[Movies] Logan - spoiler discussion

But they were all born in Mexico, so wouldn't that technically make them Mexican citizens? I honestly don't know citizenship requirements for other counties, so it's only a guess. But, whatever, semantics.
But on that subject, why is it Laura had an accent, while Rictor sounded straight up American?

GasBandit

Staff member
But they were all born in Mexico, so wouldn't that technically make them Mexican citizens? I honestly don't know citizenship requirements for other counties, so it's only a guess. But, whatever, semantics.
His assertion is that they technically weren't people, they were property, and property of an American corporation which just so happened to build them in Mexico.

Me, I say, she only habla taco so she's a Messican.

But on that subject, why is it Laura had an accent, while Rictor sounded straight up American?
Yeah, really. Rictor in the comic is Latino, the actor is Latino*, the character in the movie is raised in Mexico...but Laura is the only one with an accent?

(*Most likely. He has a common Latino last name, but could also be Filipino. I didn't see anything that confirmed it either way.)[DOUBLEPOST=1489618775,1489618578][/DOUBLEPOST]
His assertion is that they technically weren't people, they were property, and property of an American corporation which just so happened to build them in Mexico.

I know, but since they had to be gestated in a surrogate, I'd say they still qualify as people, albeit enslaved.. You could argue x-24 could be seen solely as property. Evil, evil property.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know, but since they had to be gestated in a surrogate, I'd say they still qualify as people, albeit enslaved.. You could argue x-24 could be seen solely as property. Evil, evil property.
I'm not sure X-24 could really be classified as evil. He was pretty much devoid of decision making ability. He was as much a victim of Alkali as the kids, or Logan for that matter. As they said, a weapon with no soul.

I'm not sure X-24 could really be classified as evil. He was pretty much devoid of decision making ability. He was as much a victim of Alkali as the kids, or Logan for that matter. As they said, a weapon with no soul.
Well, his purpose and creation was for evil, even if he doesn't really get a say in it. If he can be categorized as property, he wasn't made to give hugs.

...or maybe he was. What do I know? :p

Neither was my shotgun, but that doesn't make it inherently evil.
Sorry, I should have written "the intent of his purpose and creation was for evil", referring to his creators not making him for hugs, not his own state-of-mind. But since you mention it

"I'm the best there is at what I hug."
Aww, now I want one!

But they were all born in Mexico, so wouldn't that technically make them Mexican citizens?
Silly rabbit, assuming people still have rights under a dystopian corporate hellscape...[DOUBLEPOST=1489654727,1489654508][/DOUBLEPOST]
That, and i was making a "Made in Mexico" joke.

Pretty sure she spoke some English too...

Well, you can always tell yourself that their accents/language was based on their respective handlers, so maybe Ric got raised mostly by american staff.