[Question] Looking for a cheap bike

Hey, so I'm looking for a bike. Unfortunately, I know nothing about bikes. I'd like to get something fairly decent, but cheap. I know you get what you pay for, but I'd really prefer not to spend too much money on a bike, since I'm not planning on using it a lot. Mostly just for when I'm babysitting, and running the occasional errand that's too far to walk, but annoying to drive. I've checked Craigslist, but looking around at what's available in my region, I'd probably be better off buying new.

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting the Fuji Absolute 2.3, which is about $330.

I was also looking at the Nashbar AT2 at $300. Although from what I understand, mountain bikes don't make great road bikes. There are trails pretty nearby though, so having a bike that's capable to ride trails seems like it might be nice.

Also wondering if I can get the best of both worlds with something like this.

So, does anybody have any recommendations? Or opinions on whether it's a good idea to get a mountain bike for general riding?

Last edited:
It is a good idea to get the bike that matches what you want to do. Any bike will get you around, but road bikes are meant for higher speeds and a more aerodynamic posture, while mountain bikes (and cruisers) are meant for a more upright position. Knowing what you plan to do with it would be useful.

--Patrick

Bike goals:
- Keep up with 5 year old on a bike
- Run occasional errand 1-2 miles away
- Maybe explore nearby mountain biking trails/bike paths

Honestly you could buy a bike off the rack at Wal-Mart for that, if you're looking for cheap. ;)

Well like I said, cheap and decent. Maybe it's just biking snobbery, but seems like everything I've read online is to avoid big box store bikes if possible. I could get something cheap for ~$150, but if a ~$300 bike represents a significant upgrade in quality, I'd rather get that.

A mountain bike is fine for general riding. You'll keep up with kids with it, and it'll handle the random dirt trail better than a road bike. A cross bike would probably be a bit closer to what you're looking for, but a full on mountain bike wouldn't hurt.

I would go to a local bike shop and hop onto a couple different styles and see what feels best for you. You don't have to buy one there, just use them for a test ride.

One thing you'll want to keep in mind if you order online, you'll have to either assemble it yourself or bring it to a shop to have it assembled. You'd be looking at $50-100 just for that, so keep it in mind. Even if you do put it together yourself, you may need a bike tech to work out issues like shifting or adjusting your brakes correctly.

Nashbar has some good bikes, and keep an eye out for their 20% off sales. They have them quite a bit. Here's some decent ones.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_578124_-1___204686 - 20% off makes this a nice buy. 449 - 90 = 359.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_555436_-1___205045 - More of a cross bike with skinnier 700c wheels.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_552038_-1___204686 - The AT2 that you already had.

I'll throw one more out there, but it might not be what you'd like.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_576973_-1___204686 or
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_559086_-1___204735
They're single speed, so you need to make sure you're ok with that. Yes, you'll lose all of those nice gears. Yes, it's got a solid front fork so no pretty suspension up front. Here's why I'd recommend something like this. The derailleurs and fork you get with a sub $500 bike are pretty crappy. They're fine for most people, and they work for the most part. The derailleur won't be very smooth though, and shifting will be rough. The fork will be squishy and the rebound will be so slow going on mountain bike trails will be very hard. You would definitely be better off with a rigid fork. You'll also get more bike because you're not wasting money on meh parts.

Either way, for general riding any will do. The Diamondback axis looks like more of what you'd want. I ride a single speed cyclocross bike and don't miss the gears at all.

Thanks Shakey, that's very helpful. So regarding single speed, do you think it's okay going uphill? That would be my main concern, as some of the area around here is a bit on the steep side. I guess I could always walk it up if necessary.

I personally would not recommend a fixie in any sort of hilly area unless you are really into grueling lower-body fitness.
If you want something similar in style, you might look at something that has a 3-speed (or more) hub integrated into the rear wheel, at least give yourself that choice.

--Patrick

The ones I linked were freewheel single speeds, not fixies. I wouldn't recommend them either.

As far as hills go, you have to gauge it for yourself. If nothing else it'll force you to get in better shape... Having gears will make life a lot easier on hills, and in turn make your ride more enjoyable. Hills are definitely doable with single speeds, but it won't always be easy.

I just prefer the simplicity of single speeds. Less to maintain, and less to go wrong.

fade

Staff member
I'd recommend what they call a "hybrid" or a "commuter bike". It's similar to a mountain bike, but with a lighter frame and thinner wheels. It's also a step above box store bikes, but still pretty affordable. A good one will be under 500 easy, and will be a name brand like Trek or Canondale. Alternatively, you can try BikesDirect.com. They have a good reputation, but "off" brands. The off brands they sell are actually made by Trek, et al., but are 1-5 year old designs marketed under a different brand name, and they all have awesome components that would be worth more than the whole bike if you bought them locally.

I'd really recommend finding a good bike store, and find someone who isn't one of those snobby douches that unfortunately seem to be omnipresent in biking. Ask them about hybrids. A good bike comes in sizes, too, so they'll be able to fit you.

Last edited:
So I ended up getting a used bicycle from Craigslist after all, a 2013 Diamondback Insight 2. Looks to be in pretty good shape: rims look good, wheels look pretty true, brakes work okay. I don't know enough about gears to know if anything there needs work, but we'll see. Anyway, felt good riding it, here's hoping I feel the same way a couple weeks from now. Thanks for the advice guys :)

fade

Staff member
The ones designed to pull from the outside fade less, and are used on the cross bikes because they won't clog with mud like discs. Calipers are pretty much still the standard.

That's a nice bike. It has linear, the kind fade is talking about, not caliper. They'll be fine in the rain. You might want to look into getting new pads though.