Lets get morbid: Wills, bucket lists and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andromache

Right. So many here are young, hale and hearty/healthy, for the most part, but given that things can gone down hill health wise, do you have a will? a bucket list? no no, not the movie, just the concept. of x things to do before you die.

No to both. I don't really own anything or have anything that i'd need done if I were to die right now, so I don't have a will.

I can't really think of anything that I just *have* to do before I die. Sure, I'd like to see more of the world, but I think if I knew I would die in a week I wouldn't hop the next flight to Europe.

C

Chazwozel

I AM IMMORTAL I HAVE INSIDE ME BLOOD OF KINGS I HAVE NO RIVAL NO MAN CAN BE MY EQUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LET THE INFLUX OF CRONE'S GARBAGE THREADS BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to be put in the ground, I really don't want there to be a funeral. I want to go to science, weird terrifying experimentation, organ donor, or vaporized.

I've never even thought about this, but now that I am purchasing a home, maybe I need to start thinking. I don't want to pull the "I'm only 25" card, but you never know when it will happen. Right now my mom is my only beneficiary on my health insurance...

As for a bukkit list, I would like to lose weight before I die. I wanna be hot and wear cute lingerie, but most of all, feel confident. And maybe take a burlesque class or two!

I don't have a will, I do have a living will asking to be allowed to die if I'm in a persistive vegitative state with no reasonable expectation of recovery.

Things I'd like to experience before I die in the order that I think of them:

I'd like to get married. I'd like to become a father. I'd like to drive a supercar, like a Lamborghini Mercielago or Aston-Martin V12 Vanquish. I'd like to visit parts of Europe, particularly Germany, Switzerland, and Romania. I'd like to go shooting with a Barrett rifle. I'd like to see a book I've written on the NYT bestseller list. I'd like to watch a meteor shower with someone I loved.

Mostly, I'd just like to live a life that so that when I'm gone, I'll be missed.

H

Hibou

Bucket List

Travel:
I would like to visit my former roommate who now lives in South Korea.
I would like to see the Acropolis, specifically the Portico of the Maidens.
I would love to see Florence and Venice.
I want to see the Hermitage in St Petersburg, Russia
I want to visit the Cavern Club and Abbey Road Studios in England.

Life Goals:
I want to pay off the rest of my student loans.
Live in a house i own free and clear
Get better at my guitar
Put together a gallery show of my photography

As a worker in a dangerous profession, I have a will. My brothers and mother are currently my beneficiaries and split everything evenly.

I want no dignity in death though, they could parade my corpse around dragged behind a car if they wanted.

North_Ranger

Staff member
No will, no bucket list. Though I have considered making a document of all my Internet friend groups so the person carrying out my will can let them know I've cast off this mortal coil.

Hmmm, I haven't considered my death in terms of my digital life. I don't know what I'd want someone to do if I died to my accounts. I play an online game where I'm an admiral in my alliance, so I'd kind of want them to know why I'm no longer active I suppose.

And I guess the quickest way to let people know I kicked it would be to update my facebook. I mean, that would let all my friends who I'd want to let know that I died know all at once. I just wonder if people would think it's real or not.

I don't know if I would want my FB deleted after a time or maybe left up so people could look at it if they wanted to or just as some kind of cheap way to be remembered.

They can delete the Twitter though, that much I know.

I do have some things I'd like to go to certain persons, but with my history of mental illness, I kinda feel like writing down what I want to go to them might be interpreted as a prelude to a suicide attempt (I've never tried it, but you know how people are when they know something isn't right with you...) and I really don't want to have to justify it's existence to people who clearly wouldn't understand anyways. Writing it down and not telling anyone about it would be worthless as well, as then no one would know where to look for the note!

Every so often I'll declare that 'X' is something I want to do before I die. Sometimes I remember them, sometimes I don't. A few that I do remember are:

Build a sandcastle in Dubai
See a Blue Man Group show
See a Wrestling Match live (I don't even like wrestling)
Sit in $300 seats at the Met

But that is a very very short version of the list.

Blue Man Group does a damn good show live. Saw them years ago at Area 2 with Ash, busta rhymes David Bowie, and Moby.

No to both. No will since I don't have a significant other, so all my stuff will go to my parents by default. And while there are plenty of things I'd like to see around the world or do at some point, I don't keep a list of it, nor would I try to cram a whole life into a short time because I'd be dieing. I'd probably just spend a lot of time with people close to me instead.

I always thought that if I die right now, my wife and daughter will love me forever and she is going to grow up with a idealized version of me instead the antisocial and bitter person that I am.

Morbid enough?

A

Andromache

::words::
Shhhh my pretty boy. Other people can have attention too. You don't have to have it all. It's ok. We aren't going to like/dislike/loathe/love you any less.[/QUOTE]

i think I love you.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

I always thought that if I die right now, my wife and daughter will love me forever and she is going to grow up with a idealized version of me instead the antisocial and bitter person that I am.

Morbid enough?
sure, but do you have a will/ bucket list?

No will yet... I really should set one up, but I know my wife. Even if all I left her was a request to make sure that some of my death benefits go to my parents, she'd take care of them. She's just that kind of woman.

She's also the sensible one with money, and devoted to our unborn daughter already, so I know she'd set up a college fund of some kind for her.

As for a bucket list, off the top of my head I can think of a few

Hike the Appalachian Trail
Fly in a P-51
FINALLY teach myself German (long-running joke)
Help drive a steam engine
Build something enduring for my family.

A

Andromache

if we were talking fantasies, that'd be a whole different ball chain.

When we had to write our own obituaries for this class I took years ago, we had to include a cause of death. I felt it was rather silly, so I wrote that I was crushed by a falling anvil that was dropped while being hoisted to the 13th floor of a building.

There aren't any buildings that high within 20 miles of where I live.

How I'm actually going to die? I suspect drowning or falling.

Will desperately needs updating now that I'm married and have a kid.

There are only 2 items on my goal list: Watch my son graduate from college (or else find his killer), and completely eliminate my debt.

The only 'bucket list' type things I want to do are:
-Become a decent programmer*.
-Learn enough to do my hideously expensive guitar some justice.
-Visit Yecla, Spain (already almost managed to do it once. Got within 60 miles but circumstances (train breakdown) got in the way).
-Visit Zafat/Safed, Israel (probably not gonna happen what with the current world climate).
The last two are sister cities to the town where I grew up.

--Patrick
*Actually, I'm already a decent programmer. I just don't know any modern languages/architectures, and nobody ever hires you based on how well you design algorithms, just on how well you can code.

Dave

Staff member
Three things.

1) This is not a garbage thread and could be an interesting topic.
2) Unless someone is seriously spamming threads, I will never get down on someone for creating threads. That's kinda why we're here.
3) Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you can follow them from thread to thread posting crap. That's the definition of trolling. Stop it.

D

Disconnected

I've had a will since my late 30's. I have not seen/read much about bucket lists and understand them to be lists of things to do before you die...? If I'd made a list like that when I was younger I would have never come close because as I grew, my wants\needs desires changed. So if I had a long term goal and become focused on it I would have missed out on many of the things that came into my life, I just go do stuff I want to do instead of making a list of wants.

that being said lists can be good motivators for some.

Cajungal

Staff member
Hmm things to do before I die:

-Sing some of my favorite standards on a stage/at a jazz bar; including "More than you know," "They can't take that away from me," and "All My Tomorrows."

-Finish a book and at least get my loved ones to read it...publishing would be nice too, but I don't know if my stuff deserves that.

-Travel as much as I can, keep a travel journal

-Perfect an awesome novelty dessert idea that my brother gave me

-Help a lot of struggling kids to learn

I have no will, but I've told Jake a few things about what I want if I go, and I have them written down, too. It's nothing official, just some requests that I'm sure my family will honor. For one thing, if I have any assets left, they're going to my godchild's college fund. Truth is I think about death and dying almost every minute of every day. It's not healthy. So I try to keep those kinds of thoughts out of my mind and just do what I think needs to be done and say what I think needs to be said every day.

W

WolfOfOdin

Things to do before I die:

Be appointed executive assistant DA of New York City.

Get Elected DA of New York City

Get half my face blown off and my girlfriend killed in a horrible accident

Avenge self on world.

P

Philosopher B.

I don't want to be put in the ground, I really don't want there to be a funeral.
Me, either. I hate the thought of rotting in the ground. Not that I'd care afterwards, though, lol. I'd rather have my ashes spread somewhere. As for funerals, fuck 'em.

As for things I'd like to do before I die:

Learn to play Maggot Brain on the guitar.
Visit England.
Get a novel published.
Go to more concerts.

I don't have much in the way of assets but my girlfriend would get the household items, my best friend would get my pc and my other best friend would get my stereo. No bucket list, if i get to do the stuff I want yay, if not who cares.

As for a funeral, well I have a very strict plan written down for what I want to happen. It is a masterpiece of music, As the eulogy is being spoken, fade to black and for whom the bell tolls will play softly in the background. As I am being lowered into the fire Through the fire and The flames, after that shall be Whats left of the flag by Flogging Molly (which no doubt will be sung to by most of my friends, also they will be given a Jameson on the rocks if to drink while they sing). Then I also have a playlist for the wake. Even in death my parties shall be awesome.

Ashes will be spread across various places I feel close to. Fav pub, Fav beach etc. Also I have a request to be salted before my cremation as well. Just in case I come back as a ghost.

I wanna be shot into space in some kinda tube while the janitor play "Walking on Sunshine" on bagpipe.

Dave

Staff member
My wife and kids get all my stuff and money. They are also under standing orders to post on Twitter & Facebook when I die. Oh, and as always you guys are free to make as much fun of me as you can, up to and including wildly outlandish reasons why I passed and PS contests with obituary photos.

North_Ranger

Staff member
You're not against attempts to use dark and forbidden arts that may or may not include slapping your bloated corpse with fish to resurrect you as a cruel, abominable joke to all of Creation?

Dave

Staff member
You have access to all the passwords so you could take it over if you wanted.

Just remember to change the Google Ads to your own account or you'll be shelling out the monthly $$ by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.