Is this a scam?

Anyone know about a company called Marketsource, got a call from them randomly about how they saw my resume online and want to know if i could interview for a HP Rep job for local Best Buys, but it all just seems sketchy, googled it and there are reports of it being a scam but those are rebutted by other posts but the other posts seem kind of like those that would be put out by the army of drones.

This feels really shady, maybe shego can use her super google/stalker skills to see if she can pull up some stuff. All the negative stuff I see is on rip off report but thats the only site I can find with shit about them.

GasBandit

Staff member
when you start typing "marketsource" into google, the first thing that comes up as an autocomplete suggestion is "marketsource scam." That should tell you something right there.

C

Chibibar

unless you apply for them initially, it is a scam. (the headhunter site)

Yeah. Apparently they are the ones that do provide reps for HP to Best Buy, a buddy that works at Best Buy confirmed this but that's really all he knew about it. From the shit on rip off report though it seems like they dick people over by randomly changing schedules and calling you to come in and having you drive to stores hours away without gas or travel pay.

They want me to interview with "Tim Latendresse – Territory Manager HP US Retail" tomorrow night, hut upon searching him I find no connection to hewlett packard, but his phone number does match up with
Added at: 16:51
his location on facebook but yeah basically sounds shady as fuck and I am going to write them a lengthy email after classes are done.

also I fucking hate the browser on my TouchPad because it won't let me edit my post when I accidently bumped submit.

yeah basically sounds shady as fuck and I am going to write them a lengthy email after classes are done.
Oh shit. They're in trouble now. Better hide, scammy fuckers, a strongly worded negative email is headed your way.

[De-snarked: don't bother with the email, they won't care]

Yeah I saw that, I have people on facebook telling me I should take the interview / job anyways and just quit if it sucks but I think why the fuck waste my time with some asshole company... so I just sent them an email telling them I was not interested in the interview.

Likely completely legit, they just fuck you over.

Companies that contact folks out of the blue tend to do that because they're basically contracted to fill high-churn positions on short notice. Insurance companies in particular like doing that.

For them it's all a numbers game, so they don't give a shit if you stay a month then leave pissed off.

Not all headhunters are light-experience-and-up placement agencies, especially in large potential labor-force areas. In the Tri-State, we have headhunters for pretty much every possible level.

So many insurance companies in my area do this for phone sales positions. 3rd-party headhunter sends you emails/vmail about [insert position your skillset is perfect for!] and tell you to come to [insert location], and then you get there and it turns out its for insurance.

The churn is so high, the base pay so low, and the call script so polished, that all they need are enough warm bodies to hit that 0.5% conversion number, and they're done. They basically prey on minimum-wage workers who want to get out of their retail job and who aren't experienced enough to understand how sales commissions work.

N

Not an Idiot

You are an idiot for not going. This company pays about 15/hr working 20 hrs a week. Completely legit. I worked there for 2 years. One of the best jobs I've ever had. Not a scam at all. They are just a marketing company. Large clients(HP, T-mobile, Samsung, etc) hire them to drive sales in a retail environment.

I'm not sure an anonymous reply calling the OP an idiot for not going to something that sounds iffy is going to sway anyone in here thats it's super legit all the sudden... :facepalm:

C

Chibibar

I'm not sure an anonymous reply calling the OP an idiot for not going to something that sounds iffy is going to sway anyone in here thats it's super legit all the sudden... :facepalm:
I say trolling cause if it was legit, the person posting wouldn't be anonymous ;)

Yeah. Apparently they are the ones that do provide reps for HP to Best Buy, a buddy that works at Best Buy confirmed this but that's really all he knew about it. From the shit on rip off report though it seems like they dick people over by randomly changing schedules and calling you to come in and having you drive to stores hours away without gas or travel pay.

They want me to interview with "Tim Latendresse – Territory Manager HP US Retail" tomorrow night, hut upon searching him I find no connection to hewlett packard, but his phone number does match up with
his location on facebook but yeah basically sounds shady as fuck and I am going to write them a lengthy email after classes are done.

also I fucking hate the browser on my TouchPad because it won't let me edit my post when I accidently bumped submit.

F

Former HP Rep

Anyone know about a company called Marketsource, got a call from them randomly about how they saw my resume online and want to know if i could interview for a HP Rep job for local Best Buys, but it all just seems sketchy, googled it and there are reports of it being a scam but those are rebutted by other posts but the other posts seem kind of like those that would be put out by the army of drones.

This feels really shady, maybe shego can use her super google/stalker skills to see if she can pull up some stuff. All the negative stuff I see is on rip off report but thats the only site I can find with shit about them.

I know this reply is months late but this is for people who come across this thread in the future. Its not a scam, I worked as an HP Rep for Marketsource for about 6 months. I worked for two best buys within 10 minutes from my house, and I worked at 3 officemax stores and 1 staples. Best buy is considered the "base store" where you work at for 5 hours each on the weekend ( i had one on Saturday and the other on Sunday). On the weekends my main priority was to boost HP sales by helping out customers in the Computer section. During the week I had to do employee store training for two hours at each store. Basically keep Best Buy employees up to date on HP products. Same thing at Staples and Office Max, train the employees, but that was only once a month. Its a super part time job, but they pay was decent. It was actually a cool little ob, nothing to try to live off of. Now here were my issues with it.. I interviewed with the district manager, and after working for like 2 weeks, he was no longer the district manager. I found that to be odd but I shrugged it off. So i worked under an interim DM from another district til another DM was hired for my district. They hired a new guy about a month later...then another month later he was no longer the DM. Im like ok, wtf is going on that they cant keep management??? So at that point i stopped taking the job seriously. the DM was supposed to check on me at the store- never happened. So it was almost liked i worked for best buy. The job required me to do a lot of reports, and participate in a conference call every saturday morning, with actually HP managers. And you had to stay updated with training for HP products. But on the flip side HP sent me alot of cool stuff. Pens, usb drives, mini flashlights, an orange HP bucket full of candy for Halloween..my best buy "co-workers" looked forward to get this, they called it "swag" lol. And we had exclusive events, like free midnight screening for transformers 3 with free food, and giveaways. So all in all it was a cool job. 100% legit. just iffy management.

Since the thread was necro'ed by someone else anyway...

Speaking as a former Best Buy employee, I hated -- HATED -- most vendor reps. As "Former HP Rep" said, they were basically there to help customers, but most of them were fucking idiots that would end up pissing the customers off, and all the backlash would fall on the Best Buy sales team. Needless to say, turnover for those positions was extremely high.

Indeed it is a real company. But a ripoff just the same. Cheat you on your hours. Learn by trial and error, then get a "warning" when you make a mistake. I worked in Jacksonville, FL, for a jerk named Bill Burgess. He fired his number one sales manager after spreading a rumor that this guy was stealing cell phones. I do not know the real reason for his termination but I worked at that store and did inventories of cell phones daily. There were NO missing cell phones.