[Question] Live Recording/streaming setup for action shots in dark environments

Hey all. As the situation in Portland and around the state continues to remain in constant flux, one of the newest tactics we're seeing the State Patrol employ is to completely cut the main body of streamers/press off from the main body of protesters, so they can then attack the protesters without any camera coverage. What I'm looking for is a small camera with low-light capability (I can pair it with a nice flashlight for added light, if need be), that can be securely fashioned to one's helmet or shoulder pads, and record high-quality video. If I can connect it to a half-way decent burner phone and use that to stream out, even better.

Now, you may say, but @Gared, that's exactly what a GoPro was made for - in which case, they suck at their main purpose. But I don't really think they were intended for low-light usage. All of the streamers using GoPro cameras hate them. What I'm looking for is something more along the lines of a trail camera that can spot individual ticks on a deer at night at 10 paces. I'm not so terribly concerned about wide-angle filming, either. It's actually better for me if the viewpoint is a little concentrated - so I don't have to worry about broadcasting anyone's faces. Audio pickup, however, is important. Need to be able to hear the LRAD instructions (or the people near me screaming to cover them up, at least). It would also be great if it were low profile, so the cops couldn't necessarily see it in the dark, because I don't fancy getting shot in the shoulder with a tear gas canister as they try to disable my cam. And yeah, they've been doing that to streamers and the press. Targeting their cameras with grenades, even when they're attached to the person's body. And two nights ago they shot a member of the press in the hand with impact munitions because he was taking photos of a spent grenade. It was the same member of the press that they'd told the day before that it was illegal for press members to view the munitions they were shooting, and they would be shot if they tried, but then they couldn't cite which law made it illegal because "it's illegal for police to cite laws to people."

The absolute gold standard has got to be something from x20.org, but they look like they will cost many k’s of dollars 1) to acquire, and 2) to replace if you get shot at.

A quick Internet search suggests the Panasonic LUMIX S1, but you’re still probably talking $3k to start for one of those, which doesn’t solve problems 1&2.

Otherwise I’m not sure where else you could go for good nighttime “action” video because everyone just seems to be saying, “Get a Hero8.”

—Patrick

I'm thinking I might be better off making myself a cell phone mount, working with my plate carrier or a bandoleer of some sort, just to accept a well protected but cheap phone with a decent camera, and skip the separate camera/light/streaming processor issue altogether. I'm not concerned about being able to display press-level video streams, I'm worried about being able to get arrestee's names and cover their arrests so if the press get separated we don't have any of the arrests like that medic went through without camera coverage.

Have you considered a body camera? Like the kind police totally legitimately use 100% of the time without fail and never with sudden malfunction?

I think they have some with WiFi and even 4g capabilities for live streaming. Otherwise the normal ones aren't crazy expensive and might be what you're looking for.

Have you considered a body camera? Like the kind police totally legitimately use 100% of the time without fail and never with sudden malfunction?

I think they have some with WiFi and even 4g capabilities for live streaming. Otherwise the normal ones aren't crazy expensive and might be what you're looking for.
Would you believe that I hadn't considered that?

Would you believe that I hadn't considered that?
I also wanted to mark it “I get that reference,” but “BWAHAHA” won out.

EDIT for @phil - I gave his post the “Funny” (i.e. “BWAHAHA”) rating, but I was also considering giving it the Cap’s shield ”I get that reference” rating for it practically being an Agent 86 quote.

--Patrick

Last edited: