looking for advice on a new monitor

I'm looking to add a 3rd monitor to my current set-up. considering something in the 32-34" inch range at 4K for future proofing. I was seriously considering the Samsung ud970 but cant find it for sale anywhere. The Acer Predator also looked nice. I'd also enjoy advice of 16:9/10 vs the new ultrawide 21:9 im really mixed up about what i should be considering.

What are you going to be using it for? 80% gaming, 15% internet/work/spreadsheet, 5% video for example.

What monitors will it be sitting next to?

These days, one of the first things to consider is which brand of graphics card you are using. So which is it? Nvidia or AMD?

--Patrick

Card is a ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING(Nvidia). usage will be 50% Video, 25% gaming, 25% general productivity. I already own a Samsung Syncmaster T260 27" 16:10 and a Samsung Syncmaster P2370 23" 16:9. The new monitor will take center stage from the 27" which i planned to move off to the side. no im not trying to game in 4k, I wont likely attempt to for a couple generations of GPU cycles.

Edit: and thank you to all of you for help and discussion. I am asking now so i have a baseline for sales in the coming weeks if something i want has a good price.

Last edited:
After about 12 minutes of searching (I'm busy right now!) the best contender I've seen so far is the Planar IX2850.
28in display, 3840x2160 @ 60Hz over DP 1.2 (or 30Hz over HDMI).
Only trouble is, while they used to sell for about $600 on Amazon, right now the ones for sale look like they're going for $1100 for some reason?

--Patrick

Im still heavily considering the 32" acer predator, i really want the samsung professional unit but they dont seem to be for sale ANYWHERE.

so now the CES happened I might have to hold off as there is some neat units coming 3rd quarter. -_-

There's always something new just around the corner.

I recommend the new Dell 8K monitor, so you can watch sixteen 1080p anime videos simultaneously with no lost pixels.

You'd make it through your backlog in no time.

One video review mentioned that it had a mode that supported two DisplayPort inputs for older graphics cards, each running half the display.

A single DisplayPort 1.4 port (1.4 standard finalized spring 2016) will also drive 8kp60 displays.

So you should be able to get it to work with many existing cards using the two cable mode, but as usual the best experience will be with a card that can run it natively. I suspect the newest cards will be fine. The gtx 1050 and above will drive it with a single DisplayPort cable, for instance, but not hdmi.

Of course the Dell display is slated to cost $5,000 so this is an academic discussion anyway...

you guys are a hoot, but seriously i just cant decide if i should buy now or wait for the next gen of monitors to hit.

I just got a new 23" because it's the biggest size I can fit on my desk. I need a new desk. :/

you guys are a hoot, but seriously i just cant decide if i should buy now or wait for the next gen of monitors to hit.
I'm pretty sure you could flip a coin and be happy with whatever outcome. The monitor that fits your needs is available now, and it'll only drop in price a little. You don't need to wait for a better monitor, 4K I well enough established and 8K is pretty far away, better to wait until the interfaces are more standard, which should be at least two years away before everything is settled and debugged.

So buy the best 4K display that meets your needs. You can wait but it's probably not going to be significantly better or cheaper if you wait.