season drought of any team. So believe me that I want them in the post-season! Their stellar farm system and amazing run after the all-star break this year show some real promise for the near future, at least.

MLB is too big to go back to There Can Be Only One like pre-1969. They should re-align into four divisions each and be done with it. If you can't win your division, tough.
As much as I hate to defend the Dodgers, it’s a ridiculous idea that this year’s team wouldn’t get into the playoffs at all under your proposal, while some shit division winner like the Braves would get a spot.

As much as I hate to defend the Dodgers, it’s a ridiculous idea that this year’s team wouldn’t get into the playoffs at all under your proposal, while some shit division winner like the Braves would get a spot.
That's how it was for decades. You won the division or you went home. Not the Braves fault that the Dodgers couldn't get it done.

There are still some Reds fans salty about not making the playoffs in 1981 despite having the "best combined record" over the split season.

That's how it was for decades. You won the division or you went home. Not the Braves fault that the Dodgers couldn't get it done.

There are still some Reds fans salty about not making the playoffs in 1981 despite having the "best combined record" over the split season.
I know that’s how it used to be, but that’s never a good excuse for doing something. IMO it was a bad idea then, and it’s a bad idea now.

So, prediction time:

* Cards over Dodgers, Yanks over Boston
* Brewers over Braves, Cards over Giants
* Rays over Yanks, Astros over ChiSox
* Rays over Astros
* Dammit, not again
* Cards over Rays in Seven

And while everyone was paying attention to Mason Crosby missing field goals in Cincinnati, the Braves pound the Crew again.

It's the Curse of the Hammer.