It's 1999 again (Everquest EMU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So apparently my original post on this was deleted during the server Wonkyness last week.
Redoing to the best of my knowlege.

About a month ago I discovered EQEMU. This is a server emulator for Everquest. There are multiple servers, each with thier own little (or major) twists (such as server specific quests, zones, and exp bonues). Most of the server use the content up to at least Planes of Power or LoY (though I beleive there are some that go up to Depth of Darkhollow).

Previously I had been playing on a server that was 5X exp, solo oreinted server (most of the mobs had thier HP reduced, to expidte the soloing, for example, my 70 druid could 1 shot Vox for 1500k). However, the server I had been waiting on went live on Oct 2nd.

Project 1999 is an attempt to recreate Everquest the way it was when it first launched back in 1999. The developers have spent months (if not over a year) working on the database to strip out all of the "new" content (the EMU server uses Everquest Titanium as it's baseline for all servers) and put the adventure back into EQ.

No more books to click on to go from city to city, no more 10 level tutorial. Rubicite, manastone, and Jboots drop again. It returns the feeling of accomplishment when you run from Freeport to Qeynos.

The plan currently is to expand up to Velious and stop there (this is expected to take at least 2 years, similar to the launch time tables back in the Verant days of EQ).

Over the weekend, the population hit a server high at 213 (which is impressive, as the server has code to prevent multi-boxing). Considering that other EQEMU servers top out at 400-500, and it is believe that at least half of those are boxed accounts, this is quite impressive for a new server.

If you are interested, you can find out more here:
http://www.eqemulator.net/
http://www.project1999.org./ (The forum link is a little hard to see, but it is at the top).

C

Cuyval Dar

I'm kinda perma-occupied with SWGEmu, but I fully endorse any and all MMORPG emulation projects. Sounds cool.

M

meyoumeyou

I'd try it if I even had a slight amount of spare time to put into it. Here's to it hopefully not sputtering nor flaming out like many of the EMU's seem to do.

I'd really like to see a server that goes up to Kunark / Velious, that has those solo settings you mentioned.

PoP etc killed the game for me.

Does that exist?

From what I have seen, Most of the Solo servers go to LoY (with a couple now branching out to LDoN as the EQEMU team is recreating that expansion). The popularity of this server may spin off clones, but the limited expanions and exp bonus don't really mix well (even the 3x-5X exp server have issues of people getting to end game content in a couple weeks and then saying "what now").

Everquest went downhill after Velious, if they were able to pull this off sucessfully, that'd be fantastic.

Would I go back to EQ after having been on WoW? Not a chance in a lifetime. Though, still a very nice effort by these developers. :thumb:

P

Pojodan

If I had a group of 3-5 people that I could play with for a couple hours at a time every few days-or-so, I'd absolutely love to get back into old-school Everquest.

Granted, it'll never be completely the same without the random trains in Crushbone, but I could definately see the appeal.

I might want the exp rate to be a tad faster than original, but that's debatable.

The server hit 249 people on last night.

Trust me, the random train in CB are there.

They spent nearly a year getting things as close to classic as possible, and are willing to work with you if you find something that needs to be fixed.

P

Pojodan

Mmm... so tempting.

Anyone want to start up a group? I'd be down with setting up regular play-time.

It's as classic as they could make it based on this information out there (and being unable to modify the EQ Titanium base, so no classic skelly or wolf models).

so yes, Jboots in Najena, Rubicite in Cazic, Manastone in LGuk, 8 slot giant 100% wt reduction box drops off random mobs 35+ (Box of abu-kur or something like that). Note that when Temple of Sol Ro goes live, that will all go away (Same way it happened on live) but that is like 8 months away. Rushing to try to get into the 30's so that I can get some of that.

The Dev's will work with people to modify items that have been changed from classic if you can find the info for them (for example the Gavel of Justice quest in Halas, the Gaval used to be range, but range was dropped later. Pointed this out (with the appropriate links and info) and they have made it range again). People pointed out that Hammer of Wrath gained the +3 Vs undead after SoL, and that was removed from the Hammer of Wrath.

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Send me a tell when you get online. PM me here if you need any help getting setup.

My toon list:
Flint - 13 Warrior
Shambabe - 11 Shaman
Darth - 5 Necro

M

meyoumeyou

Really wish I had the time to invest in this the more I think about it. Though there would admittedly be a big "learning" curve going back to a much more classic version of EQ than the current game I've become used to.

If I really trusted the server would have a long life I would at least have to moonlight as a necro.

Status
Not open for further replies.