Kidnapping, might lead you to find religion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8225621.stm

A US woman found after being abducted as a girl in 1991 gave birth to two children fathered by her alleged kidnapper - the first when she was 14.
Jaycee Lee Dugard and her daughters, 11 and 15, were kept in a \"hidden backyard within a backyard\", police say.
Alleged kidnapper Phillip Garrido, 58, and his wife Nancy Garrido, 54, are being held in custody in California.
DNA tests are being done to establish Ms Dugard's identity, but meanwhile she has been reunited with her mother.
\"She was in good health, but living in a backyard for the past 18 years does take its toll,\" El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar said.
Ms Dugard disappeared in 1991, aged 11, apparently taken by two people who bundled her into a car.
Mr Kollar said that since the kidnapping she had lived with the couple, isolated from view at a property in Antioch near San Francisco, 170 miles (273m) from her home in South Lake Tahoe.

In pictures: Girl found

\"The tents and outbuildings in the backyard were placed in a strategic arrangement to inhibit outside viewing and to isolate the victims from outside contact.\"
She and the children spent \"most of their lives\" there, he said, adding that they had never been to school or seen a doctor.
Their identities were revealed after police spotted Mr Garrido as he handed out religious literature at the University of California Berkeley campus with the two young children.
He raised suspicions because as a registered sex offender he was not allowed to be with young children.
He was called in by his parole officer for questioning, and brought the two children and a young woman he called Allissa with him.
During questioning he revealed that Allissa was actually Ms Dugard. She also confirmed her identity to police.

In a telephone interview from prison with the KCRA-TV station, Mr Garrido said he had not admitted to abduction and that the birth of the first child 15 years ago had changed his life.
\"I tell you here's the story of what took place at this house and you're going to be absolutely impressed.
\"It's a disgusting thing that took place from the end to the beginning. But I turned my life completely around,\" he said.
Some of those who had had contact with Mr Garrido over recent years said he had developed increasingly strong religious beliefs.
Tim Allen, who did business with Mr Garrido's printing firm, told Associated Press that Mr Garrido gave the impression he was planning to establish a church. \"He rambled. It made no sense,\" Mr Allen said.

'Given up hope'
Police said they had found a vehicle hidden in the backyard of the Antioch property that matched the vehicle described at the time of the abduction.

It broke my marriage up. I've gone through hell, I mean I'm a suspect up until yesterday

Carl Probyn, stepfather

Although Mr Garrido was previously visited by a parole officer, there was nothing odd noticed about the backyard.
The area occupied by Ms Dugard and her children was concealed by shrubs, rubbish bins and a tarpaulin.
Ms Dugard's stepfather, Carl Probyn, who witnessed the abduction on 10 June 1991, said he had \"given up hope\" she would be found alive.
\"It broke my marriage up. I've gone through hell, I mean I'm a suspect up until yesterday,\" Mr Probyn, 60, told AP.
Mr Probyn saw the young girl being taken away by two people as she walked from her home to a school bus stop in South Lake Tahoe.
He said a stranger drove up and grabbed Ms Dugard, bundling her into a grey car even as she tried to resist by kicking and screaming.
Mr Probyn believed a man and woman were in the vehicle. Despite several false reports of sightings in the intervening years, Ms Dugard was never seen again.
\"She sounds like she's okay,\" Mr Probyn said. \"I hope she's been well-treated this entire 18 years.
i have no idea what to say to this...

C

cvgurau

I do: That's FUCKED up.

What were these guys thinking?

No, wait. I don't want to know.

C

Chazwozel

This is the most fucked up thing I've ever read in the news. And I've read a lot of fucked up things. The most baffling is the two children that were born as a result of this; that they have never seen a doctor or gone to school. I seriously can't read these stories anymore, my blood pressure won't be able to handle it. I know I shouldn't try to bring this down to a personal level, but reading stories like this make me 100 times more paranoid about who's watching my kids, letting them get on the bus to school, etc... To be honest this girls parent's probably went through what would be my worst nightmare. I don't want to become one of those parents who watches their kids like a hawk, but man kids kidnapping ranks up there with death in my list of worst fears.

In a telephone interview from prison with the KCRA-TV station, Mr Garrido said he had not admitted to abduction and that the birth of the first child 15 years ago had changed his life.
So... a girl just walked into your back yard, gave birth, and decided to stay?

Is there a punishment like permanent waterboarding? I think this guy deserves it.

This ranks up there with the old adage, A Fate Worse than Death.

Then add in the Stepfather that was the suspect until yesterday.
I would call that fact one of the more horrifying aspects of the story. Not THE most horrifying, but ... even if you took everything else away, and just looked at this man being the number one suspect for over fifteen years ... that's horrible.

I think if my kid was kidnapped I would probably go insane looking for them. I just don't think I could ever have even a semblance of a normal life anymore. It would literally drive me nuts, I have no idea how anyone could handle that. Man do I feel for this family.

J

JCM

Faith in humanity meter is running terribly lower every time I read something like this

A

Andromache

my god, my god, my god they found her...

I lived in Tahoe when that happened....I'm stunned... I remember it all. the posters, the rallies they held at the el dorado library, the accusations that it had been Arabs... jesus

the absolute tragedy of the story was that Jaycee Lee was waiting at the top of the street with kids for the bus, and when it happened the stepfather at the time actually tried to race up the hill to rescue her, from their house at the near bottom of that hill. But it was, several blocks long and I remember that street as being as so steep in winter your cars couldn't make it up to the top without chains. And he says his marriage was ruined because of it. Poor guy.

jesus, man.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Grrrrrr... These kinds of things make me seriously think there's some benefit to what Finns call "equipment to the state", eg. losing your gun license after poaching (in ye olden times). This guy deserves losing his equipment. And by his equipment, I mean his balls and dick.

C

Chazwozel

my god, my god, my god they found her...

I lived in Tahoe when that happened....I'm stunned... I remember it all. the posters, the rallies they held at the el dorado library, the accusations that it had been Arabs... jesus

the absolute tragedy of the story was that Jaycee Lee was waiting at the top of the street with kids for the bus, and when it happened the stepfather at the time actually tried to race up the hill to rescue her, from their house at the near bottom of that hill. But it was, several blocks long and I remember that street as being as so steep in winter your cars couldn't make it up to the top without chains. And he says his marriage was ruined because of it. Poor guy.

jesus, man.
I fucking hate how these monsters always snatch kids at school bus stops. God, as if I don't have enough to worry about...

This is the most fucked up thing I've ever read in the news. And I've read a lot of fucked up things. The most baffling is the two children that were born as a result of this; that they have never seen a doctor or gone to school. I seriously can't read these stories anymore, my blood pressure won't be able to handle it. I know I shouldn't try to bring this down to a personal level, but reading stories like this make me 100 times more paranoid about who's watching my kids, letting them get on the bus to school, etc... To be honest this girls parent's probably went through what would be my worst nightmare. I don't want to become one of those parents who watches their kids like a hawk, but man kids kidnapping ranks up there with death in my list of worst fears.
You know, I agree to an extent, but at the same time, it's stories like this that make me feel better about just how paranoid I am about my kids. When I'm dropping them off myself at school and I don't let them just run all the hell over the neighborhood without letting me know exactly where they're going to be, it's things like this I'm thinking about. It's not that I want to know this stuff happens - I really, really wish it didn't. But it's not happening to my kids.

Good gods, what a horror.

And I remember being a kid and feeling agitated about my dad standing out at the bus stop with us because we were "big kids", and later on knowing what an idiot I was. It's just the kind of thing you have to do.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Now the police are looking into the kidnapper as a suspect in a string of missing prostitutes. It keeps getting better.
WoW

I really don't know If I wish that he is also guilty of these as well, in one hand they would have caught him, on the other hand... the guy still would have raised the kid and the daughters and that would just add to the pile of evil that he could have done to them.

A

Andromache

I'm pretty sure if I was left alone with them in a room, armed, it'd be over and damn quick. Not as a punishment, just as a parent's sense of deterrent.

J

JCM

This is why I keep saying that the only punishement for repeat pedophiles and rapists is castration.

Snip it off, and the problem goes away, but his pain doesnt. Death is too good a punishment.

What if you were left with them in a room, and you had a small cactus, glue, an electric guitar and a wrench?
Saw?

This is why I keep saying that the only punishement for repeat pedophiles and rapists is castration.

Snip it off, and the problem goes away, but his pain doesnt. Death is too good a punishment.
I don't know; rape is more about power than sexuality. I think if someone is fucked in the head in that direction, they're going to hurt people, be it with dick or with knife or something else.

C

crono1224

Less their rape is through a form of power, which they wouldn't need their penis they could just rape with any object, and gain the same sense of power.

Castration is a solution only to the ones that get off from their own sexual pleasure it still leaves lots of other rapist.

Wouldn't it be better to study these people and use those finding to identify before anything happens, and thus prevent? No matter what you do to a sex offender, someone was still violated, and you'll never change what happened to that person. I'd rather devote resources to study and prevention than to punishment.

If we're talking punishment, yeah, death is too good, but it's quicker and more effective than alternatives.

Wouldn't it be better to study these people and use those finding to identify before anything happens, and thus prevent? No matter what you do to a sex offender, someone was still violated, and you'll never change what happened to that person. I'd rather devote resources to study and prevention than to punishment.
We all know how well studying serial killers in prison has worked out. ;)

J

JCM

We all know how well studying serial killers in prison has worked out. ;)
Bingo.

The day someone can cure homicidal urges, cancer and alzheimer´s, maybe they can curb something like "feeling superior through abuse of another".
Less their rape is through a form of power, which they wouldn't need their penis they could just rape with any object, and gain the same sense of power.

Castration is a solution only to the ones that get off from their own sexual pleasure it still leaves lots of other rapist.
Really? A castrati would do that? Guess you have never seen a neutered cat, or studied about castrati singers before?

Cutting off the balls wrecks one´s testerone and hormone levels, whether its a man or a cat, besides the shame of losing one´s seual prowess, it turns him into a tamer and softer individual.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castration#As_a_preventative_measure
\"Voluntary\" chemical or surgical castration has been in practice in many countries—reports are available from American and European countries in particular for over eighty years (chemical for circa thirty)—as an option for treatment for people who have broken laws of a sexual nature, allowing them to return to the community from otherwise lengthy detentions[citation needed]. The effectiveness and ethics of this treatment are heavily debated.
A temporary chemical castration has been studied and developed as a preventive measure and punishment for several repeated sex crimes, such as rape or other sexually related violence.[6][7]
Physical castration appears to be highly effective as, historically, it results in a 20-year re-offense rate of less than 2.3% vs. 80% in the untreated control group, according to a large 1963 study involving a total of 1036 sex offenders by the German researcher A. Langelüddeke, among others [8], much lower than what was otherwise expected. Compare to overall sex offender recidivism rates.
Drastic, but it works hell better than studying rapists hoping for a miracle cure, or prison as a deterrent. And it might actually make them become more useful to society.

Status
Not open for further replies.