iMovie alternatives?

Assume you mean for stitching together movies from clips?
Besides the venerable Windows Movie Maker*, there are quite a few other "free" options.
Lightworks
Blender (yes, that Blender)
Avidemux
And also this other one, but make sure to decline the attempts to install other crap (because CNET).
Full disclosure, I haven't used any of these (except Blender, but it's been a decade or two since then).

--Patrick
*One caveat: The newest version comes with extra Microsoft stuff bundled in, but it is the only way to get the newer features.

GasBandit

Staff member
Windows Movie Maker, as Dei linked, is an acceptable place to start, most of the time. That's how I got my start, and all the real moneymaking videos on my youtube channel (read: my first 6 Space Engineers tutorials) and the first 8 or so Halforums Academy videos all were made in Windows Movie Maker.

That said, if you really get into making videos, you'll start to want to do things that WMM doesn't really do well, such as zoom/pan/overlay with precision direction or have better fonts or use special effects such as blur on certain defined areas of the screen, etc, you'll have to look into stepping up to Adobe Premiere, which (since Adobe has moved to subscription pricing) will run you $20/mo (or $50/mo if you want all the Adobe CC products, like Photoshop, After Effects which is Photoshop for videos, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, etc).

Or maybe you know a handsome, rakish fellow who knows where such things routinely fall off trucks.

If Adobe isn't expensive enough for you and you like feeling helplessly lost and confused, you could also try Sony Vegas, which is probably by far the most powerful video editing software on the market but is only slightly less complicated, arcane and intricate as flying the space shuttle, starting at $400 and going up from there.

I'd like something more advanced than Win Movie maker. I have the GoPro software, so I guess it's as good as iMovie?

If you have zero experience editing movies, you should start with WMM. It'll at least get you used to the idea of stitching together clips to tell a story.
If you have some experience with iMovie, then aside from learning a new interface, any of the other alternatives should be fine, which one you pick up is going to depend more on how much money you want to pay and/or whether or not the package you pick can do That Thing You Want To Do or supports That Plug-In You Want To Use.

--Patrick