Lots and lots of time outs

Dave

Staff member
VPS purchased. I do NOT know when they will make the move. They state there will be 0 downtime, but I'll have to update the nameservers so when it happens I'll have to go to another site & update. Then the DNS will have to propagate. So you might get some time-outs.

And I have NO idea when it'll happen so I'm going to give the information to Gas in case I'm not around. One of us will be. When we go down, please let me know on Facebook or Twitter. Or if after 4 PM CT you can message me on Twitch or Discord.

What will this get us, exactly? Just faster load times? Or are there more benefits coming along for the ride?

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Other than root access that I won't use, no. This is entirely to make it so that the site is usable by people. The first person we lose to a crappy connection that I could prevent is one too many.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, looks like the new server now has the DNS pointing to it... and that means that everything rolled back to where it was when the new server copied the data from the old server.

Rescued from the latest forum hiccup:
Dave said:
By the way, they have made the move and gave me new nameserver names...but they don't work so I turned everything back on. I'll probably be sending the email to Gas because I'm not going to be around until later tonight thanks to a Thanksgiving party at my mom's home.
PatrThom said:
[Note that this does NOT actually apply here, as we are on the new forum]
Just a warning, if you are seeing this message, then you have probably stumbled onto the old "zombie" forum at IP address 68.65.123.68 because your DNS information is old/outdated. The new forum IP address is 192.64.115.225 and unless you refresh your DNS cache, you run the risk of having any new posts lost once the old forum/database is shut down. Gas would've frozen it, but his DNS has updated and he's not motivated enough to use alternate means to access this old forum.

In other words, if this is the newest post on the forum, you're probably still going to the old one.

...unless new posts are being sent to both new and old fora simultaneously? But that'd be weird.

--Patrick

Just wanted to say:
a) Thank you :eek:
b) the forum is loading much better again and quite a bit faster
c) it's still slow and producing the occasional time out, but loading 12 tabs now results in maybe one or two time outs, which are solved with a simple reload. This is pretty much the situation from a few weeks ago, and while not perfect, at least easily workable.

Dave

Staff member
I also haven't updated the server to the correct settings, thanks to not seeing this board at home yet. Once I do that ti SHOULD clear everything up.

Thanks @GasBandit for putting up the alerts. It’s still a bit of a minefield as far as DNS propagation goes, especially since the version that loads for me can flip back and forth based on something as simple as my current WiFi v cellular strength.

—Patrick

Going to the old IP now gives a big “ACCOUNT SUSPENDED” message, so that should certainly cut down on any confusion.

—Patrick

It seems like it got better for me, I think. I did notice a difference, but I want to say I still have occasional slow down, just not as bad as before.

Dave

Staff member
Well I have yet to make the change to the server code. I was waiting to see if a VPS would help out before I tinkered.

Here's what things still look like for me whenever I visit a new page.:
vpsbutnotinker.png

Revisiting pages I have already viewed is noticeably faster (even if they have added a new post or two), but I don't know if that is due to caching on my end or the VPS since I don't have a way to disable my local browser cache.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I need to go into the SSH shell to make a change to the definition file, but I'm reading up on exactly what to do before I make the attempt.