Krisken's art stuff, previously all 40k miniatures

I suppose a little back story should be used before I post these pictures. I've been an avid gamer for years. I've never been very good at actually playing the game or even very good at painting, but I am extremely patient when it comes to getting the exact effect I'm looking for when painting miniatures. As such, here are some pieces I've painted for Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. Mostly, they are my Lizardmen and Elder Iyanden Ghost army (my favorite).

Lizardmen pics.

Zombie Dragon

Iyanden ghost Army. The entire paint scheme started when I looked at my Jyhad (Vampire card game) box and saw the mask of the Nosferatu clan. I decided to paint that on the Wraithlord. Since then, it's been painted on 3 speeder bikes, 20 Wraithguard, and 2 Wraithlords. A pain in the rump to keep doing, but looks fantastic in the end.

Chaos Dragon (highly customized)

Let me know what y'all think.

That's an [expletive deleted] awesome Chaos Dragon. The rest is great, too. Way better than what most peopel here have, that's for sure. You get two thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bubble181 said:
That's an [expletive deleted] awesome Chaos Dragon. The rest is great, too. Way better than what most peopel here have, that's for sure. You get two thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks! It was a blast to paint it in those colors as opposed to the ones on the box (purple/blue/red). I added both the flags on the wings, the arrows, and the head tentacles (which are made from the old pink horror tails). The rider I put together using bits and the chair is made from skeleton regiment standards (I think). He was a lot of fun to put together!

Gusto said:
Holy fucking tiny detail!

Very impressive! I am jealous of your fine motor skills!
Thanks a lot! I just might take pictures of my other mini's now and post them up!

Terrik said:
Really good! Wish I had the patience for that (and the money). I'd love to have an Ork army myself.
Yea, I don't think I'd have the patience for this kind of thing, but it definitely shows that it is worth it!

They're all awesome, but that Chaos Dragon just looks amazinggg :shock:

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm a little surprised by the glowing reviews! Certainly helps push me to finish the few pieces I have to do yet to make complete armies.

A side note on the Eldar army- I used magnets and created the bases using the bases and molds for resin. I then cast the resin outside of each magnet. If I wanted to, each of the single figures could be put on the refrigerator :teeth:

I've always wanted to try warhammer myself so that I could have an excuse to paint those things. I've always wanted to learn how to paint them. I'd like to try my hand at making a terrain as well but I'll leave that for when I actually understand the game a bit more. I do have some extra money coming to me soon...

Anyway those are gorgeous and will probably make me horridly discouraged when I decide to start painting them and they turn out awful. :pthhp:

Far said:
I've always wanted to try warhammer myself so that I could have an excuse to paint those things. I've always wanted to learn how to paint them. I'd like to try my hand at making a terrain as well but I'll leave that for when I actually understand the game a bit more. I do have some extra money coming to me soon...

Anyway those are gorgeous and will probably make me horridly discouraged when I decide to start painting them and they turn out awful. :pthhp:
What's really discouraging is looking at what the Golden Demon (tournament painting champions) winners put together. Now that is depressing!

Thanks for the compliment though! I've been painting off and on for about 7 years now, and believe me, the first things I did looked AWFUL. Best advice I can give is keep at it and remember that primer is your friend for pieces that you don't like (you can always repaint it!).

Necronic

Staff member
Dude, you need to enter competitions. I've seen much worse stuff win. Your combined abilities at customizing and painting make for a deadly combination. Seriously, those are White Dwarf worthy. The dragons are amazing, as are the lizardmen pieces. I don't entirely like the eldar, but its more the color choice than the application itself.

I

Iaculus

Actully, the Chaos Dragon wasn't my favourite.

The Zombie Dragon's where it's at. Lovely job on the skin.

Necronic said:
Dude, you need to enter competitions. I've seen much worse stuff win. Your combined abilities at customizing and painting make for a deadly combination. Seriously, those are White Dwarf worthy. The dragons are amazing, as are the lizardmen pieces. I don't entirely like the eldar, but its more the color choice than the application itself.
Haha, I wish I had that kind of talent! Some of those guys have taken art classes and have a better grasp of color and lighting effects than I do.

As for White Dwarf, perhaps when I finally finish my Ratling attack on Dwarf Mountain snowglobe (a small fish tank that is set up as a snow scene involving Ratlings attacking the Dwarfs, which will have a pump to push the water and *snow around), maybe then I'll have something I wouldn't mind sharing.
Iaculus said:
Actully, the Chaos Dragon wasn't my favourite.

The Zombie Dragon's where it's at. Lovely job on the skin.
Thanks! I remember looking at the box and thinking that the dark color the 'Eavy Metal team used wasn't what I wanted. I definately dig the colors on that one too :)

Ok, very big update, so I'll start with the demons, and then wait a while so the pictures aren't all in one post.

EDIT!: Holy Schnikey's! Pictures will be resized and uploaded soon. I promise!

Edit2: Ok, better sizing! That was just obtrusive before.
Horrors

Lord of Change

Whole Army so far

Thanks guys :) I'll have more up in a while. Better pictures of the Lizardmen models and some Dwarf models that weren't up before.

Ok, here are the updated Lizardmen pictures as promised.

Kroxigar

Salamanders

Saurus Warriors

Slann Mage Priest

Soon to come... Dwarves

Ok, finally the Dwarves. Pretty basic paint scheme on these guys.

Warriors

Thunderers

Crossbowmen

Standard Bearer

Dwarf Cannon

Dwarf Flame Cannon

Well, that's it until I finish painting the Daemon Flamers and Soul Grinder. Hopefully before the end of next month.

Awww, thanks you two! I do have fun painting the models! I really need to get more of my models up to show off!

Well you blow me out of the water as far as the amounts of models you have painted. I have over 5,000 points of Empire sitting in my box pleading for a paint job. I am terrible about sitting down and actually painting.

you paint the pants of off me. I bow before your superior painting skills whilst de-pantsd. seriously keep up the good work and post more pics maybe?
I definitely will keep posting pictures of models! As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I do have a few more models that I have painted but aren't included here that I wouldn't mind adding. It's just a shame that painting this stuff takes me so long!

Thank you for the kind words and I will absolutely post more of my finished pieces as soon as I am able!

That shits pretty awesome man. I really like the Lizardmen, but I might be bias 'cause I like them as an army.

The only model I was ever kinda proud of, paint wise, was my Carnafix, but it was so big getting some detail work on it wasn't that hard.

Ok, miner update. I have some Daemons to add to the list. The Soul Grinder pictures came out really blue for some reason, as did the Tzeentch Flamers, so I'll try taking those pictures another day. Until then, I have some other mini's I've painted in the mean time.

Bloodletter

Daemon Prince

Screamers

Soul Grinder

Well, that's it. If a mod would be kind enough to move this back to the Post Your Stuff area, I'd appreciate it. 'Till I get those flamers pictures taken it may be a while till more get done. Someday....

Thanks Espy! I've been painting for quite a while, so it's only natural I should accrue quite a collection of finished models.

Ok, as promised, the Flamers of Tzeentch. Added bonus a Champion of Tzeentch. If I ever find the arm to my Lord of tzeentch, I'll add that another day.
Flamers of Tzeentch

Yeah, I know, the one is chipping on his arm. I'll have to do some repair painting and apply a nice thick coat of Matte Varnish spray to fix that up.

Champion of Tzeentch

W

wana10

the paint jobs look amazing but, and i hate to say it, i think you should rebase the daemon prince. it might be a detriment gameplay wise but i think it would look a lot better on a 60mm base instead of squeezed onto the terminator base it's on now.

You know, I was a little surprised when I pulled him out of the package and he came with such a small base. For now he balances nice, but maybe I will eventually rebase him.

I

Iaculus

Not sure about the grey flames on your daemons, but I definitely like the Champion's hand-head and rainbow staff. Those must have been fiddly.

Unfortunately, that is a side effect of the slightly blue tint to the image. Those are actually green flames (much like the Daemon Princes sword. The bottom of the flamers body is actually much whiter than it appears in the images). It stands out much better in person. I really wish I had ideal conditions for taking pictures!

The staff was actually easier than you would think. It involved painting the staff with a metallic silver paint, then using each of the inks slightly watered down to keep from being too bright and mixing well. If I ever find the arm, I'll add the Champion to the images as well. He's pretty cool looking on his Disc.

Ok, a few more pictures, this time of the Bloodthirster. I'll probably work on the base some more and add a few details, but for the most part this is how he'll look.

I'm still working on what the best ideal conditions are for taking pictures of the minaitures is. Editing the image isn't my strong point, either, so if I do that it ends up either washed out or too dark. Eventually I'll find the best way to take the pictures.

C

Chibibar

you know a friend of mine once told me this, "You can be the most harshest critics"

I say enter some competition with your models. You might be surprise what you might get from it. Even if you didn't win, you may have the chance to talk with other enthusist and exchange ideas for next competitions.

You can never win if you don't compete :)

yay, new miniature to add. This is my Blue Scribes. It uses a disc from the old Lord choice and places two blue horrors on top. I created the scrolls and the rock base using Sculpy. I really like how they turned out.

As usual, I'm very happy to answer any questions. :) Enjoy!