[Question] International Travel

So, I've planned a trip with my friend Raye to Japan, in September.

I feel like we have everything under control - passports, hotel, plane tickets, researching areas (things to do) - but I would still really appreciate travel advice, experiences from people who have done international travel before. Just things I can and should expect.

Having never been out of my country, I'm curious what advice people would give a first timer. Please and thank you!

So, I've planned a trip with my friend Raye to Japan, in September.

I feel like we have everything under control - passports, hotel, plane tickets, researching areas (things to do) - but I would still really appreciate travel advice, experiences from people who have done international travel before. Just things I can and should expect.

Having never been out of my country, I'm curious what advice people would give a first timer. Please and thank you!

I went on a Japan trip last year for a few days and I have some tips.

1. There will be some English, not not always as much as you'd like- I don't know if you speak Japanese or not (or your friend), but keep this in mind. I got away with it a bit when I went to Japan, because despite not speaking Japanese, I could read most of the Kanji (i.e. Chinese characters) to navigate. If you do need help in English, most younger Japanese should have at least a basic concept of the language. If you hit a restaurant to discover your waiter/waitress doesn't speak any English (like the Osaka waitress at an Italian restaurant I went to), pointing at a menu usually suffices. They'll also likely now common words like coke, beer, water, etc. Normally I wouldn't even mention such a thing, but I saw too many fresh off the boat westerners in China that seemed bewildered on how to properly order a meal in a language they don't speak, I feel like I should mention it.
I would also suggest looking up how to do simple things that you might have given a lot of thought to. For example, do you know how to purchase a subway ticket at a station? When I got off the train from the airport in Osaka to get to my hotel downtown, the subway ticket machine was a bit more intimidating than I'd like to admit. The one's in China were easier to use (and had English if you needed it) but the one I had to use in Osaka was rather lacking in any sort of instruction that wasn't Japanese. I figured it out, but I wish I had known the general idea before I had gotten there. It also just helps to be observant and just watch what other people are doing. Figure out little things like bus routes, subways routes etc before you get there so you have a good idea about what you're doing so if you do get in a situation where limited English is a factor, you'll have a bit more for the person trying to help you to go on. Have addresses of your place of stay or places you want to visit in English and Japanese as well. Make mental checks of landmarks as you're walking around. Too many streets looked the same when I was Japan and it was easy to get lost.

2. Walking Tours are actually a great idea
I'm usually hugely adverse to tour groups because I don't like being led around and I hate even more being herded around with a bunch of people. That being said, I was able to find agencies in Osaka that were also providing a full day walking tour in Kyoto for a reasonable price for only my friend and I and a tour guide--which eliminated many of my hangups about tour guides in the first place.. It made the whole day a lot better because we were able to see a huge chunk of the city a lot faster and easier than if we had tried to do so on our own. Look into them if you feel like you want to see as many places as you can in an efficient manner.

3. If you're going to buy things, know what you can take through customs- Most things are going to be fine going in and out of customs control, but certain things like alcohol, for instance, might have limits on the size or number you can bring in/out of the country.

4. Make sure you have cash- Credit cards are widely accepted in Japan like they are in the U.S., but always carry some cash on you. Asia is one of those places where people still prefer to pay with money instead of card, and you'll never know when you won't be able to swipe your card. Plus, you'll also want to make sure you have enough cash on you for at least a subway ticket or taxi back to your hotel. Also research ahead and see if the bank you use in the US has any branches in whatever city in Japan you're going to if you want to withdraw cash while abroad. I had to do the same thing when I needed some money and ended up finding a Bank of China branch.

Uhm, I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting. If you had any specific questions, feel free to ask. Oh yeah, have fun!

Well, for one thing, don't expect "abroad" to be one big thing. You can expect different things travelling to Japan than you can from travelling to Botswana :p I'm sure you know, I'm just making fun of you here.

Anyway, in Japan, you can expect most young people to understand a bit of English...But certainly not all of them, and certainly not a huge percentage of older people. Though it also depends where in Japan you're going - big differences between cities and more touristy places vs more rural places.
Try to learn at LEAST the basic 5 or 6 phrases (thank you, sorry, hello, good bye,...) in a native language. You may think "sorry" is the same worldwide but I know people who wouldn't understand the word. Being able to apologize is important (in the "sorry, I don't speak you language" or "sorry, I didn't know this was bad/wrong/illegal/improper/against etiquette/abnormal here" way). It'll also get you a lot of leeway and respect in most places; trying is often enough to get "locals" to warm to you.

Be aware of local customs. Don't expect them to be the same "all over" - what's normal in Tokyo might not be in Kyoto. The USA is a huge country and culturally fairly homogeneous - even so, I think you can understand you'd behave/dress differently in New York than you would in southern Alabama. Such differences in opinion can be found much clsoer together than that as well, certainly outside the USA.

Don't act arrogant or expect other people to know what you mean/want/intent. It may seem blindingly obvious to you, but not to them - some people aren't used to foreigners, and even the most clear and obvious things may be completely weird and foreign to them. As a silly but, I think, telling example, there are a few cultures (not in Japan though :p) where an "arrow" is actually interpreted the other way around. "-> " would be considered "look left" - since it's seen as an open eye, looking to the left, instead of a line "pointing" towards the right.

Anything could be weird or different. You're tall, pink, and red haired. Expect to be stared at if you end up in places where westerners aren't common. I've been in places in Africa where we were amongst the first white people they ever saw. Children were groping our hair because it was straight instead of curly etc. Very movielike and shit. Our skin didn't really faze them or surprise them, but our hair! Heh.

Anyway, try not to be too much of the stereotypical tourist. Also, try to not mind being taken advantage of (a bit). Especially poor people abroad tend to think Western people are "rich". Even though we aren't, we often are, comparatively. Not really applicable to Japan, I guess, but sometimes, it's not worth haggling or protesting...paying 10 cents more for some tidbit doesn't harm you, and it may mean the difference between food or no food for someone elsewhere. On the other hand, don't let them get away with clear rip-offs, and do'nt be afraid to just get up and go elsewhere if you have the feeling you're in danger or being taken advantage of. Especially as a woman, sadly.

Well, for one thing, don't expect "abroad" to be one big thing. You can expect different things travelling to Japan than you can from travelling to Botswana :p I'm sure you know, I'm just making fun of you here.

Anyway, in Japan, you can expect most young people to understand a bit of English...But certainly not all of them, and certainly not a huge percentage of older people. Though it also depends where in Japan you're going - big differences between cities and more touristy places vs more rural places.
Try to learn at LEAST the basic 5 or 6 phrases (thank you, sorry, hello, good bye,...) in a native language. You may think "sorry" is the same worldwide but I know people who wouldn't understand the word. Being able to apologize is important (in the "sorry, I don't speak you language" or "sorry, I didn't know this was bad/wrong/illegal/improper/against etiquette/abnormal here" way). It'll also get you a lot of leeway and respect in most places; trying is often enough to get "locals" to warm to you.

Be aware of local customs. Don't expect them to be the same "all over" - what's normal in Tokyo might not be in Kyoto. The USA is a huge country and culturally fairly homogeneous - even so, I think you can understand you'd behave/dress differently in New York than you would in southern Alabama. Such differences in opinion can be found much clsoer together than that as well, certainly outside the USA.

Don't act arrogant or expect other people to know what you mean/want/intent. It may seem blindingly obvious to you, but not to them - some people aren't used to foreigners, and even the most clear and obvious things may be completely weird and foreign to them. As a silly but, I think, telling example, there are a few cultures (not in Japan though :p) where an "arrow" is actually interpreted the other way around. "-> " would be considered "look left" - since it's seen as an open eye, looking to the left, instead of a line "pointing" towards the right.

Anything could be weird or different. You're tall, pink, and red haired. Expect to be stared at if you end up in places where westerners aren't common. I've been in places in Africa where we were amongst the first white people they ever saw. Children were groping our hair because it was straight instead of curly etc. Very movielike and shit. Our skin didn't really faze them or surprise them, but our hair! Heh.

Anyway, try not to be too much of the stereotypical tourist. Also, try to not mind being taken advantage of (a bit). Especially poor people abroad tend to think Western people are "rich". Even though we aren't, we often are, comparatively. Not really applicable to Japan, I guess, but sometimes, it's not worth haggling or protesting...paying 10 cents more for some tidbit doesn't harm you, and it may mean the difference between food or no food for someone elsewhere. On the other hand, don't let them get away with clear rip-offs, and do'nt be afraid to just get up and go elsewhere if you have the feeling you're in danger or being taken advantage of. Especially as a woman, sadly.
Yeah, everything Bubble said too.

It's been a loooong time since I've traveled out of the country, and I've never been to Japan, but just some off-the-cuff advice:
-Tell your doctor you're going on a trip and where. (S)He may have country-specific advice for you, and you may want to make sure you have sufficient medication before you leave (if you're taking anything) since finding, say, a rescue inhaler in Japan may be difficult.
-Tell your bank/credit card company! One of the things you definitely DON'T want to happen on vacation is for your bank to decide that use in Japan must mean it's stolen and so they've "helpfully" canceled your card and sent a new one to your home address.
-Similarly, make sure your bills get paid while you're gone. Also don't accidentally spend too much money while on vacation and cause those bills to not get paid.
-Make sure your cell phone company (assuming you are bringing cell phones) knows you're in another country. Roaming charges can give you SERIOUS sticker shock. Either get a temporary travel plan, or just go wifi-only.
-When you pack, leave room in your suitcase for the knickknacks you're GOING to get. You know you will. Then try to limit yourself to only that much space.

--Patrick

It's been a loooong time since I've traveled out of the country, and I've never been to Japan, but just some off-the-cuff advice:
-Tell your doctor you're going on a trip and where. (S)He may have country-specific advice for you, and you may want to make sure you have sufficient medication before you leave (if you're taking anything) since finding, say, a rescue inhaler in Japan may be difficult.
-Tell your bank/credit card company! One of the things you definitely DON'T want to happen on vacation is for your bank to decide that use in Japan must mean it's stolen and so they've "helpfully" canceled your card and sent a new one to your home address.
-Similarly, make sure your bills get paid while you're gone. Also don't accidentally spend too much money while on vacation and cause those bills to not get paid.
-Make sure your cell phone company (assuming you are bringing cell phones) knows you're in another country. Roaming charges can give you SERIOUS sticker shock. Either get a temporary travel plan, or just go wifi-only.
-When you pack, leave room in your suitcase for the knickknacks you're GOING to get. You know you will. Then try to limit yourself to only that much space.

--Patrick
You might also be able to get a temporary SIM card for cheap as well to use.

If you are flying direct then you can ignore this, but if you have connecting flights when you are coming back you will need some time.

It can take >1hr to get off the plane, get your bags (all of them), go through customs, re-check your bags, and go back through security. So, if you haven't accounted for that you should. I'd say a 3 hr layover is perfect.

You don't need an electricity converter for Japan, which is nice.

When I went overseas for the first time, I kept EVERY scrape of paper, receipt, paper menu, railway ticket stub, etc, and a written diary with sketches and drawings of the trip. I highly recommend keeping some sort of journal. Video journals are quite easy. I brought a small accordion binder to keep all my bits and miscellany. That helped preserve everything instead of jamming in my pockets or backpack.

We need @doomdragon6 to chime in here. Wasn't he over there for a bit with his girlfriend? Not to dredge that up.

Be adventurous and open-minded and free to try new things. Go with the flow. Get a Fodor's (or comparable) travel book for the area that you are visiting so that you don't miss something sweet.

Take your photos and videos, but don't forget to enjoy the place and be in the moment, and interact with folks. Memories are better than pictures.

I have a friend who was an exchange student in Japan for a semester. I can ask her for advice, but it might take a few weeks. She's having a baby tomorrow.

I've been to Japan twice.

1. Be prepared for an interminably long flight. Wear sandals on the plane so your feet can breathe. Drink lots of water in the couple days leading to your departure. Bring your own earbuds because they're probably much better quality than the airline headphones.

2. If you first arrive in your hotel during the day, try exploring everything within a two-block radius. It'll help with the jetlag and you'll find some interesting places.

3. Try a ramen house for dinner. You won't regret it.

Anyone based in the US and looking into international travel, I highly recommend getting a Schwab Investor Checking account. It refunds all bank ATM fees, domestic and international (bank ATMs only, not convenience store/mall kiosk/gas station ATMs). You have to sign up for a brokerage account, but mine is empty and never use it. I even told them I just wanted the checking account for international travel, and they had no problem with that.

I also have BofA and the Global ATM Alliance worked well in Europe for a while, until they added fees back in, even for alliance banks (so now it's the travel emergency backup card). If you don't yet have a credit card with no international transaction fees, look into those (if you aren't anti-credit card). Also, sign up for the frequent flyer and hotel reward programs that you'll be using on this trip.

Keep a fair amount of cash on your person, separated into smaller amounts in various locations. When travelling, I keep a stash in my sock, just in case someone decides that they need my wallet more than I do.

Keep some food items in your carry on, as well as a day's worth of clothes - you never know if your luggage might end up getting lost.

Jet lag is gonna suck. I tend to not be able to sleep the night before a big event anyways, and that's helped with trans-Atlantic travel in the past. Something to consider...

You might also be able to get a temporary SIM card for cheap as well to use.
When my wife and I went to Ireland, we left our (non-SIM) US phones at home, and got a cheap ($30) SIM phone from Eurobuzz. The rates were cheaper than what we would have paid with Sprint, even if we had US SIM phones.

They don't service Japan, but you may be able to find a similar company that does.

Scan your passport and put the pdf on a secure cloud client, just in case. I also took a photocopy version that I kept in my backpack. I am probably too paranoid.

@Terrik thank you thank you! My friend speaks Japanese relatively well, so I'm not as worried about the language. And I have learned the basics (hello, thank you, all versions of good morning, I don't understand, where is this, can you take our picture, etc etc). I think you covered most of any questions I had. :D

Thank you @Bubble181 . :heart: Haha, my friend already told me I'm going to be stared at - she said red hair and black people are the most odd to them. =^^= Solid advice all around though, thank you!

Ah, yes, I'll definitely have to make a doctors appointment, thank you for reminding me @PatrThom .

@drawn_inward I LOVE the idea of taking a sketch book! :D I'm an art major so that is right up my alley. We'll quite probably have a direct flight - so no layover to worry about. If we do have a layover, it's 6 hours in Honolulu.

I'd love your friends' advice @WasabiPoptart ! But no rush though - just whenever she has time. I'm not leaving until September anyway, so I've got time to plan.

Thank you @klew ! I'll look into the savings thing. I'm not sure I'll do it this trip since we'll only be dealing in cash - no cards. But it's good advice for my future trips.

Thanks guys for being so helpful! :heart: If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to let keep this thread going. =^^=

Last edited:
Japan stuff

It is considered culturally rude in Japan to come right out and say no, so people tend to frame disagreement as mildly-resisting agreement instead. If you suggest something to a Japanese person, and they sound only marginally approving, it usually means that they don't agree, and you should take that into account if you can. That doesn't mean that you should always concede, of course, but it will get you mentally in the right place for the conversation.

Japanese post offices will take most US ATM cards and will often charge no fees at all and offer standard exchange rates (note, your US bank *might* still charge you something, you should ask them).

They don't have physical sidewalks in Japan in a lot of places, so keep in mind you'll be walking "in" the street a lot, and in narrows streets you need to keep an eye out for cars. Also, remember that car lanes are the opposite directions than in the US, so on two-lane roads "facing traffic" is on the other side.

Japanese addresses don't really use streets as identifiers, they use zones, so street directions are a lot less "corner of X street and Y street" and more "go to B zone, look for C building, turn left past it and stop at D house" (and sometimes, "walk towards the pink sign with an elephant on it, turn left at the Circle K, turn right at the green service phone with the yellow sticker on it, walk one block, and it's the building next to the red laundromat"). It's not actually that confusing, but you may want to make a point of saving digital/physical Google Maps of zones you're going to. You may actually want to download an map app that supports downloaded digital maps of areas you're going to. There's a bunch of decent ones on both major app stores, though they usually charge for maps after a certain number of free downloads.

Look up a couple videos on basic etiquette. As a foreigner, you are not expected to know how to do it properly, but getting it right or close to right will win a lot of goodwill because the effort is appreciated.

If you're going to be homestaying, bring a small gift for your hosts. Nothing hugely expensive or large, but a nice token of consideration. Small things that represent where you are coming from tend to be appreciated a lot, as are non-Japanese food-stuffs (coffee is actually considered a really nice gift if it is good). Don't get anyone chocolate, especially guys (you might know this one already).

Street food in Japan, especially ramen, is awesome. Eat the shit out of it. Indian and Italian food is very popular in Japan, and its almost always worth trying the local variant if you want to try something different.

Japanese pubtrans is not 24-hours. Keep this in mind when planning your activities and check out local schedules.

Don't open your own taxi doors. Japanese taxis tend to have auto-doors and you'll get smacked in the face. I would personally avoid taxis, as they're really $$$, but sometimes it may be your only option.

General travel stuff

Practice packing your clothes. No really. Properly rolling up and packing your clothes can save you a ton of suitcase room. Consider packing cubes (I love Eagle Creek, personally).

Have as big a "personal item" (as opposed to "carry-on" bag, check the airline size limits) as possible and put "must-have" items in it, including electronics. There is a chance, if the flight is full, that all roll-aboard carry-on bags, regardless of the size, will get gate-checked, and you should make sure you still have your important stuff on you.

If you don't have some bad reaction to it, consider taking Melatonin with you and using it to re-balance your hormones and help you sleep the first couple days. As a tourist, you're going to want to switch your sleep cycle quickly, unless you intend to sleep during the day and stay out all night.

I very much second the "local SIM card" option if you have it.

Oh, and be aware of this...I watched a lot of ex-pat videos on living in Japan, and that front entryway is often considered "public"..delivery people will just walk right in a house and wait in that spot.

http://nisekoprojects.com/the-japanese-genkan/

as a texan "my home is my castle" type, that would freak me right out if I wasn't aware of it in advance.

Do not get in the way of old Japanese women carrying shopping bags, they will run your shit right over.

On a more sobering note, be aware that trains actually do have groping problems in Tokyo. Tokyo trains are packed to the gills, so gropers will try it because they can pass it off as typical subway car bumping. Physical retaliation is a bit problematic for all the normal reasons, but also because violent self-defense is a tricky issue in Japan, where violence of any kind is pretty heavily condemned. However, they're actively trying to come down on the problem, so raising a vocal fuss is encouraged. During the weekday, there are also female-only cars.

(That said, a friend of mine in the Jet program practically knocked a guy across a subway car for doing it as the train pulled up to a station, and he hightailed it out of the car)

Don't get anyone chocolate, especially guys (you might know this one already).
Wait, really? As a Belgian, chocolate is always my go-to gift, since "Belgian chocolate" is considered a luxury pretty much everywhere What do the Japanese have against chocolate?

Wait, really? As a Belgian, chocolate is always my go-to gift, since "Belgian chocolate" is considered a luxury pretty much everywhere What do the Japanese have against chocolate?
IIRC chocolate is usually reserved for romantic gifts, right? I know it's the usual gift for Valentine's Day and White Day (and that the guys are expected to spend ~3x as much as the girls did on them).

Haha @drawn_inward , as long as I can sleep on someone's couch! ;)

(Side note - I'm aware of quite a few of the rules, customs in Japan and my friend is VERY well versed, so I'm not worried about making a bad impression or feeling completely out of my element =^^=.)

Last edited:

Necronic

Staff member
In japan, at least when I was living there (late 80s early 90s), lots of restaurants will have plastic versions of their main menu items out in front of their store. When we were really desperate we would walk out there and point.

Pay attention to where you are renting hotel accommodations. Capsule hotels are a real thing in Japan, and they usually do not allow women in them.

Look up hand gestures that people might find offensive there, I can't remember what they are but it's different in every culture and it's an easy mistake to make.

If you have the opportunity try out a Mr Donut. They were great when I lived there.

Same thing with vending machines. Damn near every vending machine would have some kind of game attached to it. Occasionally you would win something weird.

See if you can hit a local festival as well. Be very respectful while you are there. They can be lots of fun.

See if you can find Taco Balls. Well...Tako balls really. They are not filled with taco meat.

Also, if you are a drinker, try and find one of those "all you can drink" bars. No joke. You pay a flat fee up front and then can just drink there all night. Probably not something you should do without a local present.

Japan stuff

It is considered culturally rude in Japan to come right out and say no, so people tend to frame disagreement as mildly-resisting agreement instead. If you suggest something to a Japanese person, and they sound only marginally approving, it usually means that they don't agree, and you should take that into account if you can. That doesn't mean that you should always concede, of course, but it will get you mentally in the right place for the conversation.
Oh man, so much this. I remember I used to have this little book titled "Salaryman in Japan" and it was a guide for western office workers on working with Japanese. There was a whole section about how you need to be careful when you ask someone to do something, because they will tell you "Yes" and then never do anything.[DOUBLEPOST=1429124383,1429124197][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh yeah, one other thing. Man. So I don't really know much about you other than that you cosplay a lot. I dunno if you're a big anime fan or not, but one mistake I find with a lot of anime fans is that they assume they know Japan from their studies and give this weird mystique to the Japanese, it's this sort of insulting orientalism. Don't get me wrong, there is some serious mystique over there (especially if you can visit Kyoto), but most people are just people. Also don't get naked and run around the moat of the imperial castle. That's just not cool.[DOUBLEPOST=1429124643][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh yeah and visit an arcade. Man. Arcades are dead in the US. They are something so totally different in Japan. Also hit an underground mall. They are a lot of fun

Now I'm curious because the hotel we're planning on staying at is a capsule hotel (we both find the idea quite fun actually and aren't put off by it) - I wonder if it's a 'women only' capsule hotel or what.

I'll have to ask Raye about it.

My studies of Japan are outside of anime, which I enjoy, but that's not the end all be all reason to go to Japan. Well, for us anyway. Raye has a sister who lived there for a while, and two of her friends are frequent visitors - so they're fluent in the language and in cultural norms. So, I'm really not worried about it.

Also, I don't drink. =^^=

Necronic

Staff member
You should definitely check it out. Lots of capsule hotels are male only.

ed: This is because they use shared bathroom facilities.

Ed2: Worth mentioning that lots aren't as well. Capsule hotels are kind of a weird market.

Right, we actually discussed how we'll probably be showering together - we're weird - so I know it's all shared bath.

(I jokingly told Pez that if there isn't some grade A Halforums fanfiction about her and I by the time I get back, I'll be disappointed. HAHA!)

GAH, I'm just so excited to go and explore, find fun places, eat awesome street food, enjoy time with my friend, throw in some spontaneity for an all around awesome vacation.