[Brazelton] Loot Crate (Not Loot Crates, which I did not know existed.)

figmentPez

Staff member
Dammit, it's microtransaction loot crates we want killed off, not Loot Crate! Did someone use a monkey's paw?

figmentPez

Staff member
From elation to disappointment in the time it takes to click on a thread title :(
Dave erroneously adding an "s" to the name of the company sure didn't help the confusion.

Like the difference between GamersGate (online game retailer) and Gamergate (misogyny).

Dave

Staff member
There's a Loot Crates? Seriously? I had no idea. Sorry about the mix-up. I'll edit the title.

figmentPez

Staff member
There's a Loot Crates? Seriously? I had no idea. Sorry about the mix-up. I'll edit the title.
"Loot crates" is one of the generic terms for "surprise mechanics"... I mean gambling... I mean buying random in-game crap with microtransactions. Overwatch calls them Loot Boxes, Star Wars Battlefront 2 had (has?) a variety of types of crates, Shadow of War called them War Chests.

It's not like there's only one name, so saying that Loot Crate sends out loot crates makes sense, but when I saw the thread title "[Brazelton] Loot Crates" I was hoping to hear about regulation that would stop games from having gambling mechanics that are tied to real world money in them.

So we're agreed @Dave messed up, got our hopes up undeservedly & should be punished for that. The only question now is how?
He's stuck with us. Isn't that punishment enough?
Post automatically merged:

I knew what you meant because I already saw an article about it, but yeah, the wrong loot crate bit the dust.

I had subbed for a few months years ago but quickly found the stuff that I did enjoy out of the boxes was vastly out weighed by the things I had 0 interest in. At that point, I was just accumulating more junk that I'd need to either pack up during the next move or give away anyway. Dropped the sub after that realization. It was also pretty expensive up here for a box filled 90% with stuff I didn't want.

Concept was interesting though and has spawned many other versions for many other hobbies.

I'm honestly surprised they're declaring bankruptcy. I thought they were making crazy amounts of money.

Like Far, I tried it for I think 6 months and it just wasn't worth the money. Out of the six months, I got maybe half a dozen legitimately interesting things (like Gremlins socks!). But a lot of it was crap I didn't care for or need. Even the t-shirts, I got rid of most of them after a closet purge.

But yeah, I thought they were doing gangbusters, financially, so this is kind of surprising.

Dave

Staff member
They have 260,000+ current subscribers. At $20 a month that's $5.2 million. And that's just the crates. They have other things that cost more if you want to pay for them. Personally, I loved Loot Crate(s) and couldn't wait to get them every month, but money issues made it one of the first things to go in a pinch.

Dave

Staff member
Yay for online cynical assholes! I loved loot crate(s). Guess I'm just a terrible person.

Yay for online cynical assholes! I loved loot crate(s). Guess I'm just a terrible person.
Yeah, that guy's a jerk. Acting like he's just found the one flaw with the concept about how not everything in the box is likely to appear to the person ordering it when everyone who's using the company already knows that & has already decided it's worth it anyway.

Plus midway through the video he says "That's just my opinion, please respect that. Just don't act like this thing is some almighty deity to you". When what he clearly means is "My opinion that this is shit deserves to be respected. Your opinion that it is not does not."

There were often neat things that I wanted to buy that I found on the internet, but the only way to get them to was to subscribe to an ongoing delivery service.

No thanks. I'm a one and done kinda guy ;)

I mean, you might be a terrible person, I don't know, but I don't think that would be the deciding factor.

I think you might be taking the video a little too seriously, though I found myself having much the same opinion. I was subbed for awhile until I realized that really I was just getting more clutter that I would probably throw away anyway, and anything I actually wanted I could easily buy online for cheaper.