Last night's adventure

TL;DR: Do not drive drunk. DO NOT DO IT.

We can't watch Game of Thrones yet because it's not dark enough out, so I'm satisfying my Internet urge by telling this story instead. Paul and I now live in a city further south of L.A. in Orange County, and it is extremely quiet and peaceful.

Last night around 3:30am, I was wide awake, and I heard a car collision outside. It sounded weird, though, Not so much metal screaming on metal but more of a "THWUMP" quality, followed by a strange roaring sound. I grabbed my phone and ran outside, and what I saw about five houses down was this:

accident.jpg

That is a car driven by a drunken pusbucket who took the turn at such speed, he killed a mailbox and fire hydrant (that's a 35-foot geyser, the source of the roaring) and was still going so fast he crumpled his front end when he hit the house and destroyed the garage. AMAZINGLY (and for which I am still so thankful), nobody was hurt. Sadly, that includes the driver. The street was ankle-deep in water almost immediately.

I didn't take that photo at the time, of course. I was the first one out on the street and I saw the driver out of the car and staring at it, before he turned and ran faster than I have ever seen a drunk move, towards me but on the other side of the street, crying "ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod" as he went. I had no time to do anything but make sure I had a good look before he turned, then called 911, reported the collision, and described the guy.

Apparently some new neighbors were having a housewarming party and this guy they didn't know (this was what they said anyway) was being so loud someone called in a noise complaint. So they asked him to either take a cab or sleep in his car. And instead he did this. Which, if they really did everything they could to stop this asshole stranger, still sucks for them because as I understand it, they're liable if they served him. The couple who own or rent the house are very sweet and quiet, and they were supposed to be heading on vacation in a few hours.

I stayed there and gave my story to the cops -- who were the calmest, politest, friendliest, funniest cops I have ever encountered, especially in an emergency -- and not too long after they found the guy. Couldn't have been that hard, dude in a white shirt running his ass off around a sleepy suburb. I confirmed to the cops that he was the one I saw. Sitting on the curb eavesdropping on this waste of splooge justify himself to the cops was definitely the funniest part of the night.

When Paul and I finally went back to our house at around 5am they were putting him in a cop car right in front. One of the cops smiled and cheerfully said "Have a good night -- well, morning!"

Sounds exciting!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and not YouTube...though I wonder what the above scene would look like as an animated .GIF!
Regret. I'm sure it would look like regret. Loootsa regret.

--Patrick

Damn, man! What kind of consequences came from the broken hydrant? Anything? Or too early to tell?
There was talk that water to the street would be cut off today, but if that happened it didn't affect us. I didn't go look at the house today but Paul talked to the couple. They're a bit miffed as you might expect.

Thanks for sharing this with us, and not YouTube...though I wonder what the above scene would look like as an animated .GIF!
I do have a bit of video, though it isn't incredibly enlightening. Mainly I wanted to record the size of the geyser relative to the house. But yeah, I just wanted to tell my friends about it, not broadcast it.

I'm glad that no one was hurt, and also that wasn't your house! (Although I feel really bad for your neighbor who going to have to get their house fixed when they had nothing to do with this.)

I really hope they put that driver through the wringer. People who think they can drive after they drink infuriate me. :mad:

Just hope that the guy has insurance. It always tends to be the ones that do not are the ones doing the stupidest shit. Which DOES make sense: it's not the first time, so they can't GET it anymore, and drive badly anyways illegally.

(Although I feel really bad for your neighbor who going to have to get their house fixed when they had nothing to do with this.)
That's by far the worst part of this. I'm thinking of taking up a collection around the neighborhood.

Just hope that the guy has insurance. It always tends to be the ones that do not are the ones doing the stupidest shit. Which DOES make sense: it's not the first time, so they can't GET it anymore, and drive badly anyways illegally.
I think it's going to be a bit of a mess all around because if the driver doesn't have insurance, either the couple whose home was damaged or their insurance company will most likely go after the people who had the party where the guy came from. Unless that group can definitively prove that they didn't serve him, and even then I'm not sure. And that might happen even if the driver does have insurance (although you're right, I kinda doubt it).

I had a roommate that I routinely had to physically restrain from leaving the house driving drunk. It was a huge fucking pain, and my other roommate and I actually had an intervention to get him to ease up or at least stop putting us in this awkward / bad position. He pretty much reacted "fuck y'all, whatever, I do what I want" and then we moved out at the next lease.

I think it's going to be a bit of a mess all around because if the driver doesn't have insurance, either the couple whose home was damaged or their insurance company will most likely go after the people who had the party where the guy came from. Unless that group can definitively prove that they didn't serve him, and even then I'm not sure. And that might happen even if the driver does have insurance (although you're right, I kinda doubt it).
Wait, so someone decides to get drunk off his ass and do stupid shit and the people that throw the party are liable? And they're also guilty until proven innocent?

How would you even control who drinks what or how much, or even how high a limit someone has? Put a lock on the fridge or something?

Spoilered for extreme bitterness and cynicism, because it was a long day and I'm really hoping my exhaustion has nothing to do with the apparent flu pandemic that's hit my workplace.

Because somebody has to be held accountable and we can't blame the drunk person, because court cases against them routinely fail, based on the very inebriation that caused whatever damage they're being sued for in the first place?

GasBandit

Staff member
I wish I could just say "California" but it is one of those "you can't be held responsible for your own actions" ideas that seems to be taking hold all over.

It's the US and our overly litigious society. The new american dream is to have someone "wrong" you, & then you sue the hell out of them & anyone else that has money & hit the jackpot.

blm860622.gif