Logical Increments

I've championed it as the end-all be-all Holy Grail of What Parts To Put Together And Not Gimp My PC Build for the past 3 or 4 years.

I don't say their builds are always the absolute 100% best or anything, but at least for getting a feel of what parts go together power-wise and to avoid bottlenecks, it's awesome.

But for heaven's sake, ignore the last two or three price levels. Or if you have that much money to burn, donate some to a good cause - I can send you the account number of a great charity that provides for Belgian owls. :whistling:

Dave

Staff member
I still prefer www.buildapc.com. One reason is it lets you pick everything, see all the prices from different sites, and you know that all the parts that show are compatible. The compatibility portion of it for me is huge.

I'd use the other site for a guide but Build a PC for the actual build. But I'm kinda biased as that's how I did it.

I still prefer www.buildapc.com. One reason is it lets you pick everything, see all the prices from different sites, and you know that all the parts that show are compatible. The compatibility portion of it for me is huge.

I'd use the other site for a guide but Build a PC for the actual build. But I'm kinda biased as that's how I did it.
That site does not seem to exist.

I won't build a PC until I've researched every component to death, but I've never used that site.
This is not to say they're not reputable or anything, they're just not on my list of usual resources.
By the look of things, my build philosophy falls somewhere between "superb" and "outstanding."
That site does not seem to exist.
I think he meant www.pcpartpicker.com instead.

--Patrick

I won't build a PC until I've researched every component to death, but I've never used that site.
This is not to say they're not reputable or anything, they're just not on my list of usual resources.
By the look of things, my build philosophy falls somewhere between "superb" and "outstanding."

--Patrick
I was thinking of budgeting around their "Excellent" range.

Exceptional and up look like they're for people for whom exceeding their original budget is merely an inconvenience.

--Patrick

If you're knowledgeable and up to date enough on all the parts, it's not terribly useful.

Hey, Sexington... I like the new profile pic.
Why thank you kindly. It was time for a change.
Yes. Very Fraseresque.
Hopefully that's not an insult.

--Patrick
I'm not sure to what it refers, but I won't be insulted anyway.
I've been out of the computer hardware game for a long time. I feel like I know nothing, and the research confuses me more than makes things clear. It's frustrating. If I do build a new one, I think I want to be rather lazy about it - this site seems to indulge that.
If you're knowledgeable and up to date enough on all the parts, it's not terribly useful.
I am neither knowledgeable nor up to date. :\

I am neither knowledgeable nor up to date. :\
My reply was refering to Patrick and why it might not be terribly useful for someone like him, while it is ueful for someone like you and me.

Use Logical Increments to get a basic idea of what components go together price/performancewise, so you don't end up with a CPU that's half as good as your CPU. Use pcpartpicker to make sure your choices all work together. Use tweakers or whatever price watch site you prefer (I think tomshardware also has a price watch?) to make sure you order everything from the best place.

For LI: be aware that within each level, the different options given for the same part aren't strictly ordered from worse to better, but from cheap to expensive, and that usually, they'll always try to include "different" options to accomodate opinions and taste - they'll list an AMD and an nVidia card for almost every level, unless there really isn't anything remotely equal. So within a given level, which part you pick might be up for debate, or opinion on brand ("I've never had issues with an AMD card!" said no-one ever ;) ), or whatever. Also, don't forget to mouse-over, the text often has a bit of info indicating why they picked that particular part instead of one cheaper/better/whatever, which may help guide your decision. And whatever you decide on, no doubt some guy, this guy and another guy will offer three different opinions on what part to replace/improve/change out. :p

My reply was refering to Patrick and why it might not be terribly useful for someone like him, while it is ueful for someone like you and me.
Oh, I know; I was just lamenting!
Yeah, sorry. PC part picker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll forgive you. THIS TIME
Oh, him.

I thought you meant the character.
That's what I thought/hoped, but
Nope.
There's no "I" in Fraser.

--Patrick
This.