It's that damn dress all over again - Yanny or Laurel?

GasBandit

Staff member
Go to this website and click the little speaker icon next to the word "Laurel."

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/laurel

Some people say it sounds like "yanny" to them, others insist it can't be anything but "laurel."

In my building, it seems like people under 25 are the ones hearing "yanny." Those of us over 30 hear "Laurel." The one guy between 25 and 30, it seems to depend on where I stand in the room when I play it for him on my phone... "Laurel" when I'm within reach, "Yanny" when I'm across the room.

So, what do you year? Laurel, or Yanny?

I hear what it is supposed to be Laurel.

I heard that the difference is when the volume is low and the bass drops away. And people that hear higher pitches not lower tones.

Maybe that is why kids could not understand my baritone voice when I taught.

That's so 5 minutes ago. The new thing is "brain storm or green needle"

Depending on what you're thinking of ("Brain storm", "green needle" "green storm", "Brain needle") at the moment, you can hear any combination of the words.

Dang it, I was going to just post “Laurel” by itself in the random thread yesterday and see if anyone knew what I was talking about.
I can still hear upper frequencies surprisingly well for my advanced age (I.e., over twenty), but no matter how I manipulate it to boost/cut highs/mids/lows/whatever, it never sounds like anything other than “Laurel” to me. I can’t even fake hearing “Yanny.” Hearing that edit above that @figmentPez posted is the first time I’ve been able to say I can make it out once the lows are completely removed, and I only hear it on headphones (or through mobile speakers) and even then only at about half the volume I hear “Laurel.”

—Patrick

Last edited:
I've listened to it at least 100 times now and I randomly heard "yanny" once and I can not reproduce it. I even hear laurel in high frequency things. I don't know what happened that one time.

GasBandit

Staff member

Depending on what you're thinking of ("Brain storm", "green needle" "green storm", "Brain needle") at the moment, you can hear any combination of the words.
That's because that's a shitty recording.

I’m a baritone/bass, so I’m always listening for the lower voices/fundamentals anyway, and I wonder if this has anything to do with why I absolutely can’t hear “Yanny” at all until those lower frequencies are deleted.

—Patrick

All I can hear is *garbled* needle

Here's a nifty tool that allows you to adjust the frequencies in the clip so that you can either hear Laurel or Yanny.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

The cool thing, for me, is that I usually hear Laurel, but where it starts switching between Laurel and Yanny on the slider depends on which side I'm approaching from. If I start on the Laurel side and slide towards Yanny, I can continue hearing Laurel until I'm pretty much past the last notch before the end. If I start on the Yanny side, though, I can continue hearing Yanny until I'm nearly halfway.

I hear "Grain Store." Mostly because it is garbled audio that has been recorded poorly and then compressed when uploaded to youtube.

I'm reminded of when I stepped in to cockblock some guy who tried to pick my bartender, introducing himself as Blah blah blah.

Some people say it sounds like "yanny" to them, others insist it can't be anything but "laurel."

In my building, it seems like people under 25 are the ones hearing "yanny." Those of us over 30 hear "Laurel." The one guy between 25 and 30, it seems to depend on where I stand in the room when I play it for him on my phone... "Laurel" when I'm within reach, "Yanny" when I'm across the room.

At work all i could hear is Yanny, and at home, Laurel... so speakers also make a difference.

When I listen to this one it sounds like Laurel. When I listen to the one in the link a friend posted on FB, it sounds like Yammy.

I watched some news segment about it and I heard Yanny every time. Of course it was being played on a potato of a phone and recorded in a higher register than the original recording. It sounded like it was played in a tin can. On my computer at the dictionary website it sounds like Laurel every time.