Let's talk about all the hate on millennials

GasBandit

Staff member
Strict interpretation:
You're a millennial if you don't remember life before the internet.

Loose interpretation:
You're a millennial if you don't remember life before the NES.

Strict interpretation:
You're a millennial if you don't remember life before the internet.

Loose interpretation:
You're a millennial if you don't remember life before the NES.
This... basically fits, I think. The cultural crossover is significant enough to include both views.

I remember when I was introduced to the Internet. My Dad upgraded our old PC compatible running MS-DOS with an IBM Aptiva. It had a CD-ROM drive, a 28k modem, and ran Windows 95.

My whole world changed.

I remember when I was introduced to the Internet. My Dad upgraded our old PC compatible running MS-DOS with an IBM Aptiva. It had a CD-ROM drive, a 28k modem, and ran Windows 95.

My whole world changed.
Millenials don't know what QEMM was. :p

Take it from a middle school teacher:

Young people are obnoxious, no matter the generation. I think that's what really fuels most of this. It sounds similar to the crap people used to give Gen X before Gen X finished growing up.

Take it from a middle school teacher:

Young people are obnoxious, no matter the generation. I think that's what really fuels most of this. It sounds similar to the crap people used to give Gen X before Gen X finished growing up.
I remember a lot of the Gen X coverage being the Greatest Generation and the Boomers lamenting just how screwed over we were as a generation. Yes, there was a lot of 20 somethings suck, but it was not the full coverage and blame that the Millennials get.

I have some friends that LOVE bitching about this generation. I slip in a jab from time to time like, "I know you don't like your kid, but you raised him."

Frankly - and this might also be caused by a regional divide - I see a lot more boomer hate. Everyone 40 and under is pretty much realizing the generation retiring now (and retired over the past 10 years, especially during the boom....People were retiring with full benefits at 48! 48! With a life expectancy of 82!) has royally screwed everyone coming after them, with an unsustainable business model, unsustainable economic model, and an unsustainable sociological model.

Gegh, that just dredged up a whole lot of bad memories. What's next, Stacker? QDOS? DOS 5.0 shell?!
I had a VIC-20 as my first computer. It was slightly older than I was! I'm early millenial I guess, as I graduated in 2000, but was way ahead of the curve with computers.

My whole world changed.
I remember my world changing when we went from 2400-baud to 14.4k. That was AMAZING. Then 33.6k was pretty nice. Oddly never had a 56k modem, unless it was free sometime later (some memory is nagging at me).

Then we were in the pilot program for Cable Modems in my city because my Dad worked in a different division of the Cable Company (business Fibre division). 10Mbps before the public had it. THAT was mind-blowing. 1994(ish). We could saturate multiple different websites at once with that kind of bandwidth.

Good times.

Dave

Staff member
When email first started I didn't know you could send out form letters to massive amounts of people. I got an email from one of my famous artists about an upcoming concert and I was so excited that the guy sent me a personal message. I even may have bragged about it.

When email first started I didn't know you could send out form letters to massive amounts of people. I got an email from one of my famous artists about an upcoming concert and I was so excited that the guy sent me a personal message. I even may have bragged about it.
My brother used to send jokes to hundreds of people at a time in the "To:" slot. At least Facebook cut down on that crap.

Cover of National Geographic "millenials discover outdoors."

The month before, it was about treatments to end blindness. I'm sure these were equal subjects of discussion, each equally rooted in scientific study and application.

Is that because millenials are lazy, or because the job market is brutal?
The young men in article all seem to indicate that they'd rather be doing something more meaningful, but aren't able to find the opportunity to do so... which basically means the real issue is the job market. It's actually a perfectly reasonable reaction to the current job market: if you can't find a way to meaningfully participate, then don't participate period. And really, they only need to hold out a few more years for the boomers to start retiring for health reasons...

Seriously? "Give me everything I want now, without me having to work for it, or I'm going to sit at home like a fucking lump and mooch off my parents!" seems reasonable to you?

These assholes need to suck it up and either go to school or work their asses off to get ahead. Sitting at home, goofing off is not some noble alternative. It's the lazy/cowardly choice.

If you're playing video games after a long day of job searching, job training, college classes, or hard work, then by all means play video games. But if you're not doing those things, don't try to hide behind the economy.

Seriously? "Give me everything I want now, without me having to work for it, or I'm going to sit at home like a fucking lump and mooch off my parents!" seems reasonable to you?

These assholes need to suck it up and either go to school or work their asses off to get ahead. Sitting at home, goofing off is not some noble alternative. It's the lazy/cowardly choice.

If you're playing video games after a long day of job searching, job training, college classes, or hard work, then by all means play video games. But if you're not doing those things, don't try to hide behind the economy.
It's not just millennials; this was exactly my ex. He'd play games at home all day while his mom and cousin would job hunt for him and send out his resume. He refused to take any minimum wage positions because, even though he had never held a job, he insisted he'd be "bored". And he didn't have a bad economy to blame, either.

And he wondered why I left.

Ornithologists have observed eagles coaxing, even taunting, their young from the nest, rather than just giving them a shove. When the fledgling eagle is almost ready to fly, parents have been observed to swoop by the nest with a fresh kill. Instead of landing in the nest as usual to share the meal, the parent lands near the nest and eats in plain view of its squawking, hungry teenager. This behavior continues until the fledgling is hungry enough to venture out of the nest, at which point the parent will share its food.
http://www.newhavenrtc.com/emptying-the-nest/

Is that because millenials are lazy, or because the job market is brutal?
Because (paraphrasing from the article) playing a game leads to a feeling of accomplishment within/just after a few hours' play. A job can go on for days and there is no similar guarantee of satisfaction in that time, nor even at all.
Oh, @AshburnerX already said that.

--Patrick