Kidnapping, might lead you to find religion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
JCM = just "playing the devil advocate"-ish, but I think heard a counter argument saying that the fear of more violents measures lead to the criminals to be more violents with the victims (being more likely to kill them to keep them quiet). What would say about that?

note: I am agreeing or disagreeing with you right now.

It's funny how such rare cases always bring out the rage and fury as if there's a freak like that on every street corner. There's a reason this becomes international news, folks. Guess why? Because it's the kind of thing that only happens once every few years!

You got a far bigger chance of getting hit by a car in fact. I dunno if it was this forum or another, but I remember someone posting statistics which showed that there's was like 10.000 times more chance of your kid dying in a car crash than getting abducted by a pedophile. In other words: stop being so damn paranoid.

Having said that, child molesting happens far more frequently but in the biggest number of cases, this is done by family members or close members of the family so it's a lot harder to track down.

A

Andromache

I dont think it was the fact that she was stolen that made this case rare international news, but that she was found, alive.

J

JCM

JCM = just "playing the devil advocate"-ish, but I think heard a counter argument saying that the fear of more violents measures lead to the criminals to be more violents with the victims (being more likely to kill them to keep them quiet). What would say about that?
Results have shown it works, but until now its voluntary (you can ask for castration vs prison in some places).

Icarus said:
I´d say test it in more violence-striken cities, then if the results are favorable, extend it to a state, and onwards. If not, forget about the idea.
You got a far bigger chance of getting hit by a car in fact. I dunno if it was this forum or another, but I remember someone posting statistics which showed that there's was like 10.000 times more chance of your kid dying in a car crash than getting abducted by a pedophile. In other words: stop being so damn paranoid.
Yur my favorite new poster, and pretty much agree 100%

Its just that the media wont show each car crash, but a story like this gets almost almost as much media attention as the death of Michael Jackson. So it does seem a bigger threat, sadly, if one doesnt know much.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Results have shown it works, but until now its voluntary (you can ask for castration vs prison in some places).
I wasn't talking about happening again, but about the aspect of criminals becoming more violent with they victims because the don't want they to talk.

Its just that the media wont show each car crash, but a story like this gets almost almost as much media attention as the death of Michael Jackson. So it does seem a bigger threat, sadly, if one doesnt know much.
Oh god yes, I actually getting tired of the Media obsessing over a single thing for the entire day and forgeting about in the next. When I MJ died my first though was "Oh, Not again, here it goes the media circus!"

J

JCM

I wasn't talking about happening again, but about the aspect of criminals becoming more violent with they victims because the don't want they to talk.
Sadly, if that were a factor, we wouldnt punish murderers, in fear that they might kill witnesses, and rapists sometimes do kill women as well, so that seems a terrible excuse not to put something that works into practice.

Again, this is for repeat offenders. People who HAVE already raped.

Castration has been shown to work well in voluntary cases, what should be done is experiment it as capital punishment in some cities, see the results, and if it continues working well, use it as a standard punishemnt for repeat offenders.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Jesus, whats sickening is that %$# "welcome" sign.

C

Chazwozel

It's funny how such rare cases always bring out the rage and fury as if there's a freak like that on every street corner. There's a reason this becomes international news, folks. Guess why? Because it's the kind of thing that only happens once every few years!

Having said that, child molesting happens far more frequently but in the biggest number of cases, this is done by family members or close members of the family so it's a lot harder to track down.

Have you ever been to the Megan's Law sex offender website for your local area? There is one of these freaks living in your neighborhood, and child abduction is NOT, I repeat, NOT a rare occurrence. What is rare is what happened to this girl.

Sadly, if that were a factor, we wouldnt punish murderers, in fear that they might kill witnesses, and rapists sometimes do kill women as well, so that seems a terrible excuse not to put something that works into practice.

Again, this is for repeat offenders. People who HAVE already raped.

Castration has been shown to work well in voluntary cases, what should be done is experiment it as capital punishment in some cities, see the results, and if it continues working well, use it as a standard punishemnt for repeat offenders.
Well voluntary means the guy already wanted to change, and that helped... and repeat offenders means people that have raped twice, which isn't obvious from your statement (what, you picked on my english in the other thread).

But i guess testing it is the only way to make sure if it works or not...

C

Chibibar

I don't know what to say about that evil man. (religious or not)

I don't know where or how to start. My blood is boiling because of this act.

Cajungal

Staff member
The more I read about this, the sadder I get. She knows this horrible man better than she knows her family as they are today.

But you're right, Chibi... you do what you can. I can't imagine staying stable in those conditions. I can't think of anyone I know who would either, at least for that long.

I already suspected they'd drag up the "Stockholm Syndrome" again - an easy explanation for a complex problem. From all that I read, it tells me it's NOT Stockholm Syndrome though.

This is a girl who was abducted when she was 11. You can bet that for the first few years, she would have had zero contact with anyone except for the guy and his wife. This is not so much Stockholm Syndrome where the victim mentally forces him to go with the "dangerous" side for safety-sake but far more a case of simple over-exposure to a different world. We're talking about years and years of exposure during a crucial phase of human mental development.

After all, at the age of 11, kids are already creating an identity for themselves. Parents will know that it doesn't take much for their teenager to suddenly behave in completely different ways. Because she had no friends or society to find inspiration, she had to make do with what she had.

Now, when your only environment is a guy who is older than your father + his wife, you can only grow within that frame. Heck, there's plenty of children who live with abusive fathers and mothers and who just grin and bear it. They are hardly Stockholm victims as well. It's simply a case of being used to the situation and making the best of it. In the end, she only knew that life and humans are always averse to changes so it's natural for her to stick with the guy. She most likely no longer considered herself a captive but part of his family and in that frame of mind, she may have accepted her captors behaviour.

Also, it's not impossible to sympathise with someone who has mistreated you in the past. There's thousands of examples if you look around! Heck, several cultures around the world still allow the selling of 10-12 year old girls to wealthy men to marry. In the end, these girls grow up and become faithful wives even if they were abused.

Anyway, this case is interesting from a psychological point of view. I think she's going to have a very hard time adjusting to society again and may feel a great deal of guilt as she gets in touch with her old world again.

Status
Not open for further replies.