[News] in an uncharacteristic move: U.S. gov restored my faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's easy to say "police reform." That's not very descriptive of what is being reformed, or how it is accomplished.

Necronic

Staff member
This is how I imagine Charlie at home:

Wife/gf/friend/Moshi- "Man this is some good weather"

Charlie - "you know small Africans are dying of aids in droves while we go and bomb brown people".

----

Also seriously STFU unless you are willing to actually do anything about it. You sit in your white collar job in a position of extreme priveledge complaining about how nobody does anything to fix the world while doin nothing to fix the world. Complaining is easy, anyone can do it. Doing something abou it is hard.

You want to do something? Go join the peace corps. A number of m friends have done it and it really does make a difference. Or, go work for a non profit. I did that for 3 years and it's an experience I would never give up. Or, make significant donations to charities of your choice. That money makes a real difference.

All of those things make a huge difference. Guess what doesn't? Being a sanctimonious blowhard on the Internet.

Edit: you know what, I'm being unfair. Perhaps you do these things already. Charlie, here is your chance to nut up or STFU. What do YOU do in your life to change the world? Remember, "Be the change you want to see in the world".

Abolish the death penalty, pull out all troops/drones from the Middle East, legalize drugs, police reform.

I didn't realize I had to report to you guys everything I do regarding each issue to be able to have an opinion
Doing all of those, just like that, without any extra measures, will result in:
1) More vigilante-killings
2) More instability in the ME, leading to scores more dead - most probably, without outside help, the revolution in Libya'd have failed and thatin Syria is having trouble even *with* help - you okay with letting thousands extra die and perhaps a decade or more of torment and oppression?
3) More problems like where does it come from, where does it go (...cotton-eye Joe?); funding terrorists, suddenly forgiving all former smugglers, what're you going to do?
4) Police reform by whom? The current bigwigs and top brass will just"reform" it to have more cronies and more nepotistically appointed fat cats, and don't give a hoot about how it'll affect things in the street.

That's still not "suggesting solutions" - that's chanting slogans. Both ways - "abolish gay marriage" is easy; it's hard to say how/where/what you'll do with those already married, for example.
There's a difference between "just do what I want in magical make belief country" and "this is a possible solution I can support and that can, over the next several years, help us accomplish this goal I think we should strive for".[DOUBLEPOST=1354907969][/DOUBLEPOST]
I can get behind all of these.
For the record, so can I. I'm just saying those aren't serious/practical "solutions".

Good and noble causes? He white knighted OSAMA BIN LADEN, FFS.

Fuck you, Charlie. Just fuck you.
So? Human rights are human rights. If you believe all man are created equal under God, and all men have equal rights, than Bin Laden had the right to a fair trial and a hearing, which he didn't get. I mean, you'd have to import Martians to find someone who wouldn't find him guilty, probably, but that's besides the point. Even Evil Bastards have human rights.
Otherwise, you're allowing your own judgement to blind yourself. Who are you to judge Mother Theresa a better person than Osama Bin Laden? There are probably people out there who would disagree (and they'd be wrong, according to me, for the record!). Either the US government can take right into their own hands and assassinate inconvenient people, but than so can, say, China or Saudi-Arabia; or nobody has the "moral right" to decide who else gets to live or die without a trial.
Assuming your on moral superiority is something we all tend to do (myself most certainly included!), but it's technically wrong.
Mind you that I'm happy he's dead, and he didn't exactly deserve any leniency.

This is how I imagine Charlie at home:

Wife/gf/friend/Moshi- "Man this is some good weather"

Charlie - "you know small Africans are dying of aids in droves while we go and bomb brown people".
He has no significant other, but amusing scenario none the less. :)

Oh and he won't -nut up- and tell us what he does because:

1: It's sexist to say -nut up
2: He's not the kind of person to brag about his do-good charity work and social work to help push the forward the reform he tells us the world needs everyday.
:rolleyes:

We go through this nearly every time he posts his funny troll posts. He really does get a kick out of the predictable responses that follow.

It's easy to say "police reform." That's not very descriptive of what is being reformed, or how it is accomplished.
Well the first step would be to completely nationalize it of course. This way we would only have to change one law enforcement agency instead of 50 state trooper departments and 3033 county sheriff offices, and the multiple local city Police Departments that work inside each of the counties. Now we only have 1 set of policies to worry about. Wait, no sorry. I forgot about the SBIs. We should probably just abolish those.

As for step two, a policy letter should be enough right? Or do you think we'll need quotas on white arrests to get them up to the level of black arrests?

Necronic

Staff member
To be fair, I wouldn't normally go after someone about that. People's charity work/donations is a private issue. The problem with Charlie is that, as far as I can tell, all he's sees in the world are problems and it's mostly OUR fault because we dont have the right priorities (which he is here to enlighten us on.). What he does is actually far worse than just saying "nut up or STFU", he flat out assumes we do nothing and don't give a shit, which I find deeply offensive.

So yeah, here's the gauntlet. What do you ACTUALLY do to change the world, beyond telling us how WE should fix it?

He'll be back, with more random, liberal versions of "What about the children" type tropes to rain on the parade of anyone who thinks America should be praised for anything they do right.

Status
Not open for further replies.