[Brazelton] Little Britain

Comedy from 2000 that deliberately flaunted stereotypes and made fun of people for believing them, now scrapped everywhere and removed from all streaming services for being too racist.

Though, to be fair, I agree -especially some scenes. I actually think the gay scenes are worse than the black scenes, but that's a matter of taste I guess. American sensibilities go much further in one than the other,

It brings up a good discussion regarding racism in media and the removal or even banning of media that contain it, even if at the time of said media it was a cultural norm.

We're really seeing a purging of a LOT of content in some areas, Gone with e Wind is now off streaming too for example.
Like with Song of the South and such, I really think we need to keep these things available, possibly 18+, with pancartes/warnings in place.
I mean, I can freely see Triumph des Willens (which is LITERALLY Nazi propaganda - and also a very well done cinematographic piece), but a movie that talks about white life in the South and wipes black oppression and slavery under the mat? Ah, no.
I'm not saying we should be perfectly OK with ignoring black suffering in the South, definitely not, btw. And it's been so long since I've seen Gone with the Wind I honestly don't remember how bad it is, so maybe it really is that bad. But starting to remove a lot of older media because it doesn't reflect our sensibilities...Ehhhh. Can we still watch Baywatch or is that too sexist? Because, I mean, the whole thing is one big celebration of the Male Gaze.

Every film, show, book, whatever is a product of the times. Even a movie like Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, where wrongful racial profiling is the primary joke of the film, would be very difficult to green-light right now. I say keep movies relevant and sensitive to the current culture. But continue to revisit old movies, with the understanding that was the culture THEN. Like you said, be mindful what you expose your kids to, but if you feel they are ready for older films with questionable stereotypes, make sure they can understand that it's wrong now and it was wrong then too, but at the time people didn't acknowledge that.

We're really seeing a purging of a LOT of content in some areas, Gone with e Wind is now off streaming too for example.
Like with Song of the South and such, I really think we need to keep these things available, possibly 18+, with pancartes/warnings in place.
I mean, I can freely see Triumph des Willens (which is LITERALLY Nazi propaganda - and also a very well done cinematographic piece), but a movie that talks about white life in the South and wipes black oppression and slavery under the mat? Ah, no.
I'm not saying we should be perfectly OK with ignoring black suffering in the South, definitely not, btw. And it's been so long since I've seen Gone with the Wind I honestly don't remember how bad it is, so maybe it really is that bad. But starting to remove a lot of older media because it doesn't reflect our sensibilities...Ehhhh. Can we still watch Baywatch or is that too sexist? Because, I mean, the whole thing is one big celebration of the Male Gaze.
To be fair, Gone With the Wind is only temporary. They intend on rereleasing it with a note at the beginning about historical context. Similar to Disney's message at the beginning of some of their older shorts.

Not to mention just one month ago there was no place to stream Gone With the Wind.

Almost like ideas are suppressed by copyright far more than "PC police."

Comedy from 2000 that deliberately flaunted stereotypes and made fun of people for believing them, now scrapped everywhere and removed from all streaming services for being too racist.
Well, I hope that if they're going to outright scrap it, that also means they won't be able to sue anyone for sharing it since they technically would no longer be "competing" against legitimate sales/streams.
I know that's not how it's probably going to work, but that's what I want to happen.

--Patrick