"Intro to IT" class

So, I'm taking a class at the moment. I'm going to let you guess what kind. Anyway, today I built my first website in a few years - just good old Hello World stuff in html. Over the coming days we'll be dipping our toes into a lot of things, though all very very shallow. "Setting up a server" turned out to be "download and install MAMP", so, you know. Css, PHP, they'll all pass. Anyway, I do need to choose an IDE and find a topic to write a website about.
As for an IDE, most of the class is using Sublime or Atom, I settled on RJ TextEd for the moment. If anyone wants to give a sensible suggestion, tomorrow's pretty much the last day I want to switch. Free, easy, fit for this basic task and not needlessly opaque or advanced.
As for a topic, I'm all out of ideas. Any SFW suggestions welcome.

I always use to use Notepad, and recently upgraded to Notepad++ for my site design work - though my current host uses a bare bones enough editor to just do my work in their ControlPanel. As for the subject, maybe a favored author/musician/artist or something?

I always use to use Notepad, and recently upgraded to Notepad++ for my site design work - though my current host uses a bare bones enough editor to just do my work in their ControlPanel. As for the subject, maybe a favored author/musician/artist or something?
Agreed. Choose a non-controversial author (that's occasionally hard, but just google before you finalize) that you like and do a site about their works. Seems fairly straightforward.

As for your editor of choice - if you're just looking for the whole "text editor but on steriods" kind of thing (and don't need a full-function IDE with debugger, etc) then:

On Windows, UltraEdit.
On Mac, BBEdit.

These may not actually be the best ones for what you want (or how you do things), but IMO they're the ones you should be comparing everything else against.

--Patrick

BBedit is nice. I like TextWrangler too.
I liked BBEdit Lite better, and actually bristled a bit when TextWrangler replaced it, but by then I had also just upgraded to the full BBEdit product instead, which was a good thing because TextWrangler doesn't work with 10.13 and newer, and as such has been discontinued.

--Patrick