[News] Israel will never satisfy its lust for dead women and children

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's my core issue. The right wing of the Israel Military Industrial Complex (brought to you by your US Tax Dollars) and Hamas are probably equally bloodthirsty, but only one of those sides has access to nukes and infinite cruise missiles and fighter jets.
Yes, and so it has been for half a century. And yet the middle east is not a smoldering radioactive crater. I think this speaks to which side can be trusted to show restraint when necessary, and which side does anything within its power to claw the other to death as bloodily and publicly as possible.

Yes, and so it has been for half a century. And yet the middle east is not a smoldering radioactive crater. I think this speaks to which side can be trusted to show restraint when necessary, and which side does anything within its power to claw the other to death as bloodily and publicly as possible.
Eh... I trust Israel to not throw nukes around, but when I think of Israel, I don't really think of 'restraint'. I'm not anti-Israel, but if a cease-fire were ever to be worked out, I don't think Israel would be able to stop themselves from being provoked into opening fire again.

That whole region is just a mess, and I don't think it will ever not be a mess.

We need someone like China (not Russia, and definitely not the US. Someone without a dog in this fight.) to drag both sides to the table, and punch them in the face repeatedly until a deal is struck. With the proviso that any breach by either side will result in multiple kicks to the balls to both.

And I'm talking real, literal punches to the face. In front of TV cameras and everything. with repeated shouts of "the rest of us are sick and tired of your bullshit!" in English, Chinese, Arabic, and Hebrew with every blow.

GasBandit

Staff member
We need someone like China (not Russia, and definitely not the US. Someone without a dog in this fight.) to drag both sides to the table, and punch them in the face repeatedly until a deal is struck. With the proviso that any breach by either side will result in multiple kicks to the balls to both.

And I'm talking real, literal punches to the face. In front of TV cameras and everything. with repeated shouts of "the rest of us are sick and tired of your bullshit!" in English, Chinese, Arabic, and Hebrew with every blow.
You know, I think I could get behind this "leader of the country is held physically accountable for nation's official actions" thing.

You know, I think I could get behind this "leader of the country is held physically accountable for nation's official actions" thing.
I'm pretty sure we already did that with Saddam Hussein. Went on trial, found guilty of crimes against humanity, put to death.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm pretty sure we already did that with Saddam Hussein. Went on trial, found guilty of crimes against humanity, put to death.
Yeah, but we need it for lesser things too. Not just war crimes. Like DA suggested... a sock in the jaw on TV for breaking a treaty.

Yeah, but we need it for lesser things too. Not just war crimes. Like DA suggested... a sock in the jaw on TV for breaking a treaty.
And 535 of them just for being a member of Congress.

Actually, no. 5350 of them. In that case grab 'em by the collar and 10 quick rights to the head.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...alestinian-death-toll-passes-700-live-updates

Israel cannot resist blowing up a UN School holding refugees

At least 15 were killed
in the Israeli strike on a compound housing a U.N. school in the northern Gaza Strip, according to Gaza health officials, the AP reports:
Gaza health official Ashraf al-Kidra says the 15 were among hundreds of people seeking shelter in the school in Beit Hanoun from heavy fighting in the area. At least 150 people were injured.
Thursday's strike is the fourth time a U.N. facility has been hit in fighting between Israel and Palestinian militants in Gaza, which is ruled by the Islamic militant group Hamas. But it's the first time casualties have been reported.​
A CNN correspondent tweets:

Bait Hanoun update: 15 dead, and 70 injured, including critical injuries in strike on UN facility sheltering civilians. Chaos. #Gaza
— benwedeman (@bencnn) July 24, 2014

Ya, because they weren't caught storing rockets for Hamas more than once.

Also, remember in that article how they called Hamas to remove them. Not another UN agency to DESTROY them. No, no, they make sure the terrorists can still (try to) kill Jews with them.

So, UN personnel are providing "safe havens" for Hamas rockets. That's the real story here. Israel went after the weapons cache. Hamas is using innocents as human shields yet again.

Necronic

Staff member
Did you even read that article? Those rockets were found in vacant schools, NOT the one that was hit. And it wasn't the UN storing them. The UN was pissed that this was happening. They were not providing "safe havens" for the rockets. Yes, they didn't destroy them, which is strange, but there are a lot of possible reasons for that, including the fact that they probably are not equipped to do that (UNRWA is not a military organization from what I understand). Also, the UN is not trying to pick sides here, destroying the rockets could actually hurt their ability to safely operate around Hamas. The fact that the staff was immediately evacuated after the discovery only suggests this further.

Look, the UN needs to be more careful with this, and they probably should have destroyed the rockets. But come ON. It was OK to shell a shelter filled with refugees because in the past rockets have been found in other vacant shelters? THAT's your justification?

I'm no fan of Hamas's tactics, and I think they are equally culpable in most of the civilian deaths that have occurred. But it is really hard to blame anyone other than Israel for this specific incident given then current facts. And the fact that the spin is turned up to 11 on this one doesn't help either.

ed
Ban has asked the UN Department of Safety and Security and the UN Mine Action Service to develop and implement a plan for the safe and secure handling of any weapons discovered on UN premises.
take from this what you will. Backs up my argument pretty well from what I can tell.

Necronic

Staff member
Good article. Probably could have done without the comparison to the holocaust.

The problem with his article is that it, and everything it talks about, in no way talks about the settlement issue or the other issues like a lack of legal personhood that the Palestinians are experiencing that put them in such a desperate frame of mind where they are willing to accept Hamas leadership.

I think it's been broadly appreciated over history that when you treat people like this they will quite likely fight back any way possible, even blatantly crossing the line as Hamas has done.

Take for instance the French Revolution. The revolutionaries were temporary heroes at best, monsters at worst. They brutally murdered the aristocracy of their country, and ended up in a totalitarian state no better and possibly far worse than the monarchy they started with, but it was because they had been pushed so far to the breaking point that they did not fight to win hearts and minds, they fought like drowning rats.

It cuts both ways though. The Israelis have, as the author mentioned, been in a stage of siege warfare against unpredictable....well...terrorists, for so long that they have also become desperate, so desperate that they shelled a fucking refugee camp and are trying to blow it off.

I understand both sides in this to a degree. I even understand the accidental shelling. It does happen, fuck the US does it all the time. But we at least pay lip service to "hearts and minds". Patreus made that a core part of our strategy, limiting civilian casualties (even if we did fail spectacularly).

What I don't understand is that I don't even see the lip service to that from Israel. I don't think they care anymore. And I also do NOT understand why the root causes are ignored by Israel. Why aren't they stopping the Wildcat settlements?

They say that Hamas is ultimately responsible for civilian casualties because they use human shields, and I agree with that. But by that same logic aren't they equally responsible for the rockets when they do nothing to stop wildcatters who steal land which then promotes Hamas? What advantage is there to allowing that? I honestly wonder if they aren't doing it at some level simply to provoke Hamas.

At the end of the day everyone loses.

Necronic, you've bought into the hype if you think this is actually about any land EXCEPT everything between the Jordan river and the Mediterranean: aka, all of Israel. Really. The settlements, wildcat or otherwise are excuses. Those in charge want every Jew in that area killed. Or anywhere really. It's that extreme. If you say the things in-between have driven that to them, that may even be true, but the situation now is as extreme as I stated. It's in the Hamas charter. The rest is window-dressing to try and get the worst headlines possible for the human shield thing.

Necronic

Staff member
"Those in charge"

I don't think your average Palestinian actually wants all Israelis dead. Hamas does, absolutely, but I think Hamas has been able to take control of Palestine because of how desperate the Palestinians are. I don't think the Irish wanted the IRA either.

Necronic, you've bought into the hype if you think this is actually about any land EXCEPT everything between the Jordan river and the Mediterranean: aka, all of Israel. Really. The settlements, wildcat or otherwise are excuses. Those in charge want every Jew in that area killed. Or anywhere really. It's that extreme. If you say the things in-between have driven that to them, that may even be true, but the situation now is as extreme as I stated. It's in the Hamas charter. The rest is window-dressing to try and get the worst headlines possible for the human shield thing.
Yes, the people presently in charge are extremists and terrorists. But that is still ignoring the root causes. Hamas came to power in 2006 I think, do you think whatever happened earlier is of no importance? The settlements were a problem before that, undermining Yasser Arafat's authority was important, shortage of water, medicine etc was probably important, hell, they started to build the West Bank Wall well before Hamas governed (2000)! If Hamas has gained more and more influence because all of these things, it's not unreasonable to think that they will lose some of it if Israel compromises on some of those things Hamas will lose some support.
Or maybe things have gone beyond that point. But I think it's clear that if Israel does not want to try any of these solutions, the solution they are choosing is slow extermination of the palestinians (directly but also and mostly by increasingly harsher living conditions)

I'd like to remind everyone that in the past there has already been an offer of peace on the table where Palestine could have persisted as an independent state and Israel would have helped/financed rebuilding the country. Some of the settlements would have been returned as well. Palestine was literally getting almost everything it wanted.

It was rejected because it would have allowed the state of Israel to continue to exist. That's really all you need to know about the conflict at this point.

Necronic

Staff member
Well fuck man I guess Jews should just go and start grabbing land in Germany. Because they were literally Nazis.

Oh wait that's not how it works. And with good reason.

Last edited:

Necronic

Staff member
Getting hung up on the past is tricky over there. Because it cuts both ways, and it cuts hard:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qibya_massacre

How would you feel if the perpetrator of a straight up war crime (Ariel Sharon) was the person offering you an olive branch? I would have a problem with it too. You think he election of Hamas is problematic? How was his election not?

ed: And ironically he might have been the best hope for the peace process over there. What a mess...

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd like to remind everyone that in the past there has already been an offer of peace on the table where Palestine could have persisted as an independent state and Israel would have helped/financed rebuilding the country. Some of the settlements would have been returned as well. Palestine was literally getting almost everything it wanted.

It was rejected because it would have allowed the state of Israel to continue to exist. That's really all you need to know about the conflict at this point.
As far as I'm concerned, when Palestine walked out of that arrangement without so much as even a counteroffer, when it gave them everything they wanted, simply because it removed their cassus belli and forced them to accept that israel would exist, they abdicated all legitimacy and claims to possible nationhood. Palestine no longer exists other than by the sufferance of the conscience of Israel and its allies, and they poke at that hard and often.

There is no Palestine. Palestinians need to get busy assimilating either into Israel or whatever neighboring nation will take them. Oh, what's that? The neighboring Arab nations have intentionally exacerbated the plight of the Palestinians by refusing any and all Palestinian refugees? Well shucky darn, it's almost as if they want the proxy war to continue forever as well!

Palestinians who try assimilating into Israel are in for pretty much the same shitfest they have outside Israel, minus the bombings. If you're of Arab descent, you're assumed to be a criminal and potential terrorist. Not to mention, Hamas considers them traitors. They aren't just using Palestinians as human shields; they "encourage" their participation and support of Hamas, and not in a friendly way.

Necronic

Staff member
As far as I'm concerned, when Palestine walked out of that arrangement without so much as even a counteroffer, when it gave them everything they wanted, simply because it removed their cassus belli and forced them to accept that israel would exist, they abdicated all legitimacy and claims to possible nationhood. Palestine no longer exists other than by the sufferance of the conscience of Israel and its allies, and they poke at that hard and often.

There is no Palestine. Palestinians need to get busy assimilating either into Israel or whatever neighboring nation will take them. Oh, what's that? The neighboring Arab nations have intentionally exacerbated the plight of the Palestinians by refusing any and all Palestinian refugees? Well shucky darn, it's almost as if they want the proxy war to continue forever as well!
Seriously? What other country has ever been treated like this. We didn't treat any of the Axis powers this way regardless of how bad they fucked up (ok we DID nuke japan). People make mistakes, and you don't blame the populace for the sins of its leaders.

Shit Israel has definitely made it's fair share. The very first UN ambassador set to negotiate a truce was assassinated by Jews ffs.

Read up on the Sterm Gang or whatever they were called some time. These assholes actually refused to back the British against the Nazis because they saw both as evil. Does that myopia remind you of another group that makes equally retarded and short sighted statements.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Palestine is not the first country to stop existing. But it is probably one of the more deserving of the fate. Arafat's government was more moderate than Hamas and they're still the ones that walked out of the camp david accords. Gaza (and golan heights for that matter) is a swamp that needed draining, and frankly, I think Israel has been beyond patient and forgiving with having a rogue terrorist state within its own borders.

After all, it's rather poetic that, having denied that Israel should exist for over 50 years now, that Palestine is the one that vanishes instead.

Palestine is not the first country to stop existing. But it is probably one of the more deserving of the fate. Arafat's government was more moderate than Hamas and they're still the ones that walked out of the camp david accords. Gaza (and golan heights for that matter) is a swamp that needed draining, and frankly, I think Israel has been beyond patient and forgiving with having a rogue terrorist state within its own borders.

After all, it's rather poetic that, having denied that Israel should exist for over 50 years now, that Palestine is the one that vanishes instead.
This is basically my opinion. Palestine is a failed state at this point for it's complete unwillingness to engage in political process.

You almost make it sound like it should have its own Tumblr page.

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
I think there is a very poor/superficial understanding of history at play here. And of the reality of politics really. If you think you could dissolve the state of Palestine and the Middle East would go along with it...what fantasy world are you living in?

Or have we given up on talking about reality?

GasBandit

Staff member
What's fantasy is the concept that the rest of the middle east will ever conceptually accept Israel's existence. They have to put up with it because they've learned the hard way they can't kill it by overt force, so they've got to use terrorism and useful foreign sympathy.

I think there is a very poor/superficial understanding of history at play here. And of the reality of politics really. If you think you could dissolve the state of Palestine and the Middle East would go along with it...what fantasy world are you living in?

Or have we given up on talking about reality?
Israel has already proven that it can do whatever the hell it wants back during the Six Day War. If Egypt (it's neighbor and one of the strongest militaries in the region) couldn't do shit to them and was in fact curb stomped, do you really think anyone else will fare better? Not to mention that it's an open secret that Israel has nukes and is prepared to level the entire region if it looks like they might cease to exist. So no... they won't do ANYTHING to Israel.

Necronic

Staff member
Reality is an illusion. Middle-East reality doubly so.
Tell that to the millions living there. Sure the borders were arbitrary and made up (as are Israels), but people live there and they have views.

What's fantasy is the concept that the rest of the middle east will ever conceptually accept Israel's existence. They have to put up with it because they've learned the hard way they can't kill it by overt force, so they've got to use terrorism and useful foreign sympathy.
And yet now here you are saying that they should just except the nonexistence of Palestine? Do you not see the irony there? Neither are realistic solutions.

Sure, Palestinian leaders screwed up bad by not accepting the peace deal back in the 60s. But people in glass houses should not throw stones. As has been mentioned before there is enough blood to go around, both sides have made horrendous mistakes.[DOUBLEPOST=1406303625,1406303284][/DOUBLEPOST]
Israel has already proven that it can do whatever the hell it wants back during the Six Day War. If Egypt (it's neighbor and one of the strongest militaries in the region) couldn't do shit to them and was in fact curb stomped, do you really think anyone else will fare better? Not to mention that it's an open secret that Israel has nukes and is prepared to level the entire region if it looks like they might cease to exist. So no... they won't do ANYTHING to Israel.
Boy you're doing a real good job making the Israelis look like the good guys here.

Also, if you really think that Israel could stand against a sustained massed military uprising from multiple middle eastern players then you are...well. America could barely beat the Taliban. An organized military strike backed with religious popular approval from multiple members of the middle east would leave millions dead on both sides. You think the threat of nukes would stop them? Israel would have to deploy those nukes. I don't see anyone being a victor in that.

There is a different between winning and not losing. America would never lose to the Taliban, that's insane. And Israel probably wouldn't lose against a massed uprising in the middle east. But they sure as hell wouldn't win.

Honestly I doubt theres any real solution here other than continuous violence. I just don't see how anything else can happen. Probably not nuclear war, because no one wants that, but just non-stop, continual death and destruction.

GasBandit

Staff member
And yet now here you are saying that they should just except the nonexistence of Palestine? Do you not see the irony there? Neither are realistic solutions.
The difference is Israel has the wherewithal to make it happen. Like I said, there is only a Palestine right now because Israel thinks it'd be less of a hassle for them to try a little appeasement. Obviously their patience is wearing thin. One must wonder how long before a complete change in opinion, and there no longer is any Palestinian land at all. Who would stop it? Unless Russia decided to get involved, there's practically nobody willing to repeat Egypt's mistake, especially since it'll definitely drag the US in.

Sure, Palestinian leaders screwed up bad by not accepting the peace deal back in the 60s. But people in glass houses should not throw stones. As has been mentioned before there is enough blood to go around, both sides have made horrendous mistakes.
Oh, Palestinian leadership has done a lot worse a lot more recently. The treaty Ash and I were talking about that Arafat walked away from was in 2000. It's been a rising scale of terrorism and media manipulation ever since.

Necronic

Staff member
And this is because there are players involved in the argument that are actively supporting Palestine with arms because they benefit from an Israel that is always keeping its eyes on Palestine rather than elsewhere.

If Hamas didn't have rockets from outside their borders, they wouldn't have been able to provoke Israel in this way, and this current conflagration wouldn't exist.

Israel has some support, yes, but they could and would be totally self-sufficient in providing their own defense if they had to be. They are a nation that is self sustaining.

Palestine isn't. They only exist because others outside their borders continue to supply and fund them. They are not able to sustain themselves, and not only in defense but in taking care of their own people.
I wouldn't call Israel self sustaining. We give more money and military aid to them than any other country in the world. They exist as a remora on the US military industrial complex. This isn't to say that they wouldn't be able to self sustain from here on, I think they would in some form, but they get like half their military budget directly from us, not to mention the favorable arms deals we have with them.

Your points abou Plaestine are completely correct as well though, they exist militarily solely through donations from outside parties as well. But instead of being backed by the US, the strongest military and economy in the entire world, they are backed by Jordan/Syria/shithole countries.

It's a real David vs Goliath situation, except in this version David is a total asshole who uses civilian casualties and human shields instead of a sling.