[News] Loaded gun found on Disney World ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Disneyland in Cali last summer and I surprisingly felt safe there even knowing that Cali is a gun free zone (except for the criminals of course). If I went again (at least to the Cali one, I dunno, never been to Florida one) I think it would be reasonable that I would feel safe enough to be unarmed there again.

*grabs the thread steering wheel*
*YANK*

Which brings us back to the original question. What brings one to such a point where they feel their safety is so compromised they must bring a gun onto a child's ride at Disney World? What were the life choices this man made that led him to this sorry state?
Guaranteed it wasn't so much a "I feel unsafe at Disney World" and moreso of a "I HAVE A GUN! IM A FUCKING BAD-ASS!"

Err, last time I was at Disney World Florida, there were checkpoints at the entrance. The specifically had signs saying you weren't allowed to bring in guns and that that was what they were searching for. It was 3 years ago, mind.

That aside - my original point wasn't "you should be able to bring a gun" or anything liek it - heaven knows I'm opposed to free weapons for everyone (except in C&C Generals - "AK-47s for EVERYONE!" remains one of my favourites).
My point was that, for someone like me, to whom "I'm carrying a concealed weapon in public for my own safety, because you can't trust [fill in the blanks]" is ridiculous anyway, the step to "Yes, even in Disney World" seems relatively small.

Err, last time I was at Disney World Florida, there were checkpoints at the entrance. The specifically had signs saying you weren't allowed to bring in guns and that that was what they were searching for. It was 3 years ago, mind.

That aside - my original point wasn't "you should be able to bring a gun" or anything liek it - heaven knows I'm opposed to free weapons for everyone (except in C&C Generals - "AK-47s for EVERYONE!" remains one of my favourites).
My point was that, for someone like me, to whom "I'm carrying a concealed weapon in public for my own safety, because you can't trust [fill in the blanks]" is ridiculous anyway, the step to "Yes, even in Disney World" seems relatively small.
I don't think there is any question that the guy clearly knew that he wasn't allowed to bring his gun into Disney World. He just didn't fucking care. In fact, he made damn sure that he wasn't seen with it while going through security and sure as hell didn't mention it. He knew it would get taken away if he mentioned it. We have guests who do the same thing all the time, but with pets. Sure we have a no pets policy, but if they bring it up to the room no one will be the wiser. And if they are caught with it they can claim "Oh we didn't know.". Of course you did. Otherwise you would have asked "Hey. Is it okay if I do this, because to assume it's okay considering the circumstances would be stupid."

Which brings us back to the original question. What brings one to such a point where they feel their safety is so compromised they must bring a gun onto a child's ride at Disney World? What were the life choices this man made that led him to this sorry state?
I don't think it's an issue of feeling particularly unsafe at any time. This person obviously conceal carries all the time, everywhere, even where prohibited. Why would he give Disney Land a free pass, or change his behavior?

Trying to conflate taking a gun on a child's ride with a particular trauma that would render him unable to ride it without a gun is silly.

Further, he doesn't have to feel unsafe in particular to conceal carry anyway. "safety" is a continuum - there are few times when any human feels perfectly safe, except,perhaps, as a child. Most people feel safe enough most of the time, and they avoid situations where they don't feel safe. Some people increase their self-sufficiency in terms of safety by taking classes to improve their self defense, moving to locations they believe are safer, or changing their routines and behavior (such as traveling with friends).

Having a gun is merely an extension of that.

While a gun is arguably more deadly, particularly at a distance, would you be worried if someone took their concealed black belt martial arts ability on a disney world ride?

Would you be thinking, "What brings one to such a point where they feel their safety is so compromised they must bring their martial art onto a child's ride at Disney World?" What if they carried a 3" steel rod on their keychain as well, multiplying their already deadly ability? Would you feel particularly unsafe if you were riding on the same ride as a dozen members of a martial arts club?

Status
Not open for further replies.