Is Healthcare a Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding population distribution in Canada, of course trade has something to do with it, but have you ever been to the north? The only reason Canada goes up so far is because there's nobody else who wants that freaking land. Russia looks very similar. As do the countries that make up Scandinavia.
Haven't you been watching the news? Every country with even the smallest claim to the north has been sending ships and troops up there because of the significant mineral/oil claims there. Plus a safe northwest passage could be very lucrative.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, in the last year. I think it takes longer than that to populate an area. ;)[/QUOTE]

Basically this.

You're going to see the population shift a little bit towards the north in the next few decades, but no matter how hearty a people we are, it is simply easier to live in the southern areas of the country.

There's oil there? Great! Let's build a town around it.

Where do we get the lumber? And, how much farmland is in Nunavut anyways? How easy is it to maintain highways and other travel links? And what other industries are around that can contribute to a population growth? I can't think of many. The only other one that makes sense to me is Whaling, and well ... for some reason we don't like the sound of that.[/QUOTE]
How about Server Farms and Data Centers? With constant cold temperatures I bet they could run real efficient.

I really hope people stay away from North Vancouver Island.

I love Tofino. great place to surf in December. Last time I went it was already far more crowded then when I first started going there.

Not to mention that people tend to move to were people already live. Unless you're one of the crazy hippies that already lives in Uclulet or Tofino.

Canada's population is not just concentrated along the border. It is also far more crowded along the border and at the coast.
I just got back from Tofino on a week long vacation :) Love the diving too.

A

Armadillo

Ok then...if climate is one of the main drivers for why not many people live in northern canada and not trade, why is northern Vancouver Island so sparsely populated?
It's close to Vancouver?

(Sorry, I'm a diehard Minnesota Wild fan.)[/QUOTE]

Wild fans exist? Hmmm, the North Stars I can understand, but not the Wild.[/QUOTE]

Eight-season sellout streak, including pre- and post-season. Besides, the Wild have been better than the North Stars ever could have dreamt of, excluding the Cup Finals runs in '81 and '91.

Ok then...if climate is one of the main drivers for why not many people live in northern canada and not trade, why is northern Vancouver Island so sparsely populated?
It's close to Vancouver?

(Sorry, I'm a diehard Minnesota Wild fan.)[/QUOTE]

Wild fans exist? Hmmm, the North Stars I can understand, but not the Wild.[/QUOTE]

Eight-season sellout streak, including pre- and post-season. Besides, the Wild have been better than the North Stars ever could have dreamt of, excluding the Cup Finals runs in '81 and '91.[/QUOTE]

But where's the legends like Bill Masterson, Cesare Maniago (From my home town), Dino Cicarelli, Gump Worsley...

Basically this.

You're going to see the population shift a little bit towards the north in the next few decades, but no matter how hearty a people we are, it is simply easier to live in the southern areas of the country.

Where do we get the lumber? And, how much farmland is in Nunavut anyways? How easy is it to maintain highways and other travel links? And what other industries are around that can contribute to a population growth? I can't think of many. The only other one that makes sense to me is Whaling, and well ... for some reason we don't like the sound of that.
How about Server Farms and Data Centers? With constant cold temperatures I bet they could run real efficient.[/QUOTE]

That would probably be good, but there are the other problems: with the cost of construction, transportation, and the fact that you'll have to ship all your food all the way up ... even if it would be great for those sorts of things, it would probably be too expensive (both for whatever business and prospective employees) and uncomfortable for anyone to bother.

Basically this.

Where do we get the lumber? And, how much farmland is in Nunavut anyways? How easy is it to maintain highways and other travel links? And what other industries are around that can contribute to a population growth? I can't think of many. The only other one that makes sense to me is Whaling, and well ... for some reason we don't like the sound of that.
How about Server Farms and Data Centers? With constant cold temperatures I bet they could run real efficient.[/quote]

That would probably be good, but there are the other problems: with the cost of construction, transportation, and the fact that you'll have to ship all your food all the way up ... even if it would be great for those sorts of things, it would probably be too expensive (both for whatever business and prospective employees) and uncomfortable for anyone to bother.[/QUOTE]

Google's already doing that - cooling system-less servers meant for the northern climates. They've really worked hard to make their servers hands-off, remote monitoring, and load shedding/balancing so no need to have people around.

-Adam

GasBandit

Staff member
Socks and Barney - I don't always agree with them, but they usually make me chuckle and often bring up things I hadn't considered -

Google's already doing that - cooling system-less servers meant for the northern climates. They've really worked hard to make their servers hands-off, remote monitoring, and load shedding/balancing so no need to have people around.

-Adam
Awesome, and that sort of helps my point. The area is good for that sort of work, but Google is putting all this effort into not cursing poor humans to live in that place.

-Adam
Awesome, and that sort of helps my point. The area is good for that sort of work, but Google is putting all this effort into not cursing poor humans to live in that place.[/quote]

Eh, it's a double edged sword. If it's not a fun place to live, then there aren't many people there, which means that the electricity and internet costs are going to be higher, and the servers will be further from the users who will actually use them.

-Adam

JCM, is that chart made like that so we are forced to look at the numbers? Egads, those circles are goofy to look at.

D

Deschain

Someone has probably already made this joke, but no, it's a left thing.

B

BoringMetaphor

Does anyone else think the concentration on the healthcare debate is absolute idiocy?

America will change its healthcare system, it has to, the costs associated with it are so much more than other countries and are continuing to rise. Certainly other countries' systems aren't the best and are also facing rising costs, but no one to the degree of America. There's simply no question that a change must occur.

Yet the debate has consumed the nation! When there are much more important threats to deal with, like Iran, Iraq, like whatever environmental changes are occurring, like Afghanistan, like Pakistan (!), any of number of MUCH MORE crucial problems for the world and thus the US position in it, why on earth would the republicans, or anyone, decide to focus the nation on something like healthcare?

It boggles my mind. There's is no "good" solution in stopping the healthcare debate from progressing. Stopping change from occurring here is not a success. Making this an issue which will get the Democrats/Obama out of office is not a success. This might get the Republicans re-elected, but it will destroy the United States in the process. Plus make the world really shitty for the rest of us.

J

JCM

Does anyone else think the concentration on the healthcare debate is absolute idiocy?

America will change its healthcare system, it has to, the costs associated with it are so much more than other countries and are continuing to rise. Certainly other countries' systems aren't the best and are also facing rising costs, but no one to the degree of America. There's simply no question that a change must occur.

Yet the debate has consumed the nation! When there are much more important threats to deal with, like Iran, Iraq, like whatever environmental changes are occurring, like Afghanistan, like Pakistan (!), any of number of MUCH MORE crucial problems for the world and thus the US position in it, why on earth would the republicans, or anyone, decide to focus the nation on something like healthcare?

It boggles my mind. There's is no "good" solution in stopping the healthcare debate from progressing. Stopping change from occurring here is not a success. Making this an issue which will get the Democrats/Obama out of office is not a success. This might get the Republicans re-elected, but it will destroy the United States in the process. Plus make the world really shitty for the rest of us.
I find the hilarity of not bitching when its tax cuts, military spending and Iraq war

But... but... death panels are going to kill my grandma [durr]

But... but... death panels are going to kill my grandma [durr]
I wouldn't worry about that.[/QUOTE]

I love how the right wing took "living will" and turned it into "death panels".

BTW, Is this whole "fuck anyone who isn't me" attitude that is becoming prevelant in the US bothering anyone as much as it bothers me?[/QUOTE]

It's because we're a two party system, making every election a "Us Vs THEM" fight. If we had multiple parties, it wouldn't be so bad. Nothing would get done (still :rolleyes:) but the antagonism would die down.

Status
Not open for further replies.