Somebody gave me a new computer. It has:
  • CPU Core i5 4460
  • 2 GB RAM 1333 Mhz
  • Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81M-H
My current system is:
  • CPU Core i5 2500k
  • 8 GB RAM 1600 Mhz
  • Motherboard ASUS B75M
I was thinking taking the motherboard and cpu from the new computer to my current pc. I was wondering if I would notice any diference between the two setups.

Somebody gave me a new computer. It has:
  • CPU Core i5 4460
  • 2 GB RAM 1333 Mhz
  • Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81M-H
My current system is:
  • CPU Core i5 2500k
  • 8 GB RAM 1600 Mhz
  • Motherboard ASUS B75M
I was thinking taking the motherboard and cpu from the new computer to my current pc. I was wondering if I would notice any diference between the two setups.
If your 2500K is overclocked, not really. If it isn't, well, probably, yes. Slightly stronger overall, newer and thus more compatible with some newer games, and more energy-efficient.

Don't know nothing about the motherboards, honestly, though you'd have to switch that over as well because of the infrastructure differences. Make sure their MB can handle your other stuff (number of memory sticks, same type of audio connectors, what have you).

In the beginning it was overclocked, then my motherboard died and then I could find a replacement that supports it.

The two sockets are different, so you'd have to move the processor and motherboard over together as a unit.
Once you're done moving everything over and reinstalling Windows, though, you'll have a system that consumes ~10% less power but only gives you 2.5% more performance.
Gonna maybe have to be careful about the just-discovered Haswell bug, though.

--Patrick

Last edited:
It's not worth replacing your current system.

Set up as a second one, or file or media server/center, though...

Yeah. Unless that 2500K system is not working at all (which I wonder, given your comment about how the motherboard died), you won't really gain a huge benefit from moving to the newer system UNLESS you have something that can take full advantage of the faster PCIe v3.0 speed.

--Patrick

Today started a five days weeked for us, so I have time to play with this new pc. So, where do I start for this media center pc?

Today started a five days weeked for us, so I have time to play with this new pc. So, where do I start for this media center pc?
I think Kodi is probably the best place to start. There are others, like Plex, but they are not as mature or require money for more nice features. So far Kodi (used to be XBMC) is mature, free, user friendly, and common.

It's very configurable, so you may end up having to spend some time on customization, but once done you should be pretty pleased with the result.

I haven't watched this whole video, but a quick perusal should give you an idea of what's involved: