[Bug] Imgur issues

I've noticed something with the "skinny line" problem. At least in chrome, it always happens when I either open the post in a new tab and it's not the visible tab, or it's not the displayed post when I just click on the link to open in the current tab. More often than not, the post will open fine if it's the current post in the current tab. Previous posts in that tab get the line until I refresh. Haven't tested in firefox yet. But the behavior appears consistent.

Rather than a skinny line, when it happens to me I usually end up with just the top 40px or so of the image, but the full width.

—Patrick

I'm less convinced it's an imgur thing now that I've started to see a brief flash of the full image changing to the line when I switch tabs.

Yeah, no. It's not an imgur thing after all. Firefox loads all those images just fine. Only got zoink'd once out of 20 or so.

So it's either Chrome or the board not playing nice with Chrome.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wonder if it has something to do with the latest version of firefox implementing tracking blocking natively.

I'll say that I don't have the problem with Opera, which like Chrome also uses the Blink engine (though admittedly I also run uBO and Disconnect).
So it's more likely to be specifically a Chrome thing or a tracking thing.
And now I'm really finally going to bed I promise.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, I haven't seen it in the last few days either, but I've always used firefox at work, and I know I've gotten the thin lines and errant "zoinks" there too. That's what makes me wonder if it's the tracking filters they added earlier this week.

I mean, I haven't seen it in the last few days either, but I've always used firefox at work, and I know I've gotten the thin lines and errant "zoinks" there too. That's what makes me wonder if it's the tracking filters they added earlier this week.
Firefox updated on me tonight on my laptop, but I don't recall seeing any skinny line posts.

What I do know is a lot of my issues with this laptop lately has turned out to be the latest Chrome being a little bitch. Trying to surf reddit or watch YouTube or CR has been either a slog or numerous display glitches. FF has been on it's best behavior the last few nights.

OTOH, none of those hiccups happen on the desktop. AMD drivers on both sides for years.

I have a different problem. I usually use Safari on my phone. When any imgur gallery is posted, only a small side portion is shown. As I try to scroll the full image will slide by quickly, and then the next picture is obscured in the same way. Always just a small slice of the left side is visible.

If I try to go to imgur from the gallery by clicking on it, then the Imgur page is blank.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have a different problem. I usually use Safari on my phone. When any imgur gallery is posted, only a small side portion is shown. As I try to scroll the full image will slide by quickly, and then the next picture is obscured in the same way. Always just a small slice of the left side is visible.

If I try to go to imgur from the gallery by clicking on it, then the Imgur page is blank.
Hrm, sounds like imgur doesn't play nice with safari mobile.

Understand, nothing about the imgur plugin is actually in our control. The entire thing is 3rd party code to "translate" the imgur embedded gallery api into a format that can be inserted into xenforo's post structure. None of it is customizable at our end. Whether it works or not is up to whatever black-box conversion happens on the github server of the author.

As such, I don't know whether the problem lies with the xenforo plugin or the imgur api itself - and both are just as likely as the other. All we can do is keep ourselves on the latest version, and hope.

Ah, so this is not just me.
I thought it was the phone as well, but it also happens on iPad Safari, so this is not a screen size issue.
When loading the page, the embed will show up properly for a split second, but then it will realign itself into the problem you describe.
As for going to the imgur page itself, I have discovered a workaround:
Code:
https://imgur.com/gallery/V8yO3FJ#xOaeLFm
The above link works fine on desktop/laptop, but not on mobile. However, if you select V8yO3FJ#xOaeLFm and remove the portion in red (everything after and including the pound/hashtag) from the address bar, then it works.
Code:
https://imgur.com/gallery/V8yO3FJ
--Patrick

Hrm, sounds like imgur doesn't play nice with safari mobile.

Understand, nothing about the imgur plugin is actually in our control. The entire thing is 3rd party code to "translate" the imgur embedded gallery api into a format that can be inserted into xenforo's post structure. None of it is customizable at our end. Whether it works or not is up to whatever black-box conversion happens on the github server of the author.

As such, I don't know whether the problem lies with the xenforo plugin or the imgur api itself - and both are just as likely as the other. All we can do is keep ourselves on the latest version, and hope.
I suspected it was an imgur problem or Safari problem and not a board issue, but thank you very much for clarifying it.

Not wanting to make a new thread, but it's related: The github.io media catch-all link (the three dots pull-down option) is borking twitter links, imgur links, anything links. All I generally see is a blank post.

I try the "show this frame in a new tab" thing and with tweets it says "disable your ad blocker".

GasBandit

Staff member
Not wanting to make a new thread, but it's related: The github.io media catch-all link (the three dots pull-down option) is borking twitter links, imgur links, anything links. All I generally see is a blank post.

I try the "show this frame in a new tab" thing and with tweets it says "disable your ad blocker".
What browser are you using?

The error, which has github.io as the site, says "Cannot load tweet. Disable your adblocker and tracking protection" when I click on a link to a tweet. When I click on that, it opens the actual tweet in another tab.

GasBandit

Staff member
FF 69.0.1 for WindozeX. I have ABP installed but not blocking anything at HF or Github.
I'm using ff 69.0.1 on windows 7 at home, and using the latest chrome at work on windows 10, and am not running into this. The difference may be ABP - I use uBlock origin at work and AdNauseam at home. Or you might have inadvertently added a custom filter at some point which is adversely affecting github.

I use chrome and AdBlockPlus at home, don't have the issue. Do have that at work, but, well, they actually block Twitter, so that's just normal :p

Let's see...

EDIT: Okay, the Imgur photo shows up if I post it as an image. The Twitter post only comes up with a Twitter bird icon, and when I click that, it comes up with that error message...

Now to post the imgur photo as a Media link:

EDIT: Okay, it came up, as I had the imgur photo as an image. BUUUUUTTT... it doesn't come up when I use the MEDIA link.

What can bork the MEDIA link on my browser?

GasBandit

Staff member
All three worked for me immediately, not even requiring refreshing the page or anything.

I'd advise checking/flushing out your custom filters in ABP.

...I deleted it to see if that might be the problem.

It's got to be something in FF. (cursing) Chrome's showing both.

EDIT: Nope, the twitter thing seems to be broken. I disabled ABP and it still isn't working. I did eliminate custom filters and it's still borked...

Last edited:
DuckDuckGo is "The search engine that doesn't track you." Unfortunately, they don't tell you they bork your web browsing, too.

So now I'm seeing some imgur posts that not only won't play when they're supposed to, when I try to open the link in a new tab, I get a blank screen. I have to open the link in an incognito window to get anything at all.

So now I'm seeing some imgur posts that not only won't play when they're supposed to, when I try to open the link in a new tab, I get a blank screen. I have to open the link in an incognito window to get anything at all.
I posted an explanation and workaround for this a few posts back. :)
Basically if imgur gives you any issue, chop off their stupid session tag.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I posted an explanation and workaround for this a few posts back. :)
Basically if imgur gives you any issue, chop off their stupid session tag.

--Patrick
Doesn't work. There is no session tag. When I click the link, the imgur site tab is a blank grey screen. Cutting off the id of the post, and then reattaching it to an open imgur home page works.

It has to be something in the way xenforo hands things off to imgur? Even when logged out, I still get a blank grey screen clicking on the link from the board.

If you open in a new tab, try clicking on the address, then hitting enter to reload the page. Works for me when Imgur doesn't show.

BTW this only seems to work in cases where there's no extra tag like in Patrick's example.

Last edited: