[News] Israel will never satisfy its lust for dead women and children

Here's a first hand account of Israel's never-ending mission to fill the Hamas ranks with loyal followers:

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/ori...war-hospitals-filled-bodies-palestinians.html

If it is Hamas that you hate, let me tell you that the people you are killing have nothing to do with Hamas. They are women, children, men and senior citizens whose only concern was for the war to end, so they can return to their lives and daily routines. But let me assure you that you have now created thousands — no, millions — of Hamas loyalists, for we all become Hamas if Hamas, to you, is women, children and innocent families. If Hamas, in your eyes, is ordinary civilians and families, then I am Hamas, they are Hamas and we are all Hamas.
Bodies lay everywhere, and it was if everything in life had been to prepare us for this moment. Suddenly, the dead left their personal lives behind: their cell phones, homes, clothes, perfumes and daily chores. Most importantly, they left the fear of war behind.
Distances in the small Gaza Strip have grown larger, distances and time expanding as a result of the fear and death that shrank the life expectancy of the populace. We were unable to join the family for the funerals. My uncle, Ahmad al-Ghoul, later told me over the phone, “Because of the inherent danger, our goodbyes to them lasted mere seconds

GasBandit

Staff member
When you drain the swamp, you annoy the mosquitos.

By Charlie logic, Hiroshima and Nagasaki should have "filled Hirohito's ranks" that would have dragged out WW2 even longer.

By Charlie logic, Hiroshima and Nagasaki should have "filled Hirohito's ranks" that would have dragged out WW2 even longer.
If there's one thing we've all demonstrated on this forum, it's that we each have a pretty firm grasp on exactly how the world works.
We just all live in different worlds, that's all.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I dunno why I'm stooping to argue with someone comparing human life to mosquitos
Because, hopefully, you understand metaphors, like the rest of us.

And for all your vaunted concern about "human life," you're pretty selective about which human lives you roll out the crocodile tears for.

Also, "homemade rockets" is a misnomer. Try. With instructions from the internet. You'll probably fail, and most likely blow yourself up.

They're being shipped in via tunnels and other smuggling methods from Syria and Iran. So thinking they're "homemade" is... quite fantastic a belief. If I'm wrong, OK, but... link?

I won't even blame media for this one. Where in the hell did you get the idea that they were manufacturing the rockets there???

They are simple rockets, but just about the only industry in Gaza is making Kaytusha or Grad rockets. It is like buying home made cookies at Walmart.

Also, "homemade rockets" is a misnomer. Try. With instructions from the internet. You'll probably fail, and most likely blow yourself up.

They're being shipped in via tunnels and other smuggling methods from Syria and Iran. So thinking they're "homemade" is... quite fantastic a belief. If I'm wrong, OK, but... link?

I won't even blame media for this one. Where in the hell did you get the idea that they were manufacturing the rockets there???
It's also become apparent in the past few weeks that they are trying to buy some from North Korea.

Mea culpa. Homemade was the wrong word / completely inaccurate. It still stands that Israel has FAR more firepower, and by measure of degrees, it's like a bottle rocket versus a .45

Also I am not on Hamas' side, don't get me wrong. The people shooting rockets into Israel are fucking horrible people. The only reason I "go after" Israel is that they're much better at killing people and I am anti-killing people. Also, several people (in this thread included) see Israel as "the good guys", which I think is patently false.

Mea culpa. Homemade was the wrong word / completely inaccurate. It still stands that Israel has FAR more firepower, and by measure of degrees, it's like a bottle rocket versus a .45

Also I am not on Hamas' side, don't get me wrong. The people shooting rockets into Israel are fucking horrible people. The only reason I "go after" Israel is that they're much better at killing people and I am anti-killing people. Also, several people (in this thread included) see Israel as "the good guys", which I think is patently false.
I don't think anyone here thinks that Israel is perfect. Just that given the choices between the two, Israel is the generally more reasonable side.

And wise, I'm sure.

--Patrick
It's accidentally wise. I just don't want to get into explaining why the whole thing is wrong. Unfortunately, I always start writing and then think "Crap, do I really want to jump into this?" The sad part is I keep doing it.

It's accidentally wise. I just don't want to get into explaining why the whole thing is wrong. Unfortunately, I always start writing and then think "Crap, do I really want to jump into this?" The sad part is I keep doing it.
Now you know how I feel in about 90% of the posts on this forum. :okay:

I shoulda known better. I jumped into a Charlie trap with both feet, and now somehow I'M the bad guy, instead of the one that put the needle in a possibly innocent man's arm.

I shoulda known better. I jumped into a Charlie trap with both feet, and now somehow I'M the bad guy, instead of the one that put the needle in a possibly innocent man's arm.
Review your behavior, watch for the signs, be ready for next time.

--Patrick

Update: this will keep happening as long as it is insanely profitable

http://www.haaretz.com/mobile/1.609919?v=8F13CF49D4475B86128120D26FF8D121

“The operation has a potential to promote defense exports, mainly systems that have proven themselves,” says Maj. Gen. (res.) Danny Yatom, who now deals in defense equipment and other business. “The industry will also benefits as the [Israeli] defense establishment rebuilds inventories. Also, in this war we saw that the army has new needs, especially in regards to tunnels. In my opinion, there will now be an accelerated process of development for that. There’s a financial incentive both for the developers and the manufacturers.”

Yatom contends that the course of Operation Protective Edge shows that future weapons systems must be designed to combat guerrilla organizations rather than conventional armies. One example of the likely change is increased demand for thermal-imaging night-vision equipment, rather than the Starlight technology, based on available light, that is currently more common in the IDF. “Thermal-imaging night-vision equipment is not affected by glow of bombs and by urban lighting, so it makes identification easier,” he explains.
He says that despite the criticism being heard about the size of the defense budget, Israel has no choice but to increase the army’s R&D spending. That should be done by channeling profits from the government defense industries into the IDF’s R&D units, he says, rather than handing them over to the Finance Ministry, which funnels this money into the general state budget.
No choice but to increase! Of course!

GasBandit

Staff member

Photo: Tens of thousands of Palestinians march at the funeral of 3 senior Hamas commanders killed in an Israeli air strike in the Gaza strip on Thursday; they were the highest-ranking casualties Hamas has announced since Israel started its offensive 6 weeks ago - @Reuters, @LazSim

But I thought Hamas had no popular support in Gaza?

Just a reminder there is no political solution to the Israel/Palestine problem.

If the arabs all laid down their weapons, there would be peace.
If the Israelis all laid down there weapons, there would be a second holocaust.

I'm not eager to go through 200 posts, but if not you, I'm fairly certain it's been said already the line "Palestinians will kill all Israelis if the air strikes stop"

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not eager to go through 200 posts, but if not you, I'm fairly certain it's been said already the line "Palestinians will kill all Israelis if the air strikes stop"
That's glossing over the point. What the phrase I said means is that the Israelis were willing to coexist, whereas the palestinians (and most of the Arab world for that matter) is very, very not.

You don't think that maybe it's possible if-- the sanctions are lifted, the air strikes stopped, and their lives not resembling a living hell every single day-- that possibly some people might not feel like blowing themselves up in a marketplace is such a good idea? Maybe membership in Hamas might just go down?

Like, you treat them like actual human beings and not animals, and they maybe won't keep responding to violence with violence.

You don't think that maybe it's possible if-- the sanctions are lifted, the air strikes stopped, and their lives not resembling a living hell every single day-- that possibly some people might not feel like blowing themselves up in a marketplace is such a good idea? Maybe membership in Hamas might just go down?

Like, you treat them like actual human beings and not animals, and they maybe won't keep responding to violence with violence.
Tell Egypt to open the border with them and have trade, etc. See how that goes.

Hint: they've tried it. Doesn't end well there either.