[MLB] 2023 Major League Baseball Season (MLB Thread)

In (somewhat) related news, when I did the Dirty Girl run, we got to run through the layers of Citi Field. Despite being the home of the Mets, it really is a nice stadium. It was good to know where they store all the beer...in case of emergency, of course. ;)

It was also really cool to get to run in the outfield of a pro stadium. I wish I had gotten some photos of that part, even the dorky one of pretending to catch a fly ball against the back wall.

So why do people buy food and drinks at games? I stopped doing it ages ago because of the prices. (Well, I also dislike drinking beer from plastic cups)

I did it because after the dash from subway to hotel and back to subway after the train to NYC, I didn't have time to stop and eat before getting to the game. I sat down with my food right at the first pitch. :)

I did it because after the dash from subway to hotel and back to subway after the train to NYC, I didn't have time to stop and eat before getting to the game. I sat down with my food right at the first pitch. :)
Oh yeah. My question wasn't really directed to your experience, since you kinda went to the the game as a tourist. I was thinking about the people like me who regularly go to hometown games.

But now I'm thinking that is indeed part of the answer to my question. People go as tourists, and so are willing to pay extra "for the experience"

But now I'm thinking that is indeed part of the answer to my question. People go as tourists, and so are willing to pay extra "for the experience"
In my case it was the experience of "not passing out" after that dash from Penn Station to Flushing Chinatown with all that luggage. :p

My experience, in the past, has been having nothing to do on a Thursday afternoon while everyone else was at work, so I'd sit in the cheap seats and read a book.

Seriously. I have been to quite a few Blue Jays games that I never watched. Well, barely watched.

See, that makes me sad. Watch a Giants game on any given day, even an afternoon one on a weekday, and there is always a packed house. Then I see a game at Dodgers stadium on TV on a weekend, and there's hardly anyone in the stands, and most of those who ARE there leave by the 7th inning.

See, that makes me sad. Watch a Giants game on any given day, even an afternoon one on a weekday, and there is always a packed house. Then I see a game at Dodgers stadium on TV on a weekend, and there's hardly anyone in the stands, and most of those who ARE there leave by the 7th inning.
The great unanswered question is who is the guy slamming on the brakes in the background when Kirk Gibson hits that home run in the '88 World Series.

In my case it was the experience of "not passing out" after that dash from Penn Station to Flushing Chinatown with all that luggage. :p
What, didn't you have the glamorous 7 train to chauffeur you door-to door? /end sarcasm.

My experience, in the past, has been having nothing to do on a Thursday afternoon while everyone else was at work, so I'd sit in the cheap seats and read a book.

Seriously. I have been to quite a few Blue Jays games that I never watched. Well, barely watched.
I wish I had that option. Around here, even "cheap seats" aren't cheap. :(

Yeah, there's something special about the Giants community. When AT&T opened people treated it like an experience and never took it for granted. In the late 2000's the place began to sellout every night, and obviously since winning a title (and then 2 more) there's been an overwhelming surge of passion. I only see fan bases like that at a few other ballparks, and most of them are more like what @Gruebeard deacribed.

We're spoiled! :cool:

Hey, I've also gone to plenty of games to watch the game, too. It's just that when I was living downtown Toronto, the Skydome was a nearby place I could spend time outside without feeling like I was loitering on a corner. And the place was empty enough that I felt like I was getting away from the madding crowd.

Okay, that makes me a little sad, too, @Cheesy1

And the Jays do get a crowd. At their worst, they still got enough people to sell out a hockey game. Now that the fans have hope of success after more than two decades, they're selling out again to eager excited fans.[DOUBLEPOST=1439397437,1439397184][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, there's something special about the Giants community. When AT&T opened people treated it like an experience and never took it for granted. In the late 2000's the place began to sellout every night, and obviously since winning a title (and then 2 more) there's been an overwhelming surge of passion. I only see fan bases like that at a few other ballparks, and most of them are more like what @Gruebeard deacribed.

We're spoiled! :cool:
That was the way Toronto was, too, when the Skydome was built and the Jays then won back-to-back. But years of losing followed and the passion dwindled.

A discussion was raised on Yahoo Sports about doing away with Divisional Play - or, at least, altering the post-season seedings so that the top three teams in each league get the "first-round bye" regardless of whether or not they won their Division.

Divisions are here to stay, I think - but that concept of rewarding teams with the three best records (regardless of whether or not they won the division) with a bye out of the play-in game is worth considering.

I would much rather do away with interleague play. You want to see those guys? Either spend the money and make the trip yourself, or pressure your team to get gud and make the Series.

But then that would require the Blue Jays get gud at the same time as the Expos.

. . .

And that Montreal gets a team again.

The Jack Z era is over in Seattle, and we've finally sent our catcher (who, like most of our team, couldn't hit the ball if his life depended on it), back down to AAA.

After attending today's Reds game in 90+ degree heat, I would like to say that there are few things finer than the women that attend baseball games at major league ballparks

South Korean press is a mix of mourning and outrage tonight. "Murderous tackle" was one response to the slide. Kang expected to be out 6-8... months. [emoji17]