Is it art if I...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, rather, would it be considered my work of art if I had an idea but made somebody else do the actual piece for me (guiding him etc.)?

You see, whenever I go to a museum, I get the URGE to do some art (paintings or sculptures). The trouble is I can't sculpt, and I couldn't paint to save my life...

But, in a recent trip, I saw a piece at the Tate Modern in london that was one of those "found object art" things. A dude (I don't remember his name right now) picked up various old metal pieces and thought of a way of using them to create a sculpture... but the actual welding (is that the right verb?) was done by another guy.

Since then, I've had two ideas, one for some little modern sculptorical art and the other one for a very... freudian painting wich came form an automatic association of ideas while I was waking up yesterday.

So, what do you think about this? Do you know if there's any "official policies" about this in the artistic world?

You're new to the idea of conceptual art? ;-)

Art is art by the one visualising the concept, not by the one doing the actual work. Heck, even the classics didn't do everything themselves, to be honest.
Anyway, it's perfeclty OK to just put an outline of an idea on paper, and have someone else realize it. It's still your art.

Erm... I saw SEVERAL (well, maybe 3 or 4) of those at Tate Modern that day ;)

Mostly sculpture though! I guess it is more acceptable with it because there can be complications beyond the simple ability of the artist (i.e. technical knowledge necessary or whatevs).

Status
Not open for further replies.