[Movies] Logan - spoiler discussion

Since Logan is a pretty powerful film (or at least I thought so) I imagine people will want to talk about it, and want to do so without having to do spoilers in the movie thread.

So let's talk about it here.

If you haven't seen the movie, it's your own damn fault for you to be in this thread. This thread isn't like the comics. In this thread, people are spoiled.

So, what did everyone think?

THE X! THE FUCKING X! MY HEART IS NOW MELTED GOO!
Fuck you, I'm not crying, you're crying!

Also, when the movie ended at my theater, it was dead silent, not a single person moved as the credits rolled. Some might have been waiting for an after credit scene, but most, myself included, just needed a minute to recover.

Saw it last night. Was good. I approve.

Talked it out with a friend who saw it, and we agreed on one thing about the movie: it was FAR more about the emotion than the plot itself. That's usually a good sign for a movie, as you give a damn about what happens to the characters. And it works out that way in the end.

I could nitpick about a number of plotholes, and/or unfortunate things that happen due to the decisions of the characters, but I'm OK not bringing them up right now. Overall, good movie, and I enjoyed it. Not much more to say than that.

I got to see this last night and .....it's still sticking with me. So much on my brain!

Like other people have said, the emotions in this were even more important than the super-heroics. It was almost easy to forget this is a "comic book movie". For one thing, Patrick Stewart's performance broke me. Watching him, both shrunken by time (and weight loss), but not fully able to control his own mind, was like reliving both my grandmothers' deterioration until their recent passing, especially since one had dementia. The anger, the frustration, the helplessness was palpable. Watch Logan having to lift him into cars and bed was like watching my father having to care for his mom all over again. Now, obviously, neither of my grandmothers had psychic abilities, but everything else was so damn real it was heart-wrenching. I love how things like this, and Logan's own battle with his illness, were given as much importance as their mutant powers. I know the movie is called Logan, but I hope he gets some awards for his performance.

Back in 2000, Hugh Jackman is what made me like Wolverine, after over a decade of being annoyed with the character in the comics and cartoon. (He just always came across as an over-used, over-hyped jerk to me.) He really knocked it out of the park for this last time. You could feel his exhaustion: as a mutant, as a care-giver, as a survivor.

One of the strengths of this movie is they don't explain much. There was no soliloquies on what really happened in Westchester, what happened to the other X-Men, who the project X-23 are. It removed that usual comic movie trope and made everything seem more real. I know they said they had more explanations scripted, but I'm kinda glad they didn't include them. I know there was also supposed to be a minor Sabretooth plotline, which might explain the physical appearance of X-24. (In my mind, they used some of Sabretooth's DNA as well, which would add to the "soulless killing machine" they wanted to create.)

The only thing that took me out of the movie was Laura/X-23; not because of her performance, but she is a dead-ringer for my cousin when she was younger. My cousin is also 1/4 Peruvian and speaks Spanish, so that didn't help, either. But my cousin also isn't an unhinged killing machine...that I know of. :D I want to say this is just a weird coincidence, but her father works in Hollywood and it would not be the first time someone in our family served as a model/inspiration for tv or film.

re: the movie not explaining things, I loved this. It's so rare that a movie actually assumes its audience to be intelligent. They never spell out what happened to the mutants, or Manchester, because they don't need to. There's enough there to piece together what happened if you want, but it's not relevant to the story. This is a film about LOGAN, and while there are other storylines going on in the background, we only learn about them as they intersect with Logan.

And yes, Xavier broke my heart. One of the most powerful mutants in the world, always striving to make the world a better place, now a frail old man channeling commercials and not knowing where he is half the time. Patrick Stewart's performance was brilliant, and while I've seen people criticize some of the things he says as "not how Charles Xavier would act" I think maybe they've never had to deal with someone with a degenerative brain disease. His death was so sudden, brutal, and inglorious that it caught me off guard. The man who saved the world countless times over died in a field, thinking about a boat.

And then the funeral. Logan forced to bury his mentor in an unmarked grave in a forest. "There's water..." you could feel the pain in his voice, how helpless and grieved he felt, and how he wished he could give anything else to the moment, but the best he could come up with was burying him near a lake.

Slightly off-topic, but did anyone else get a different Deadpool teaser than the one they released online? I noticed mine was missing the "Laird/costume designer" joke (which wasn't that funny anyway), but took out the Hugh Jack imitation (which to me was the funniest part) for Deadpool to wax philosophical about the cherries in Cherry Garcia.

Slightly off-topic, but did anyone else get a different Deadpool teaser than the one they released online? I noticed mine was missing the "Laird/costume designer" joke (which wasn't that funny anyway), but took out the Hugh Jack imitation (which to me was the funniest part) for Deadpool to wax philosophical about the cherries in Cherry Garcia.
Yes, they were different.

GasBandit

Staff member
Me too.

What a great movie! Seriously, I really enjoyed it.

I didn't cry but I did feel emotional, the scene where he's godsmacked that Laura can speak and then she goes all spanish on him and literally after 5 seconds he's screaming SHUT THE FUCK UP, was literally the best thing ever.

The Wolverine vs X-24 (1st fight was niiiiiice)

There's so many symbolic things in the movie that stand out to me, one of them seeing him use a gun on the evil professor, considering he fucking hates using guns.

I got to see this last night and .....it's still sticking with me. So much on my brain!

Like other people have said, the emotions in this were even more important than the super-heroics. It was almost easy to forget this is a "comic book movie". For one thing, Patrick Stewart's performance broke me. Watching him, both shrunken by time (and weight loss), but not fully able to control his own mind, was like reliving both my grandmothers' deterioration until their recent passing, especially since one had dementia. The anger, the frustration, the helplessness was palpable. Watch Logan having to lift him into cars and bed was like watching my father having to care for his mom all over again. Now, obviously, neither of my grandmothers had psychic abilities, but everything else was so damn real it was heart-wrenching. I love how things like this, and Logan's own battle with his illness, were given as much importance as their mutant powers. I know the movie is called Logan, but I hope he gets some awards for his performance.

Back in 2000, Hugh Jackman is what made me like Wolverine, after over a decade of being annoyed with the character in the comics and cartoon. (He just always came across as an over-used, over-hyped jerk to me.) He really knocked it out of the park for this last time. You could feel his exhaustion: as a mutant, as a care-giver, as a survivor.

One of the strengths of this movie is they don't explain much. There was no soliloquies on what really happened in Westchester, what happened to the other X-Men, who the project X-23 are. It removed that usual comic movie trope and made everything seem more real. I know they said they had more explanations scripted, but I'm kinda glad they didn't include them. I know there was also supposed to be a minor Sabretooth plotline, which might explain the physical appearance of X-24. (In my mind, they used some of Sabretooth's DNA as well, which would add to the "soulless killing machine" they wanted to create.)
My issue with The Wolverine was that it was a decent movie, very decent movie, and then it remembered it was a superhero film occasionally and there's a snake lady and a big dumb metal robot. I understand that they are from the comics and people would have a bitchfest if they weren't there but I think it ultimately suffered for them.

On the other hand, while sparingly used in this, things like the kids powers were shown in as realistic a way as possible. Actually showing the consequences of these abilities being used on someone helped to ground the movie further for me despite them being fantastical. I'm not champing at the bit for gore, though well done, but showing the effects of the powers instead of a light show and then someone falls of screen never to be seen again feels gimmicky. On the other hand, seeing what happens to Donald because of the kids, as well as his men, the way it was done I felt didn't cheapen the movie like it did with the more comic booky elements in The Wolverine.

That said, as you mentioned, not explaining exactly what happened in Westchester and the other vague details hinted at but left open absolutely added to this feeling as well. I don't need everything spelled out to enjoy a film or the universe you've created. Allowing me to wonder keeps me more engaged ultimately. Fury Road was similar in that on it's surface you could watch and be totally drawn in, while at the same time, so much was left unexplained but obviously fleshed out. It does a lot to help materialize a world in my head by NOT over explaining it oddly.

I realize this is partially a by product of the fact that this had a harsher rating but I hope at least some of this comes through in future super hero movies. I enjoy campy fun goofy stuff, Guardians of the Galaxy is my jam and I still have the poster up today, but it was so nice to have a great movie first and a wonderfully done comic book movie second.

I also dunno if this makes sense, I'm super tired and rambling lol.

Last edited:
snake lady and a big dumb metal robot. I understand that they are from the comics
Except that that's not how they are in the comics, at all.

I'm not even sure the longest lasting Viper is even a mutant, and Harada is just a mutant in silver samurai armour that can make his blade really sharp.

My issue with The Wolverine was that it was a decent movie, very decent movie, and then it remembered it was a superhero film occasionally and there's a snake lady and a big dumb metal robot. I understand that they are from the comics and people would have a bitchfest if they weren't there but I think it ultimately suffered for them.

On the other hand, while sparingly used in this, things like the kids powers were shown in as realistic a way as possible. Actually showing the consequences of these abilities being used on someone helped to ground the movie further for me despite them being fantastical. I'm not champing at the bit for gore, though well done, but showing the effects of the powers instead of a light show and then someone falls of screen never to be seen again feels gimmicky. On the other hand, seeing what happens to Donald because of the kids, as well as his men, the way it was done I felt didn't cheapen the movie like it did with the more comic booky elements in The Wolverine.

That said, as you mentioned, not explaining exactly what happened in Westchester and the other vague details hinted at but left open absolutely added to this feeling as well. I don't need everything spelled out to enjoy a film or the universe you've created. Allowing me to wonder keeps me more engaged ultimately. Fury Road was similar in that on it's surface you could watch and be totally drawn in, while at the same time, so much was left unexplained but obviously fleshed out. It does a lot to help materialize a world in my head by NOT over explaining it oddly.

I realize this is partially a by product of the fact that this had a harsher rating but I hope at least some of this comes through in future super hero movies. I enjoy campy fun goofy stuff, Guardians of the Galaxy is my jam and I still have the poster up today, but it was so nice to have a great movie first and a wonderfully done comic book movie second.

I also dunno if this makes sense, I'm super tired and rambling lol.
I know your tired, and you're comparing events between The Wolverine and Logan, but who's Donald? I'm slightly confused when I hit that part.

I swear they only mention his name once through the whole movie. Mean scientist says it to Caliban when talking about his information extraction methods. I suppose it's on the business card he hands Logan that you see for half a second near the beginning as well.

Last edited:
And speaking of identifying characters, has anyone said whether the other X-23 kids were specific mutants? I mean, Rictor is obvious, and I'm guessing Robert (who I swear they call Bobby at one point) would be Sunspot, but anyone else?

I swear they only mention his name once through the whole movie. Mean scientist says it to Caliban when talking about his information extraction methods. I suppose it's on the business card he hands Logan that you see for half a second near the beginning as well.
Pretty sure he says his name some time at the beginning, i recall going "Oh, it's Donald Pierce, but he's only got the arm? I hope they replace more after Wolvie or X23 cuts him up!" pretty early in the film.

Reactions: Far
You know, I'm usually the first one to criticize the trend of comic movies having forgettable or not very developed villains, but I can't for this movie, because I feel like it fits very well for the story they're telling. Typically the villain is going to be some sort of antithesis of the main character, have some personal connection, have some philosophical opposite stance, or whatever, but not here. Pierce was perfectly fine as a believable and threatening antagonist, and he even had some charm and swagger, but he doesn't need anything more than that. The reavers are just yet another band of assholes in a long line of assholes that Logan has had to deal with, and that's very fitting for the story.

And speaking of identifying characters, has anyone said whether the other X-23 kids were specific mutants? I mean, Rictor is obvious, and I'm guessing Robert (who I swear they call Bobby at one point) would be Sunspot, but anyone else?
The fire kid might have been Rusty Collins.

I finally got to see the movie over the weekend and I absolutely loved it. I won't lie, I cried multiple times throughout the movie and am dying to go watch it again when I can. I really hope they leave this as the swan song to the current line of X-men movies

I finally got to see the movie over the weekend and I absolutely loved it. I won't lie, I cried multiple times throughout the movie and am dying to go watch it again when I can. I really hope they leave this as the swan song to the current line of X-men movies
Or at least Wolverine's story.

best damn super hero movie. Look at what Deadpool is ushering in.

Is anyone else noticing the firefly stuff all over the place? ie Jaynes hat, the firefly poster in Deadpool teaser.

Is there more verse on the way?

X-men: New Mutants

Straight up. Also as Hugh Jackman said he'd reprise the role if it was in the MCU, maybe if Fox gets their damn heads out of their asses and allow a cross-over that could happen! X-MEN VS AVENGERS!

Nice movie, but it wasn't the best comic book movie, IMO. It was a bit overlong; could have been about 30 minutes shorter. I liked the girl. Bad dialogue for child actors is an easy way to ruin a good movie. They handled it well - mute. I am glad the other kids had a smaller part. Stewart was amazing, as always. I liked most of the other characters too.

Warning - contentious opinion ahead:

I unlike most folks have not cared for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Nothing against him as an actor. I just don't like the character. He was closer to what I've imagined as Wolverine in Apocalypse and in Logan (he and the character were pretty great here). But, it feels a bit too little too late. He needed a reboot a long time ago. Same goes for Magneto. His character is so rich and fantastic. They've never gotten it right.

Pretty sure all the kids were American Property™ (Made in Mexico).
But they were all born in Mexico, so wouldn't that technically make them Mexican citizens? I honestly don't know citizenship requirements for other counties, so it's only a guess. But, whatever, semantics.