It is things like this Google.....

I had the pleasure of studying some of Windsor McCay's work in a Comics & Cartoons course a few years ago. I think he would have been pleased with this take on the work, especially that it plays with the medium.

Using Google voice web interface, you can send texts. I start typing and the usual counter below starts counting down from 160 characters so I know how much is left. I paste in a slightly longer message, and it changes to 2.117, meaning that it'll split it across two messages, and I have 117 left on the second message.

Cool, I think. I'll paste in a whole email.

It changes the counter to Really?

:rofl:

They programmed quite a few entries into that guide.

Glad they cover vogon poetry, surprised that the towel entry was so far back.

Google has an annual contest, Doodle 4 Google, that invites K-12 students in the United States to use their artistic talents to create a Doodle for their home page:

More entries here.

There's a Google Doodle today honoring the 107th birthday of RDML Grace Harper. If you are reading this you owe her a big thanks, she created the first compiler, COBAL, and is responsible for the "bugs" and "debugging" being used in the field of computers.

There's a Google Doodle today honoring the 107th birthday of RDML Grace Harper. If you are reading this you owe her a big thanks, she created the first compiler, COBAL, and is responsible for the "bugs" and "debugging" being used in the field of computers.
I'm proud to say that I actually had a conversation with Admiral Hopper. (Admittedly, I didn't add much to the conversation.) She told me about how she used to carry around a length of wire to show the less technically proficient officers how long a nanosecond was and that's why it took so long to get a signal to and from a satellite.

As for debugging, here's the picture of it from Wikipedia:

I'm proud to say that I actually had a conversation with Admiral Hopper. (Admittedly, I didn't add much to the conversation.) She told me about how she used to carry around a length of wire to show the less technically proficient officers how long a nanosecond was and that's why it took so long to get a signal to and from a satellite.

As for debugging, here's the picture of it from Wikipedia:
I am so happy she taped it into a book and labelled it.

I always wonder what it must have sounded like ... thousands of relays chattering open/closed. Before the valves took over, of course.

--Patrick

Sounds a lot like the old proof machine I had to listen to every day for almost 8 hours straight at work. I do not miss it.

In case anyone cares, here are the solutions to the Google crossword.
googlecrossword.jpg

I ended up putting that last highlighted letter in by going through the alphabet until I got a win message, but the rest I did with no cheating.

I spent about 12min before going to work filling it in, except for a couple words, then I hit the back arrow and got frustrated because I would've had to fill all the rest back in again.
Ah, well.

--Patrick

I spent about 12min before going to work filling it in, except for a couple words, then I hit the back arrow and got frustrated because I would've had to fill all the rest back in again.
Ah, well.

--Patrick
Unless you're totally blocking cookies, you wouldn't. It keeps your progress (I did the same thing).

Unless you're totally blocking cookies, you wouldn't. It keeps your progress (I did the same thing).
I have the browser set to discard cookies between sessions, so when I returned to the page it counted as "new tab."
Eh, I'll run through it again tonight. Kati's been on a crossword binge lately, so since I've been helping her out*, my brain is crossword-primed right now.

--Patrick
*"kibitzing"