JonTron: White Nationalist?

And as many people have pointed out. If a word accidentally slips out, it means it's a word that's regularly part of your vocabulary.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not going to defend Pewdie, but I will say that some Northern Europeans very often don't "get" what the big deal is about many American racial no-no words. They haven't been steeped in the background and racial tension their entire lives, and when you try to explain it to them, they think it sounds tiresome and insane.

I went through a similar problem trying to explain to Pauline why she can't call people "uppity." Her Dutch upbringing completely insulated her from things that every American has had drilled into them since they could talk.

Uppity has racist connotations, but isn't inherently racist. There is no non-racist context for the n-word. He's just a racist. This isn't the first time we've seen evidence of that, and I'm betting it won't be the last.

I'm not going to defend Pewdie, but I will say that some Northern Europeans very often don't "get" what the big deal is about many American racial no-no words. They haven't been steeped in the background and racial tension their entire lives, and when you try to explain it to them, they think it sounds tiresome and insane.

I went through a similar problem trying to explain to Pauline why she can't call people "uppity." Her Dutch upbringing completely insulated her from things that every American has had drilled into them since they could talk.
Except uppity is an actual english word that meant something before being turned into a dog-whistle.

While "nigger" is a word borrowed from romance languages for one purpose.

And he even replaced it with "asshole" after he realised what he said.

Then again, he's not necessarily racist, he might just be spending too much time being an edgelord... the issue is that that still encourages nazis. And if you're unintentionally doing that, you really should tell them to fuck off in a clear and concise manner.

He's a manchild raised on the internet. Everything he says leads me to believe that he's barely educated and not that bright. He's incredibly ignorant and no one should be letting their kids spend all their time watching him.

He's a manchild raised on the internet. Everything he says leads me to believe that he's barely educated and not that bright. He's incredibly ignorant and no one should be letting their kids spend all their time watching him.
You've probably also just described Pat.

--Patrick

Regardless of your opinion on what Pewdiepie should or should not say, Jimquisition brought up some good points on why he should stop being an idiot.

It drives me a bit nuts all the people defending it as "just stuff people say over the internet", like "faggot".

It's the same stupid bullshit as "boys locker room talk" in regards to bragging about sexual assault.

Listen, I don't even think PewDiePie is necessarily racist, it's just idiots have been using said words on the internet for so long to be edgy and "anti-pc" that they have stained the whole damn community. When you literally live and breath games like he does for work and play, it becomes inevitable you are going to hear those words and likely blurt it out in turn yourself like an idiot.

We shouldn't be excusing this language as just something gamers do though. That is the greater problem here, and why I am glad it's getting attention.

PUBG Public chat is basically just a bunch of 12 year olds trying to be cool by saying bad words over and over again. Online games are toxic as fuck.
It's fun how they think it'll affect serious gameplay, though.

--Patrick

I actually wonder, Jeff Kaplan made a new Overwatch developer update today just talking about playing nice and not being toxic. It makes me wonder if the whole PewDiePie controversy sparked his desire to make it.

The thing is, this isn't the first time this shit has come up with Pewpiedie. Like, just about a year ago he got in trouble for paying two Sri Lankans to hold up a sign saying "DEATH TO ALL JEWS" on one of his broadcasts.

That shit cost him a deal with Disney and revenue from YouTube Red, if I recall correctly.

Prepubescents were calling me those things this very night in PUBG, in open voice chat. Yyyyyep.
And that would be fine if it didn't leak IRL. Or if, when it did, people would take a look at themselves instead of blaming the media, or other people of being "too sensitive".

I don't think I agree with this.
Well, make up your damn mind...

Also, i meant that it's fine if you just being an asshole online to blow off steam, or just fuck around with breaking some social rules to feel naughty etc. But, if you're really only doing it for those reasons, it really shouldn't "leak" IRL, because you don't actually believe any of that.

Of course, when you stare into the abyss... you know the saying.