L4D 2 - Nov 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

personally, I would buy it if it was an expansion. Like Broodwar to Starcraft original series. I think that would be the better route to take. People can still play L4D classic (like StarCraft) OR expand version like Broodwar. It would be perfect.

figmentPez said:
Gusto said:
Is there any kinda of differentiation between characters, or a class system yet?
Is this the game you're looking for?

*awesome picture snip*
Oh my god... so full of win!!!

I'd play even more heavy if he looked like that in TF2.

Also... Episode 3 now please, kthnksbi.

Obviously I'm excited to see this game, but I have 3 major concerns.

1. Nov 17 is an early timetable. How much work was put into this? Is this like... an expansion or a complete new game? I think this will be a tad rushed to make it out for the holidays... and will require a few months of tweaks and I don't think they'll deliver on 5 campaigns, at least not at first.

2. I was sorta fond of the old characters. I'm not huge on the "southern" charm so I don't know about that at this point and time but we'll see, maybe they'll grow on me. One thing is for sure, they better at least make the other characters unlockable or something like that.

3. I doubt an SDK will come out now with this game coming out.

PS: Dibs on Uncle Phil.

C

Chummer

I think this is what has most peopel upset:

Valve intends to support hotly anticipated zombie survival shooter Left 4 Dead post-release with new characters, new maps, new achievements and new weapons in order to grow the community, Gabe Newell has revealed.
Speaking to VideoGamer.com at Leipzig Games Convention, the Valve co-founder and managing director said the developer intended to follow a similar downloadable content policy as it has with Team Fortress 2.
Which I admit is one reason I bought the game. It felt unfinished but Valve was going to add more levels and weapons and characters etc. So eventually it would be worth the $50 price tag. And heck over the year all theyve really added is completeling the versus maps and adding one new small map for the survivor mode.

And now they are making a sequel with all this new stuff that peopel were expecting for free in L4D.

Now, they have said they are going to continue to support L4D, but haven't said by how much. I know its onlybeen one day but Valve needs to comment.

C

Chibibar

Chummer said:
I think this is what has most peopel upset:

Valve intends to support hotly anticipated zombie survival shooter Left 4 Dead post-release with new characters, new maps, new achievements and new weapons in order to grow the community, Gabe Newell has revealed.
Speaking to VideoGamer.com at Leipzig Games Convention, the Valve co-founder and managing director said the developer intended to follow a similar downloadable content policy as it has with Team Fortress 2.
Which I admit is one reason I bought the game. It felt unfinished but Valve was going to add more levels and weapons and characters etc. So eventually it would be worth the $50 price tag. And heck over the year all theyve really added is completeling the versus maps and adding one new small map for the survivor mode.

And now they are making a sequel with all this new stuff that peopel were expecting for free in L4D.

Now, they have said they are going to continue to support L4D, but haven't said by how much. I know its onlybeen one day but Valve needs to comment.
I still think it would be awesome if it was an expansion instead of a whole new game. The reason is that if it a whole new game, the old version may not be supported much longer (or as much) why? cause the newer game has all the cool features people would want to play.

If it is an expansion, that means all the old stuff are still playable AND characters can be played in the NEW campaign (just like Broodwar in StarCraft) that would be awesome!!!!!

L4D got its $50 and more to me. I've had loads of fun on it and continue to do so whenever I get in with my buddies.

I'll likely buy L4D2 when it comes out.

figmentPez

Staff member
Before its time? Valve explains Left 4 Dead sequel to Ars

"[Chet Faliszek] talked about the reaction to the Orange Box, how people were angry about "buying" Half-Life 2 again. "And looking back, was the Orange Box a ripoff?"

When I originally bought HL2 and Ep1, I got what I expected out of the games. When they were bundled with the Orange Box, it was a little frustrating, but all I had to do was decide if the remaining games were worth the price. The situation is not the same with L4D. I bought the game expecting new maps, new weapons and new special infected. There have been zero new Campaign maps, zero new weapons, and zero new special infected. I'm not mad about L4D2 containing all that L4D already has, I'm mad that L4D didn't get the updates that Valve promised.

Did I get $37.49 (sale price) worth of fun out of L4D? Probably.
Is that relevant? Absolutely not. I've gotten more than enough fun out of the Lustice League DVD box sets due to the episodes alone to justify what I paid for them. However, the boxes say they've got bonus features, and I'd be pissed if there weren't any. Even if I would have paid the same price for the episodes alone.

I'm not complaining because I didn't have fun. I'm complaining because I was promised more than I've gotten. Integrity is important to me. Keeping promises is important to me. All signs right now point to Valve not keeping their promises. I've repeatedly talked up Valve as a shining example of a company that cares about it's customers. Both to gamers and non-gamers. I've pointed out their game support as the way that things should be done, especially Team Fortress 2. It really feels like egg on my face to have said such good things about a company, only to find out they're trying to short-change customers.

figmentPez

Staff member
Cat said:
The Orange Box a ripoff? :Leyla:
Well, Valve was originally going to have a Black Box and an Orange Box. The Black Box would only contain the new games (HL2:Ep2, Portal, TF2) and would cost less than the Orange Box. For the PC gamers who already owned HL2 and Ep1, it felt like they were being forced to buy those games again, just to get the new content. Gamers who only wanted Ep2 felt even more ripped-off, since only the bundle was available at launch. They just wanted Ep2 for $20 like they paid for Ep1, all the other games for $30 wasn't value, it was just a way to get fanboys to buy games they otherwise wouldn't have.

Now, I was excited about Portal, and TF2 didn't seem like an awful bonus, so I was happy with the price. But I know there are people who just don't play puzzle games or multi-player, and follow the HL series for exactly what it is, single player FPS with a story. That group was right to feel scammed by the Orange Box, especially with how hard it was to avoid spoilers about Ep2 in the time between the Orange Box coming out and Ep2 being available by itself.

They should've waited, there was no way anyone would think Valve was only going to sell the next episode in a packaged deal.

T

Twitch

figmentPez said:
Cat said:
The Orange Box a ripoff? :Leyla:
Well, Valve was originally going to have a Black Box and an Orange Box. The Black Box would only contain the new games (HL2:Ep2, Portal, TF2) and would cost less than the Orange Box. For the PC gamers who already owned HL2 and Ep1, it felt like they were being forced to buy those games again, just to get the new content. Gamers who only wanted Ep2 felt even more ripped-off, since only the bundle was available at launch. They just wanted Ep2 for $20 like they paid for Ep1, all the other games for $30 wasn't value, it was just a way to get fanboys to buy games they otherwise wouldn't have.

Now, I was excited about Portal, and TF2 didn't seem like an awful bonus, so I was happy with the price. But I know there are people who just don't play puzzle games or multi-player, and follow the HL series for exactly what it is, single player FPS with a story. That group was right to feel scammed by the Orange Box, especially with how hard it was to avoid spoilers about Ep2 in the time between the Orange Box coming out and Ep2 being available by itself.
It took me over a year to play HLEP2 after purchase. I didn't encounter a single spoiler and I wasn't really trying. Was it really that bad?

figmentPez

Staff member
Twitch said:
It took me over a year to play HLEP2 after purchase. I didn't encounter a single spoiler and I wasn't really trying. Was it really that bad?
Were you part of any HL community? If I'd cared about Ep2 spoilers, I would have had to avoid a significant portion of the content at Planet Half-Life for a while, and I just read their news updates. I don't participate in their forums.

E

elph

I've yet to play any of the Episodes. I didn't like the idea of spending $15-$20 and not getting a complete game. I wasn't sure exactly what I would be getting, maybe another zone or so? So I just skipped them.

figmentPez

Staff member
elph said:
I've yet to play any of the Episodes. I didn't like the idea of spending $15-$20 and not getting a complete game. I wasn't sure exactly what I would be getting, maybe another zone or so? So I just skipped them.
You're missing out. You could have gotten the Orange Box for $10 a while back, more than worth the risk. Episode 1 kinda felt like a too-short rehash of City 17 and the Citadel, though I personally thought the interactions with Alyx were more than worth the $20 it debuted at. On the other hand Episode 2 was amazing through and through. It's easy worth more the $15 it sells for by itself on Steam. It's a good hunk of content. The forest and caves are unlike anything in HL2, and the new enemies feel very menacing. Don't miss Episode 2, seriously. It's amazing story telling.

I agree with Pez, the Episodes are well worth the price. They're sort of like... Half-Life 2, but better. Though somewhat shorter. For comparison's sake, HL2 has 13 chapters, Ep1 has 5, Ep2 has 7.

I still say the Antlion turret defense battle in Episode 2 is the greatest battle ever in Half-Life history.

figmentPez

Staff member
bhamv2 said:
I still say the Antlion turret defense battle in Episode 2 is the greatest battle ever in Half-Life history.
Yes. The characters, the pacing, the objectives, the change-ups and curve-balls thrown at you. Everything about that battle is awesome. Feels hectic and frantic, like you're on the edge of survival, but without actually being a brutally difficult fight.

figmentPez

Staff member
Video proof of Valve software promising new campaigns, new weapons and new infected for L4D
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWylFmqnwM:3h7aygdb][/youtube:3h7aygdb]

And, it just dawned on me that I've still got extra copies HL2 and Ep1 in my Steam account from when I bought the Orange Box. You want Episode 1 Elph?

E

elph

figmentPez said:
Video proof of Valve software promising new campaigns, new weapons and new infected for L4D
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWylFmqnwM:2ghf1lla][/youtube:2ghf1lla]

And, it just dawned on me that I've still got extra copies HL2 and Ep1 in my Steam account from when I bought the Orange Box. You want Episode 1 Elph?
Sure if it's just sitting around collecting virtual dust. I'll check it out. Thanks!

I was under the idea that they weren't so long, that they maybe only 1 or 2 chapters.

G

Gadzooks

figmentPez said:
[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWylFmqnwM:eek:5wtt3ly][/youtube:eek:5wtt3ly]

the ending is priceless because its about all we can do

figmentPez

Staff member
Gadzooks said:
Anyone who posts that video on the Left 4 Dead 2 section of the Steam forums is having it deleted by the moderators.

C

Chibibar

figmentPez said:
Gadzooks said:
Anyone who posts that video on the Left 4 Dead 2 section of the Steam forums is having it deleted by the moderators.
of course :)

well.. I guess Valve did give the SDK recently but I personally haven't look much into it (since I suck making maps) so.... we'll see.

figmentPez

Staff member
Chibibar said:
well.. I guess Valve did give the SDK recently but I personally haven't look much into it (since I suck making maps) so.... we'll see.
Beta version of the SDK, with no support, yet, for the average player to play the maps without jumping through hoops.

C

Chibibar

figmentPez said:
Chibibar said:
Beta version of the SDK, with no support, yet, for the average player to play the maps without jumping through hoops.
right... so Valve might be a bit slow *wink wink nudge nudge* from their original promise but at least they are going with SOMETHING........

Of course, if L4D2 becomes a great hit, we may never see that Beta SKD becomes full blown version.

figmentPez

Staff member
Chibibar said:
right... so Valve might be a bit slow *wink wink nudge nudge* from their original promise but at least they are going with SOMETHING........

Of course, if L4D2 becomes a great hit, we may never see that Beta SKD becomes full blown version.
If all they'd promised was an SDK, I'd only be a little worried that maps designed for L4D2 woudln't work on the first game. However, they promised new campaigns, new weapons and new enemies for L4D, and they haven't even breathed a word of that happening.

C

Chibibar

figmentPez said:
Chibibar said:

If all they'd promised was an SDK, I'd only be a little worried that maps designed for L4D2 woudln't work on the first game. However, they promised new campaigns, new weapons and new enemies for L4D, and they haven't even breathed a word of that happening.
heh.... probably all those cool ideas are going into L4D2 :( (I'm guessing here)

now of course the devs can promise a lot of things, but it is up to the big wig (main decision maker) to allow budget and such to do these things. At this point, it is all guess work on my part and hope...... :)

figmentPez

Staff member
Chibibar said:
now of course the devs can promise a lot of things, but it is up to the big wig (main decision maker) to allow budget and such to do these things.
A big-wig like Gabe Newell co-founder and managing director of Valve, who said "So each time we've released one of those for Team Fortress 2 we've seen about a 20% increase in the number of people who are playing online. And that number is really important because it determines how many community created maps there are, how many servers are running, and so on. So we'll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we'll have the initial release and then we'll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that's the way you continue to grow a community over time."

ElJuski

Staff member
Let me sum it up thusly:

I don't give a shit. I'll pay for moar when it comes out, and if it sucks, then I won't buy more.

figmentPez

Staff member
No cares for corporate responsibility? This is why things are going to hell in a handbasket. Everyone expects everyone else to lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.